Toast Scott Thompson Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have always loved his effort especially in the past 3 weeks, if even half of our team showed as much as he does we'd be playing much better footy, that being said I still feel his inclusion has upset the midfield mix as well as clearance method & the roles of the other midfielders around stoppages which has felt compromised since he came back into the team.

He continues to produce elite stoppage numbers on the stat sheet but like throughout his career he's brought back a lot of the old the quick no look bang it on the boot method that in the pre-season Phil had tried stamp out by getting the team to use their hands and extra man to make cleaner smarter decisions from the stoppages, which has really fallen away with the whole team getting dragged back into bad habits.

Plus have to say watching Gray, Boak, Ebert and even Aaron Young push off and run away from him & expose his inability to two way run was just way to easy & repetitive tonight.

Love the bloke & what he's done for 10 years at the footy club but just don't know if he's become more of a hindrance then a help in the overall scheme of things.

Have always loved his effort especially in the past 3 weeks, if even half of our team showed as much as he does we'd be playing much better footy, that being said I still feel his inclusion has upset the midfield mix as well as clearance method & the roles of the other midfielders around stoppages which has felt compromised since he came back into the team.

He continues to produce elite stoppage numbers on the stat sheet but like throughout his career he's brought back a lot of the old the quick no look bang it on the boot method that in the pre-season Phil had tried stamp out by getting the team to use their hands and extra man to make cleaner smarter decisions from the stoppages, which has really fallen away with the whole team getting dragged back into bad habits.

Plus have to say watching Gray, Boak, Ebert and even Aaron Young push off and run away from him & expose his inability to two way run was just way to easy & repetitive tonight.

Love the bloke & what he's done for 10 years at the footy club but just don't know if he's become more of a hindrance then a help in the overall scheme of things.
Love Thommo but have the same issues.

Other mids seem more reluctant to go for the ball, especially CEY.

And our ball movement and chasing has completely fallen away.

173563-663a5b1c-2dfb-11e5-acc9-b1d2ead0aaf5.jpg

With a correctly structured midfield and no sub, he's good for another year.

Hope not, been a fantastic player for us but gets exposed unless Sauce puts it down his throat.

Watch closely at the centre bounces, if he is close to an opposition player and the ball doesn't go directly to him the bloke he is on gathers and runs off under no pressure - is part of the problem to our first quarter no shows.

Hope not, been a fantastic player for us but gets exposed unless Sauce puts it down his throat.

Watch closely at the centre bounces, if he is close to an opposition player and the ball doesn't go directly to him the bloke he is on gathers and runs off under no pressure - is part of the problem to our first quarter no shows.
Yeah has been great and seems to get better as a game goes on as the younger players tire out. i hate to say it cause i loved him as a player especially the last few years but i feel like this could be a paul chapman situation if he plays on, where its obvious he went a year too long. Will probably go down as our best pure inside footballer alongside bickley, great on the inside but disposal was always questionable. Could never question his intent or his endeavour, carried the team through our poor periods.

If we give Thommo a year contract it better be cheap. Love what he has done for the club but he is 33 next season and I think we have all seen a champ player play one season too many, heck, we had 4 do it a few years back. Really hope we don't get caught up in the romance part of it and look at it seriously from a business perspective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently channel 9s Tom Rehn reported that Thomo is close to signing a new 1 year contract. Obviously he'd either retire or play with us but how much cap space would he demand? Assume not a whole not but anyone have any idea? 200k mark?

I still think he's underrated. He's been enormous at times this season, still racks up huge numbers, and isn't really any worse defensively than he's been for his whole career. Has his deficiencies like any player but very valuable.

Hopefully next year doesn't prove to be one too many, but this season's been more than good enough to warrant one more go around.

Yeah a 1 yr at small money is no big deal. I'd hope that he plays a role similae to Pods this year, or maybe start the year and phase himself out as it goes on.

All depends on PD and also if Crouch can get fit.

Has been a champ for the club and will be key in the finals charge.

Hope he makes it to 300 somehow. Genuinely a fantastic player and deserved the medal at the last Showdown.

Yeah a 1 yr at small money is no big deal. I'd hope that he plays a role similae to Pods this year, or maybe start the year and phase himself out as it goes on.

All depends on PD and also if Crouch can get fit.

Has been a champ for the club and will be key in the finals charge.

Why would you assume small money? He is performing in top 5 at the club IMO and nothing suggests his body isnt holding up and that he cant go another year. He would demand as much as he is getting paid now.

You sure?
|

Wikipedia says he's played 265 games. Only 35 games to go. He may just miss out.

Yeah my bad, rleage stats page I referenced showed 242 and that of course didnt include the games for melbourne (39) making it 281.
So yeah easily make 300. No chance of making 400, I will be right about that :)

image.jpg

Thought this was pretty cool, caught the same plane home as the team and Scott Thompson's son Harry sat up with all the players, and has his dad's old #5 Puma backpack. He'd be absolutely in his element, father son selection in 15 years hopefully!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back