VanDemonxx

Club Legend
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dees have offered him a 1 year deal, into a coaching role for 2018

Close with Goodwin

Thoughts? Personally it doesn't make sense

Doesn't really make sense with what we're trying to do. But, he's still bloody got it and I'd have him on our list for a season than a wealth of names. Might be that one last solid, experienced mid we need to help us push deep into finals while our younger guys continue to develop into guns.

I don't get it considering we have a midfield lacking pace and running power

I don't get it considering we have a midfield lacking pace and running power
I think it's more to do with the long term coaching prospect. Thommo would very good to teach our young inside mids a thing or two.

Given the potential circumstances of him being appointed as a player and then coach it would make sense. We desperately need experience in the side. My real concern is he'll be 34 next year and has already declined somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It surprises me that player-to-coach contracts aren't made illegal by the AFL.

Seems it provides an opportunity for a team to offer someone like Buddy a deal like Sydney gave him, except that the last three years are a "coaching role" (which really means, paying them a huge salary outside the cap for three years beyond the end of the their playing career, in return for underpaying them while they were playing).

Seems it provides an opportunity for a team to offer someone like Buddy a deal like Sydney gave him, except that the last three years are a "coaching role" (which really means, paying them a huge salary outside the cap for three years beyond the end of the their playing career, in return for underpaying them while they were playing).

It's hard to see how it can really be policed if they did though. It'd just move to an "understanding" that they become a coach thereafter.

Demons would be better going after Boomer... at least he fills a 'need' for the side and looks like he still has enough for 2017.

Love Thommo as a player but you'd have to think he's pretty much done after this finals campaign.

If a club wants to overpay an untried assistant coach, that's their prerogative. It's still a bit of a gamble as they don't really know how the player will fair as a coach. I also think it's a good thing for older players. You might feel like you've got 1 or 2 good years left, but don't want to move your whole family just for a short amount of time. 3 to 4 years would make it worth your while.

I don't see it as a problem.

How would you feel if Collingwood or Hawthorn offered Rory Sloane a six year deal on $450K per year, into a three year coaching contract of $1M per year?

I know that's an extreme example, but it's where we'll likely end up if the AFL doesn't put a stop to it.
There's a cap on footy department spending which would limit things like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back