News Scott Thompson in development role at Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide were speaking to Thompson for years. We showed no interest until Carr left. We were years behind the 8-ball with this one. Everyone was to blame.

At least we learned our lesson albeit after a number of years.

Thought I’d bump this thread, as I haven’t heard anything about Scott for a while. Is he still around?

Thought I’d bump this thread, as I haven’t heard anything about Scott for a while. Is he still around?
Yep, and I think there was an article just a few days ago where SPP talked about how much Thompson had helped him with his footy.

Scott, as Janey posted above, there was an article in Friday's The Advertiser in which Sam Powell-Pepper attribute a lot of his development to Scott Thompson.

"... Powell-Pepper's development is a tribute to the football and life lessons offered by Power midfield coach Michael Voss and the newest member of the football staff at Alberton, foremer Crows midfielder Scott Thompson. ... "Scott's made his mark with everyone straight away. We'll catch up away from the club with Scott helping me avoid being just a 'good' second year player but getting to my best straight away. He has been a good guy to talk to outside the club as a mentor""

So the report says tgat SPP has attributed his development to Scott Thompson but I can't see his game being different to last season. Also I wouldn't want SPP turning into a player like his mentor. I think SPP hasn't improved and I think his start of his first season was where he showed a normal level of football skills. Since then he's been turned into another dogged Hinkley mid that is beginning to take on the tackle more often than not.

So the report says tgat SPP has attributed his development to Scott Thompson but I can't see his game being different to last season. Also I wouldn't want SPP turning into a player like his mentor. I think SPP hasn't improved and I think his start of his first season was where he showed a normal level of football skills. Since then he's been turned into another dogged Hinkley mid that is beginning to take on the tackle more often than not.
He definitely changed after he did his shoulder vs West Coast.

SPP has been more versatile in his play this year. Has done run with roles, run and carry and inside battering ram. His spread and work rate were evident even from trial games. His early season disruption didn't help but he has been close to our top mid this season. Exercising better judgement with taking the tackle on but still gets caught occasionally.

I wouldn't say he's exploded or anything, but purely looking at the stats suggests that he has slightly improved: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=6344&pid2=6344&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2017

Considering players like McGrath/Burton have whimpered off, I'd say this is solid progress.

Merely avoiding the 2nd year blues is a win for a 2nd year player IMO. Improvement on such a stellar debut season is a bonus.

He will still take 2-3 years to find the composure and confidence to add the finesse and outside play to his game IMO.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't say he's exploded or anything, but purely looking at the stats suggests that he has slightly improved: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...&pid1=6344&pid2=6344&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2017

Considering players like McGrath/Burton have whimpered off, I'd say this is solid progress.

Yeah perhaps so.

It's not about other players though.

Lokan said that our performance last week against Glenelg was "fantastic" because we won the stats we set out to improve from peevious week's drubbing but we still got smashed. Stats have a place but the best measuring tool is still the eye.

I worry that we're not nurturing Pepper properly.

Can see Thompson's hardness coming through in this midfield. It's not consistent as we all know but the signs are there that it is becoming more ingrained. He speaks well and gets his message across.

Can see Thompson's hardness coming through in this midfield. It's not consistent as we all know but the signs are there that it is becoming more ingrained. He speaks well and gets his message across.

With due respect, I don't buy into the notion of players morphing into their line coaches / mentors.
But yes, I feel the midfield is functioning reasonably well save for the Bulldogs debacle and we have got some big and aggro units operating in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back