Too far from the heartland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Rigs

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thought I’d bump this thread, as I haven’t heard anything about Scott for a while. Is he still around?

Steve Dore

International Trade Facilitator
Aug 30, 2004
a three hour tour.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Canadiens, Ports
Thought I’d bump this thread, as I haven’t heard anything about Scott for a while. Is he still around?
Scott, as Janey posted above, there was an article in Friday's The Advertiser in which Sam Powell-Pepper attribute a lot of his development to Scott Thompson.

"... Powell-Pepper's development is a tribute to the football and life lessons offered by Power midfield coach Michael Voss and the newest member of the football staff at Alberton, foremer Crows midfielder Scott Thompson. ... "Scott's made his mark with everyone straight away. We'll catch up away from the club with Scott helping me avoid being just a 'good' second year player but getting to my best straight away. He has been a good guy to talk to outside the club as a mentor""

PA88

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the report says tgat SPP has attributed his development to Scott Thompson but I can't see his game being different to last season. Also I wouldn't want SPP turning into a player like his mentor. I think SPP hasn't improved and I think his start of his first season was where he showed a normal level of football skills. Since then he's been turned into another dogged Hinkley mid that is beginning to take on the tackle more often than not.

Fizzler

#BarUp
Dec 26, 2013
Just refuelling ⛽
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, LVB, STORM
So the report says tgat SPP has attributed his development to Scott Thompson but I can't see his game being different to last season. Also I wouldn't want SPP turning into a player like his mentor. I think SPP hasn't improved and I think his start of his first season was where he showed a normal level of football skills. Since then he's been turned into another dogged Hinkley mid that is beginning to take on the tackle more often than not.
He definitely changed after he did his shoulder vs West Coast.

Killer Power

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
SPP is having a very solid second year. More inside than last year I think. This has meant he isn’t hitting the scoreboard as much as last year though which I wouldn’t want him to lose as he has the ability to launch those big goals that makes the opposition defence second guess about sitting back.

Ford Fairlane

Feb 21, 2002
Port Adelaide 5015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
SPP has been more versatile in his play this year. Has done run with roles, run and carry and inside battering ram. His spread and work rate were evident even from trial games. His early season disruption didn't help but he has been close to our top mid this season. Exercising better judgement with taking the tackle on but still gets caught occasionally.

chickentendies

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wouldn't say he's exploded or anything, but purely looking at the stats suggests that he has slightly improved: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=14&playerStatus2=A&tid2=14&type=A&pid1=6344&pid2=6344&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2017

Considering players like McGrath/Burton have whimpered off, I'd say this is solid progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PA88

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wouldn't say he's exploded or anything, but purely looking at the stats suggests that he has slightly improved: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=14&playerStatus2=A&tid2=14&type=A&pid1=6344&pid2=6344&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2017

Considering players like McGrath/Burton have whimpered off, I'd say this is solid progress.
Yeah perhaps so.

It's not about other players though.

Lokan said that our performance last week against Glenelg was "fantastic" because we won the stats we set out to improve from peevious week's drubbing but we still got smashed. Stats have a place but the best measuring tool is still the eye.

I worry that we're not nurturing Pepper properly.

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can see Thompson's hardness coming through in this midfield. It's not consistent as we all know but the signs are there that it is becoming more ingrained. He speaks well and gets his message across.
With due respect, I don't buy into the notion of players morphing into their line coaches / mentors.
But yes, I feel the midfield is functioning reasonably well save for the Bulldogs debacle and we have got some big and aggro units operating in there.

Top Bottom