Scott: Waite's best footy is ahead of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, what?

You wan't Scott to publicly come out and say Daw is s**t and we got it wrong drafting him? I'd love to see the thread that follows those comments.

I'm not sure how much of a football follower you are, but Daw is actually quite a dominant VFL player. He deserves a spot on an AFL list, even if it's as a backup, which has been the case for most of his career.

As has been said, it's last chance saloon for him, he's more than likely in his last contract. At the end of the day, he was a rookie selection.
So just to get this right.

You are happy to have a guy on your list who has only managed 32 games in 9 years of which 31 have been pretty poor?

You are happy to have a guy on your list who has only managed 32 games in 9 years of which 31 have been pretty poor?

Well that's incorrect.

31 have not been as you put it, pretty poor.

This is clearly a make or break season for Majak. I think you will find he would have played over a 100 games for us had we not had the premier ruckman in the comp from 2014-2016. He is a ruckman, unfortunately for him, he is 3rd in line for that role.

Also, In that 9 years he has been on our list Melbourne haven't played finals or beaten us, so I guess it could be worse.

Well that's incorrect.

31 have not been as you put it, pretty poor.

This is clearly a make or break season for Majak. I think you will find he would have played over a 100 games for us had we not had the premier ruckman in the comp from 2014-2016. He is a ruckman, unfortunately for him, he is 3rd in line for that role.

Also, In that 9 years he has been on our list Melbourne haven't played finals or beaten us, so I guess it could be worse.
Trying to deflect with insulting my club does not change the fact that Majak Daw is not an AFL player.

Granted his best position is ruck and he has been behind Goldstein but he is a pretty piss AFL ruckman

actions, not words. Who cares what anyone says, especially Scott, when the club keep signing the guy up, over and over again
As a pure ruck back up, some clubs could do worse. He was signed up after a decent 4-goal final and other clubs, that's right, other clubs, were chasing him. 3 years too much? Sure, 2 years would have been much better under the circumstances, even if he played VFL most of the time and was purely a ruck back up.

He's depth, that's why he's been on the list as long as he has, it's why spuds like your own McKernan keep getting contracts, not to mention Carlton keeping Simon White on a list for far too long, when it is clear to most that they will never dominate or fully succeed at AFL level.

Were you happy to have a guy on Melbourne's list that had played 38 games in 10 years?

It's the nature of the position, decent VFL level ruckman (especially ones that can kick a few goals) will generally have a role on an AFL list.

Were you happy to have a guy on Melbourne's list that had played 38 games in 10 years?

It's the nature of the position, decent VFL level ruckman (especially ones that can kick a few goals) will generally have a role on an AFL list.
Not particularly.

tbf if the coaching department at North thought he was good backup ruck/forward they wouldn't be playing him as a FB

Not particularly.

tbf if the coaching department at North thought he was good backup ruck/forward they wouldn't be playing him as a FB

I think that's more to do with the rapid development of Braydon Preuss more than anything, which has happened inside of this current contract of Majaks.

When Majak signed that contract he was the #2 ruckman.

Preuss was a rugby convert that GC didn't want out of their academy.

A fair bit has changed since he signed it. As supporters we aren't really complaining about it as Preuss may be the #1 as early as this season.

I swear Majak's tenure grows by a year every few weeks. He has been a Senior Listed player for 5 years total.

He was drafted in December 2010 as a rookie, it was well noted at the time that he was raw and a long term prospect. He was not elevated to the Senior List until 2012 and didn't make his debut until Round 4, 2013.

In 2015 he was delisted and re-Rookied, and finished the 2016 season with 4 goals in an Elimination Final vs Adelaide.

Yes his 2017 form was average (vs expectations after his end to 2016) and he didn't play many games, but no one expected Preuss to rise like he did so quickly either.

For some reason people are not able to get their head around the fact that just because a bloke is big and black, he is not automatically a superstar of the game. Even stranger, because he is big and black and not likely to go on and be a superstar, people are screaming for him to be delisted immediately.

Compare the attention Majak gets to lifetime AFL player Cam Pedersen who just achieved his first solid 15 game season at the ripe old age of 30. Pedersen had to wait until Gawn went down injured to even get that chance.

Last edited:
I swear Majak's tenure grows by a year every few weeks. He has been a Senior Listed player for 5 years total.

He was drafted in December 2010 as a rookie, it was well noted at the time that he was raw and a long term prospect. He was not elevated to the Senior List until 2012 and didn't make his debut until Round 4, 2013.

In 2015 he was delisted and re-Rookied, and finished the 2016 season with 4 goals in an Elimination Final vs Adelaide.

Yes his 2017 form was average (vs expectations after his end to 2016) and he didn't play many games, but no one expected Preuss to rise like he did so quickly either.

For some reason people are not able to get their head around the fact that just because a bloke is big and black, he is not automatically a superstar of the game. Even stranger, because he is big and black and not likely to go on and be a superstar, people are screaming for him to be delisted immediately.

Compare the attention Majak gets to lifetime AFL player Cam Pedersen who just achieved his first solid 15 game season at the ripe old age of 30. Pedersen had to wait until Gawn went down injured to even get that chance.
Wow. There is so much wrong with this post.

Point 1, No one on here made any mention of his skin colour until you did. Why you need to pull the race card I'm unsure.

Point 2, Majak Daw was drafted was drafted in 2010 so he has now been on an AFL list for 8 years (I apologise I was out by a year). Whether part of that time was as a rookie is irrelevant. The fact is he was still on an AFL list.

Point 3,the comparison to Cam Pederson is stupid (who is no star). Pederson was drafted as a mature age player and in less time on an AFL list has played more than double the games that Daw has. Pederson also played 19 games in 2014 and the reason he missed so much football over the last few seasons has been due to injury!

Another point is Pederson can actually find the football and doesn't look lost on an AFL field 99% of the time as opposed to Daw.

Wow. There is so much wrong with this post.

Nah, it's pretty spot on.

Point 1, No one on here made any mention of his skin colour until you did. Why you need to pull the race card I'm unsure.

Not using the race card, merely pointing out that people have unreal expectations on a 32 game player based on nothing except for his athleticism, look and size; he wasn't a high draft pick, he is not highly paid and he does not go out of his way to spruik his own talent.

Also that there is a strange phenomenon with Majak whereby people are excitedly eager to write him off and call for his delisting, like you are in this thread about Jarrad Waite.

Point 2, Majak Daw was drafted was drafted in 2010 so he has now been on an AFL list for 8 years (I apologise I was out by a year). Whether part of that time was as a rookie is irrelevant. The fact is he was still on an AFL list.

Nah, December 2010 - February 2018 = 7 years (2 years Rookie, 5 years Senior)

The comparison to Cam Pederson is stupid. Pederson was drafted as a mature age player and in less time on an AFL list has played more than double the games that Daw has. Pederson also played 19 games in 2014 and the reason he missed so much football over the last few seasons has been due to injury!

Another point is Pederson can actually find the football and doesn't look lost on an AFL field 99% of the time

Nah, Pedersen has been a senior player for 7 years....he was playing senior footy for North the same year Majak was drafted.

As for his superior ability, they both play predominantly as Forward-Rucks......Majak averages more Hitouts and more Goals.

Last edited:
Nah, it's pretty spot on.

Not using the race card, merely pointing out that people have unreal expectations on a 32 game player based on nothing except for his athleticism, look and size. Also that there is a strange phenomenon with Majak whereby people are excitedly eager to write him off and call for his delisting, like you are in this thread about Jarrad Waite.

Nah, December 2010 - February 2018 = 7 years (2 years Rookie, 5 years Senior)

Nah, Pedersen has been a senior player for 7 years....he was playing senior footy for North the same year Majak was drafted.

As for his superior ability, they both play predominantly as Forward-Rucks......Majak averages more Hitouts and more Goals.
well I guess that settles it then.

You have convinced me Majak Daw is a quality AFL player (even though he averages less than 5 games a year & less than 8 touches a game and looks lost on the ground). The only reason anyone is critical of his poor albeit limited games over a long period of time is because he is black.

I wish him well playing as a FB, but he would want to improve out of sight given his performance on Sat

well I guess that settles it then.

You have convinced me Majak Daw is a quality AFL player (even though he averages less than 5 games a year & less than 8 touches a game and looks lost on the ground). The only reason anyone is critical of his poor albeit limited games over a long period of time is because he is black.

I wish him well playing as a FB, but he would want to improve out of sight given his performance on Sat

When all else fails, go with the strawman.

When all else fails, go with the strawman.
I didn't fail.

I know what he is, as does 99% of the people out there, we have had 7 point what ever years to clearly see it. The problem is when it's a player on your own team and you really want them to succeed, you can overlook the glaringly obvious.

I understand that you can't convince someone in that case.

Hope I am proven wrong, but I'm certain I won't be!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Do you think Jarad Waite has his best footy ahead of him?"

"I think he has his belly ahead of him"... (Nick Del, on SEN).

Done a few things today I thought.

Playing forward, in defence, as a ruckman and a centre square midfielder.

One of the best games he's played.

Yep his marking was outstanding. safest hands on the ground tonight. stood out when everyone else was basically fumbling every second touch

He did exactly what he's there for - provide onfield leadership for a young team, and did it brilliantly.

Amazing athleticism for a bloke his age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back