Scotty Lycett

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruit of the year!

You simply have to love him. By far the best off season recruit. I am hoping Ryder has enough in him so that these two carry us to a grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took as many contested marks as the West Coast Eagles.

Didn't Karl Langdon say Lycett wouldn't be missed and Hickey was an improvement on him?

Sometimes stats are meaningless.

On Friday night Hickey. Ryder and Vardy got higher AFL Player ratings, and Hickey and Ryder got higher Super coach and AFL fantasy ratings than Scott. yet Scott was the most important ruckman on the ground. If he doesn't go back and push against Hurn and Cole jumps into him to help out Hurnand the ball doesn't spill out for a now unmanned Rozee to kick goal of the week.

If Allan Iverson is The Answer, then Scott Lycett will be The Difference for us doing well this year. He has the chance to transform us, ie allows us to play Dixon, Westhoff, Marshall, Ryder and Lycett in the forward line this year and maybe Watts next year. He has been Primusesque in the ruck fending off blokes and grabbing the ball in throw ups and throw ins and then dishing it off to team mates.

From the double page spread in The 'Tiser article on Friday.

The Big One that got away - not even West Coast could beat the free agency trap with Scott Lycett
Rod Boots found gems for West Coast in his long tenure as the Eagles’ SA-based recruiting scout … a premiership captain, Shannon Hurn; a selfless defender, Beau Waters and a premiership ruckman, Scott Lycett.
And — in an extraordinarily successful run — Boots had to work harder than others in the WA recruiting web to get a South Australian drafted.

If it was a lineball call between a Perth or Adelaide teenager, the Eagles would stick with the West Australian.

And Victorians — perhaps as a carry over from needing a Victorian, Michael Malthouse, to deliver those first AFL flags to the Eagles in 1992 and 1994 — always win the nod ahead of South Australians in West Coast’s draft strategy. So in the lead-up to the 2010 national draft, Boots had to make one of his strongest sales pitches for the teenage ruckman from the Eyre Peninsula playing in the SANFL for the Port Adelaide Magpies. And the case for a ruckman — any ruckman — had to work in with West Coast having the game’s best ruckman, Dean Cox, and best young prospect, 2008 No. 2 pick Nic Naitanui, on the list.

“Scott was one of the best big men you could scout at the time,” Boots recalls. “He could take the ball overhead; he was good at ground level. He moved well across the ground. He was a rare commodity. “He came from good family stock … he ticked all the boxes.” As sure as Boots was of Lycett, the AFL draft is loaded with uncertainty as 18 teams work the recruiting lottery with contrasting agendas. West Coast went — true to script — with a Victorian (Andrew Gaff) with its first pick at No. 4. The Eagles’ next pick was not until No. 26 — and Adelaide and Port Adelaide were in the way at 14 and 16. The Crows at 14 claimed Brodie Smith, whom Boots interviewed — along with fellow Henley High option Jared Polec — on the same night he ticked the boxes with Lycett. The Power at 16 took Ben Jacobs.

“I could not believe it … Port Adelaide bypassed Scott Lycett,” Boots said. Nine years later, Lycett is back at Port Adelaide — finally as a Power player after taking up free agency at the end of last season when he had delivered to Boots’ vision for the Eagles as a premiership ruckman. “And he still has big upside — Scott is still developing as a ruckman,” Boots said.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...t/news-story/d07fc2158525ad1004a7f280a72e92e4

Flag Hero back home at Port

Scott Lycett is not sure he would be at Port Adelaide today had there not been the free-agency path from West Coast to Alberton. But he is certain he has a place in the Eagles story forever — as a premiership player. “I’m not sure … not sure at all,” says Lycett when asked how desting would have played out at the end of last season without the free agency. After eight years at West Coast, the out-of-contract Lycett was able to dictate terms on his future — and opted for the homecoming play to Port Adelaide. “Free agency made my decision easier … A trade might have been more difficult.

“But halfway through the year,” adds Lycett, who also was courted by St Kilda and Adelaide, “I was not thinking, ‘I am going home’. Port Adelaide showed it was interested. So did a couple of other clubs. I had to make a decision.” Lycett insists that decision was made post-season. He played last year’s grand final with a total focus to win his first — and West Coast’s fourth — premiership rather than wondering where he would live in Adelaide. And even when he had his premiership medal dangling against the cans of West End beer in the champagne-soaked Eagles changerooms at the MCG after the grand final victory against Collingwood, he was not sure of his next move in football.

“I was more worried about who was going to hand me my next beer,” Lycett said. Lycett’s exit from West Coast — just as the Eagles would argue their eight-year investment in a ruckman is about to deliver its biggest dividends at the Power — is seen to have been made easier by the flag. “In a way, it is an easy out with that (premiership success),” Lycett said.

1556000327375.png 1556000351537.png
Port Magpies and state under-18 ruckman Scott Lycett aged 17. Lycett at the AFL Draft state screening at Immanuel College in 2010.

1556000431159.png 1556000847957.png

Scott Lycett holds the premiership trophy. Scott Lycett and Sam Gray in their junior days with Port Adelaide.

Sometimes stats are meaningless.

On Friday night Hickey. Ryder and Vardy got higher AFL Player ratings, and Hickey and Ryder got higher Super coach and AFL fantasy ratings than Scott. yet Scott was the most important ruckman on the ground. If he doesn't go back and push against Hurn and Cole jumps into him to help out Hurnand the ball doesn't spill out for a now unmanned Rozee to kick goal of the week.

If Allan Iverson is The Answer, then Scott Lycett will be The Difference for us doing well this year. He has the chance to transform us, ie allows us to play Dixon, Westhoff, Marshall, Ryder and Lycett in the forward line this year and maybe Watts next year. He has been Primusesque in the ruck fending off blokes and grabbing the ball in throw ups and throw ins and then dishing it off to team mates.

From the double page spread in The 'Tiser article on Friday.

The Big One that got away - not even West Coast could beat the free agency trap with Scott Lycett
Rod Boots found gems for West Coast in his long tenure as the Eagles’ SA-based recruiting scout … a premiership captain, Shannon Hurn; a selfless defender, Beau Waters and a premiership ruckman, Scott Lycett.
And — in an extraordinarily successful run — Boots had to work harder than others in the WA recruiting web to get a South Australian drafted.

If it was a lineball call between a Perth or Adelaide teenager, the Eagles would stick with the West Australian.

And Victorians — perhaps as a carry over from needing a Victorian, Michael Malthouse, to deliver those first AFL flags to the Eagles in 1992 and 1994 — always win the nod ahead of South Australians in West Coast’s draft strategy. So in the lead-up to the 2010 national draft, Boots had to make one of his strongest sales pitches for the teenage ruckman from the Eyre Peninsula playing in the SANFL for the Port Adelaide Magpies. And the case for a ruckman — any ruckman — had to work in with West Coast having the game’s best ruckman, Dean Cox, and best young prospect, 2008 No. 2 pick Nic Naitanui, on the list.

“Scott was one of the best big men you could scout at the time,” Boots recalls. “He could take the ball overhead; he was good at ground level. He moved well across the ground. He was a rare commodity. “He came from good family stock … he ticked all the boxes.” As sure as Boots was of Lycett, the AFL draft is loaded with uncertainty as 18 teams work the recruiting lottery with contrasting agendas. West Coast went — true to script — with a Victorian (Andrew Gaff) with its first pick at No. 4. The Eagles’ next pick was not until No. 26 — and Adelaide and Port Adelaide were in the way at 14 and 16. The Crows at 14 claimed Brodie Smith, whom Boots interviewed — along with fellow Henley High option Jared Polec — on the same night he ticked the boxes with Lycett. The Power at 16 took Ben Jacobs.

“I could not believe it … Port Adelaide bypassed Scott Lycett,” Boots said. Nine years later, Lycett is back at Port Adelaide — finally as a Power player after taking up free agency at the end of last season when he had delivered to Boots’ vision for the Eagles as a premiership ruckman. “And he still has big upside — Scott is still developing as a ruckman,” Boots said.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...t/news-story/d07fc2158525ad1004a7f280a72e92e4

Scott Lycett is not sure he would be at Port Adelaide today had there not been the free-agency path from West Coast to Alberton. But he is certain he has a place in the Eagles story forever — as a premiership player. “I’m not sure … not sure at all,” says Lycett when asked how desting would have played out at the end of last season without the free agency. After eight years at West Coast, the out-of-contract Lycett was able to dictate terms on his future — and opted for the homecoming play to Port Adelaide. “Free agency made my decision easier … A trade might have been more difficult.

“But halfway through the year,” adds Lycett, who also was courted by St Kilda and Adelaide, “I was not thinking, ‘I am going home’. Port Adelaide showed it was interested. So did a couple of other clubs. I had to make a decision.” Lycett insists that decision was made post-season. He played last year’s grand final with a total focus to win his first — and West Coast’s fourth — premiership rather than wondering where he would live in Adelaide. And even when he had his premiership medal dangling against the cans of West End beer in the champagne-soaked Eagles changerooms at the MCG after the grand final victory against Collingwood, he was not sure of his next move in football.

“I was more worried about who was going to hand me my next beer,” Lycett said. Lycett’s exit from West Coast — just as the Eagles would argue their eight-year investment in a ruckman is about to deliver its biggest dividends at the Power — is seen to have been made easier by the flag. “In a way, it is an easy out with that (premiership success),” Lycett said.

View attachment 660459 View attachment 660460
Port Magpies and state under-18 ruckman Scott Lycett aged 17. Lycett at the AFL Draft state screening at Immanuel College in 2010.

View attachment 660461 View attachment 660467

Scott Lycett holds the premiership trophy. Scott Lycett and Sam Gray in their junior days with Port Adelaide.
I was rapt that we got him at the time ... but he has blown my expectations out of the water! What a pickup, and as Sumich mentioned, he is still developing!

I was rapt that we got him at the time ... but he has blown my expectations out of the water! What a pickup, and as Sumich mentioned, he is still developing!
Hasn't surprised me. I knew getting a 26 year old premiership ruckman that is coming into his prime would be an massive win for the club.

I didn't expect him to dominate games like a Grundy or Gawn, but he is providing a presence and big body protecting his team mates that I expected because he has a good footy brain and it frees up Ryder and it means Marshall gets some protection especially when the Hoff is also forward.

Watch out when we have Dixon, Marshall, Ryder, Lycett and Hoff all playing well in the same games. We will dominate teams.

we picked instead of Lycett in the draft

“ As sure as Boots was of Lycett, the AFL draft is loaded with uncertainty as 18 teams work the recruiting lottery with contrasting agendas. West Coast went — true to script — with a Victorian (Andrew Gaff) with its first pick at No. 4. The Eagles’ next pick was not until No. 26 — and Adelaide and Port Adelaide were in the way at 14 and 16. The Crows at 14 claimed Brodie Smith, whom Boots interviewed — along with fellow Henley High option Jared Polec — on the same night he ticked the boxes with Lycett. The Power at 16 took Ben Jacobs. “

we picked instead of Lycett in the draft

“ As sure as Boots was of Lycett, the AFL draft is loaded with uncertainty as 18 teams work the recruiting lottery with contrasting agendas. West Coast went — true to script — with a Victorian (Andrew Gaff) with its first pick at No. 4. The Eagles’ next pick was not until No. 26 — and Adelaide and Port Adelaide were in the way at 14 and 16. The Crows at 14 claimed Brodie Smith, whom Boots interviewed — along with fellow Henley High option Jared Polec — on the same night he ticked the boxes with Lycett. The Power at 16 took Ben Jacobs. “

Better for Lycett to develop as a tall in another AFL system anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back