Scotty Lycett

Remove this Banner Ad

It were different times back then, with the split and our post-2007 AFL free fall. We were wrong passing on Lycett, but that happened in an "Age of Mistakes." It was merely one more for the record.

Still, Lycett to Port is a different kind of "homecoming". He is back to his CLUB. It would be more similar to Abblet's return to Geelong than a normal case of "homesickness." At least, that is my impression. You all are closer to the facts than I am. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Either way, it was a great pick up. With Ladhams and Hayes coming up, we seem ok in the ruck. However, there seems to be no such a thing as too many ruckmen. We should keep working on developing them — even eventual rucks like Dixon, Howard, and Frampton.

Yeah he does ruck and all that but we have had rucks and even part time rucks that have done that. He also grabs the odd catch up front but again we have had rucks and part time rucks that have done that even in recent times.

However he brings something we haven't had for a very long time, presence.
Just being there at kick ins, kick outs etc the other team has to compete and compete hard to make sure he doesn't get the ball going our way.

I wasn't sure if he was going to be a good trade or not but now IMO, at least so far, he has been the best trade of the last few years.

I was rapt that we got him at the time ... but he has blown my expectations out of the water! What a pickup, and as Sumich mentioned, he is still developing!
I hope he develops he handballs .. geez ... he missed a few of our players by not giving clean handballs, against the Eagles.
Robbie was another one as well.

I was disappointed we didn't draft him in 2010, not devastated, but disappointed.

In 2010 we had an ageing Brogan, IMO a very promising Redden, Lobbe, Daniel Stewart, Daniel Bass on the Category B list as another basketball convert, Westhoff, his brother Matthew and a rookie Daniel Webb. These guys were rucks or rucks/forwards in the SANFL apart from the Hoff.

The only change we made at the end of 2010 was to recruit as a rookie Mitch Curnow who was a skinny 201cm 18 year old ruck. So we did add a developing ruck. 2011 was Brogan's last year. 2010 was Geoff Parker's first year as our head recruiter.

Lycett going to WCE was better for his development. They aren't afraid to use the weights room and he was 1 of only 3 rucks on their list for 2011 and 2012, Dean Cox the best ruckman of the '00's and Nick Natanui the most promising young ruckman in the game at the time. He had Phil Walsh as a midfield coach for his first 3 years who had worked with Primus, Lade and Brogan when they were at their peak at Port, and then Dean Cox became ruck coach when Walsh returned to Port.

Last edited:
I was disappointed we didn't draft him in 2010, not devastated, but disappointed.

In 2010 we had an ageing Brogan, IMO a very promising Redden, Lobbe, Daniel Stewart, Daniel Bass on the Category B list as another basketball convert, Westhoff, his brother Matthew and a rookie Daniel Webb. These guys were rucks or rucks/forwards in the SANFL apart from the Hoff.

The only change we made at the end of 2010 was to recruit as a rookie Mitch Curnow who was a skinny 201cm 18 year old ruck. So we did add a developing ruck. 2011 was Brogan's last year. 2010 was Geoff Parker's first year as our head recruiter.

Lycett going to WCE was better for his development. They aren't afraid to use the weight room and he was 1 of only 3 rucks on their list for 2011 and 2012, Dean Cox the best ruckman of the '00's and Nick Natanui the most promising young ruckman in the game at the time. He had Phil Walsh as a midfield coach for his first 3 years who had worked with Primus, Lade and Brogan when they were at their peak at Port, and then Dean Cox became ruck coach when Walsh returned to Port.
And we now have one Premiership player in our team.

And we now have one Premiership player in our team.
And that shouldn't be discounted, someone who has experienced success on the biggest stage and tight games.

Watched a few interviews with Scotty since his arrival at Port

Before we recruited him thought he came across as a massive flog

But he’s a genuinely good bloke and a much better player than I initially thought

Remember when Ebert and Wines rucked at AFL level and Andrew Moore got 21 hitouts in the SANFL a few years before?
Remember 1 and 2 but not 3.

Remember 1 and 2 but not 3.
Andrew Moore on 21 hitouts

giphy.gif

Scott was a goal or two short of having the most complete performance you could see from a ruckman.

He dominated the hitouts, he followed up on ground level, he won in the air and took hugely important contested marks, he won clearances, he ran with the ball, he delivered with poise inside 50, he slammed his opponents with huge tackles and completely set the tone for what was a very strong performance.

41 hitouts, 9 clearances, 24 disposals (18 contested), 8 inside 50s(!), 2 rebound 50s, 3 tackles and 5 marks (2 contested).

Outstanding!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best game of Scotts career i reckon. Really set the tone early. Fierce tackling and cleared the path for our mids. He needs to bring that energy every week.

One of the most brutal performances I've seen from a ruckman, such was his physical dominance, for most of his hitouts he seemed torn between palming off or grabbing the ball clean out of the air.

Stark contrast from a couple years back when Geelong's 3 pronged athletic ruck brigade jumped over the top of us. Great response from Scott after a poor week prior too.

Thank * the AFL has removed the bloody Primus prior opportunity rule interpretation. (Still have the Primus ruck rule change about blocking the oppo ruckman with your body or arm in the rulebook).

It has allowed Scott to use his bulk and footy brain to take the ball with both hands and not have to worry about getting some dinky tap and hoping the small players cleanly grab it.

Ruckmen have pissed their pants for 15 years, about grabbing the ball before this year, because an oppo player just had to grab a bit of the jumper, have no impact on stopping the ruckman disposing of the ball, and dopey umpires would pay holding the ball.

I reckon we have kicked about 5 goals this year from him grabbing it from a throw up or throw in close to goal and he handballs to a small player. Classic example was Robbie kicking our first goal last night at the southern members side flank. Ball up, Scott grabs the ball, little handball to Robbie who runs thru the gap and squeezes out a 25m kick that just bounces thru for a goal.

Primus got 9 and 10 clearances 3 times each between 2000 and 2002 before the rule interpretation was changed. Then stupid idiot CEO Wayne Jackson didn't like what Primus was doing, and instructed umpires department to change it.

Scott got 9 clearances last night and 10 against Carlton when he played his other BOG game earlier this year. He got 7 last year a couple of times, against Port and Freo.

Last edited:
Best game of Scotts career i reckon. Really set the tone early. Fierce tackling and cleared the path for our mids. He needs to bring that energy every week.
The Champion Data AFL Player Ratings algorithm gave him 35.0 pts against Carlton in Rd 2 which is an elite number. That was his career best ever score.

When Buddy kicked 8 goals in the opening Rd at the new Perth Stadium last year where he had 21 disposals, he got 39.9 pts. He got 50.5 when he kicked 13 goals in Tassie in 2012. Here is a list of top 6 scores.

Last night they gave him 22.x only behind Robbie's 26.0 pts.

Personally I reckon he had a better game last night than against Carlton. Also the opposition was better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back