Scotty McLaughlin 2020 going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

The superbike thing is just to do with talent. That's it. Moto2 have different tyres and riding style as well but it's currently the preferred path the most talented riders are taking. If they came through superbikes instead then they'd adapt just the same.

Put any of Mir, Rins, Vinales, the Esparagaros, Marquez Jr in WSBK and they're highly likely to be at least front runners if not champion.
Not just talent. Plenty of talent out there. Not everyone can afford to move to Spain or Italy at a young age though.
I wouldn't see any of those riders winning a SBK championship. Maybe Maybe Marq jnr after a couple of years. He looks good in the rain IMO.
Only riders I could see successful in SBK quickly would be Miller and Zarco. Obviously Marquez.

Not just talent. Plenty of talent out there. Not everyone can afford to move to Spain or Italy at a young age though.
I wouldn't see any of those riders winning a SBK championship. Maybe Maybe Marq jnr after a couple of years. He looks good in the rain IMO.
Only riders I could see successful in SBK quickly would be Miller and Zarco. Obviously Marquez.
Really ??

History tells us otherwise.

Biaggi and Bayliss.
Bayliss was a gun. Rode the s**t out of those Dukes and slid them everywhere lol.
Do you remember him doing a one off GP race on a brand new bike and he came first.
He won!
Biaggi was more than a solid B grade. That dude had talent. Got a pole on his very first 500cc outing, and pushed some truly great riders and some great bikes.
There was a bloke called Mick Doohan who came from SBK who did allright on the GP bikes.

Wasn't Nicky Hayden a GP champ? How'd he go in the superbikes?
Won in America before he went to Moto GP then he rode in WSBK after he retired from the highest level.

We've given you more than enough examples, why you'd choose to argue more is strange.

Hey I'm not saying superbikes are better. Maybe for a small period at the end of the 500's they might of been close.
I know MotoGP is much better, with much better bikes and for me far more entertaining.
But you can't tell me certain styles aren't more suited towards one rather than the other.
Even just the physical size of the rider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed, but in the end talent generally wins out. Even in the absolute peak of SBK in the 90s with Fogarty, Slight, Corser etc..... None of them were good enough to make much of a dent in 500cc races.

Won in America before he went to Moto GP then he rode in WSBK after he retired from the highest level.

We've given you more than enough examples, why you'd choose to argue more is strange.
Hayden struggled in the sbk's tbh.
I've given you Mick Doohan. 5 championships. That's enough on it's own.
Bayliss winning a one off race on a brand spanking new bike. By a long way too.
Saw pre Kawasaki Rea get on Casey's bike and really damn well after never riding it before.
You've just called Biaggi and Bayliss B graders. And they weren't.

Indeed, but in the end talent generally wins out. Even in the absolute peak of SBK in the 90s with Fogarty, Slight, Corser etc..... None of them were good enough to make much of a dent in 500cc races.
Goes both ways though. And getting a non factory ride in GP bikes (except the last couple of years) gave many no chance.
While most who went the other way got full factory support.
Dunno if anyone's bought up Edwards? But that's one I really have to agree with. He was preety dissappointing. And had a good factory bike.

Hayden struggled in the sbk's tbh.
I've given you Mick Doohan. 5 championships. That's enough on it's own.
Bayliss winning a one off race on a brand spanking new bike. By a long way too.
Saw pre Kawasaki Rea get on Casey's bike and really damn well after never riding it before.
You've just called Biaggi and Bayliss B graders. And they weren't.
Bayliss was a Moto GP B grader, Biaggi yeah he was better than that.... But he still wasn't good enough to win a top flight title.

It's just not close to the same level.

Bayliss was a Moto GP B grader, Biaggi yeah he was better than that.... But he still wasn't good enough to win a top flight title.

It's just not close to the same level.
Yeah I agree. But certain styles suit it more.
Pedrosa was one of the most beautiful riders to watch ever for me. Loved him.
But no way could I see him killing it on a SBK.
Could not handle low grip well at all.
Still can't agree on Bayliss. Won a race.
Rode a brand new bike in its first year and got 3 podiums.
That is good. Who the f**k else has ever done that?
Gotta look at the bikes riders are on.
And of course I am biased cause I like him.

I think some wires have been crossed a bit here somewhere. I'm arguing that superbikers can become competitive MotoGP riders. You seem to be suggesting similar? I'm saying it's all just about talent and ability to adapt. The different tyres and riding styles are really irrelevant as riders coming from any other avenue also have to adapt from different tyres and riding styles. But if they're talented enough, they'll adapt. Same going back the other way.

Speaking of going back the other way, it would be no push over - Johnny Rea is a class act. He should've been in MotoGP for years. But his best competition the last two years have been Alvaro Bautista (who won the first eleven races last year before doing Bautista things and crashing his brains out to finish the year) and Scott Redding. Playing the most conservative card possible would say the Spanish riders I listed are at least the equal of those guys. Reality is most, if not all, are significantly better. There's little logic to suggest they'd struggle in wsbk.

Fascinating. The head kicking is amazing.

I'd have taken the safe option of picking Neil Hodgson and Carlos Checa as the B-grader. But the BF motor board is picking out the big names!

Can't wait til Klyntonius expresses his disgust.

Neil Hodgson is a w***er. Isn't he, Jack.

Yeah I agree. But certain styles suit it more.
Pedrosa was one of the most beautiful riders to watch ever for me. Loved him.
But no way could I see him killing it on a SBK.
Could not handle low grip well at all.
Still can't agree on Bayliss. Won a race.
Rode a brand new bike in its first year and got 3 podiums.
That is good. Who the f**k else has ever done that?
Gotta look at the bikes riders are on.
And of course I am biased cause I like him.

Pedrosa would slaughter wsbk. That guy was a superstar. The Pirellis are much more forgiving and their softer construction heats up much easier than the rock hard Michelin's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back