Review Scratch match analysis of North V Saints

groo

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2009
geelong
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A lof of our omissions were due to injury. No point comparing to what other teams do.
If true then this is the level of the team we can expect during the season. We are always going to have injuries. I think it is important to compare to successful teams. You can simply run your own show when you are on top.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually thought Hall played OK......provides some run and carry, fast entries into 50.
Also made some horrible decisions like no looking a handball that went straight over the boundary and slowing down the passage of play when on the run. Not sure why a 30yr old player does these things but its what we've got.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
If true then this is the level of the team we can expect during the season. We are always going to have injuries. I think it is important to compare to successful teams. You can simply run your own show when you are on top.

Probably why we ran 17th last year. We’re not much chop.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I've been hurt before.

Pagan had a strong core of kids re-building through the draft in 2000 but a year later is chasing Ben Robbins, Paul Dimmatia and David Bourke.

Laidley launched with a full array of draft picks then within 2-3 years is stocking up with Piccioane, Hay, Green etc.

The list managers boot out 3 strong clubmen in 2016 only to chase magic beans for the next 2 years.

No shortcuts this time please. Not even Josh thanks. Take our first rounds at the draft, build the core.

NMFC are that lover that keeps cheating on you but you taken them back each time. “It’ll be different this time, I swear.....”

I hope we’re going to finally do it. * me, we’ve just wasted 4 seasons. When you play off for a spoon, spike to 10 or so wins and then nose dive to 17th, what you’ve done hasn’t worked.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Noble might have hoped we performed better...... but alternatively a good thrashing lowers the bar expectations wise, takes us off the radar ( if we were ever on) and pencils in a Top 2 pick which we really need
Why couldn’t Turner play on their small forward?

That's a good point.

Imagine we beat crows of GC by 30 points

There wouldn't be any "it's only preseason" cautioning.

Our youth would suddenly be more amazing and the gameplan clearly excellent.

Better to temper any preseason fapping now and refocus the crew.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It wouldn't be far off.
Indeed, not far off; some of it was crankiness at the score line, but there were a number of mistakes with the new manning the mark rule, and as the team chasing more of the the ball, we were always going to give more of them away than the saints while people get used to the rule (which I think has a fair chance of inciting the odd riot over the course of the year)

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
As a full time forward, do you think these are good numbers?

He's played 4 games mate. FOUR. It's way too soon to make a definitive call either way. All we have so far are those four games to judge him on, and in each of them he has hit the scoreboard.

Do you expect Logan McDonald to come in and start kicking bags this year? Because he won't.

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree, I can't see how anybody could knock Hayden on yesterday's performance; first up as a centre mid, for a fair part of the game with Larkey as ruck (!) often against Crouch and still won his share of it; had some real instinctive passages with Simpkin that looked like they'd been playing for years together. People have criticised his kicking, which I must admit I didn't notice at the ground, but his clearance work was a clear positive for the day. Hopefully we won't be cursed with injuries and he can hone his craft in the VFL, but definitely worth persisting with in the role
i dont get to many vfl games.
i didnt realise he had that in him.
big positive for the day.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I actually thought Hall played OK......provides some run and carry, fast entries into 50.

I think half of the criticism is frustration. He has all the weapons but for large parts of his career appears inept.

He's a great size, fast, skillful, dynamic and has a tank. Comes across as smart and a really good guy too.

I keep relating him to Higgins and even if he fell short (no shame in that), I just can't work out why his consistent level hasn't been closer to Shaun's rather than where it's ended up.

I think half of the criticism is frustration. He has all the weapons but for large parts of his career appears inept.

He's a great size, fast, skillful, dynamic and has a tank. Comes across as smart and a really good guy too.

I keep relating him to Higgins and even if he fell short (no shame in that), I just can't work out why his consistent level hasn't been closer to Shaun's rather than where it's ended up.
The frustration yesterday was that he worked his ass off to get into position, then he hesitated on 2-3 separate occasions, killing the momentum. Some of his contested work and defensive running isn’t the best, but it is his decision making as the cream on top type of player that frustrates me. Has a lot of good attributes and I like him, but he has limitations that aren’t fixable at his age.

Zurhaar and Larkey both missed sitters too. In fact, it's one of the few positives about the scoreline. We gave away 5-6 goals through stupid free kicks/50m penalties as well as missed a bunch of sitters. The Saints are probably a 20-30 point better side than us with both best 22s on the park as it is, so those things as well as our playing our VFL midfield made the scoreline look a lot worse than it would be in a home and away game imo.
Yep. Goalkicking accuracy basically always regresses to the mean. Teams that are consistently better or worse than average over a whole season ore more are really rare. Feel free to complain about missed shots and yes, they'll lose you games sometimes, and being unusually accurate will win you games. There's more to be taken from the fact that we generated 19 scoring shots, most of them after quarter time and enough of them good quality, than that we only kicked 6 goals. 30 scoring shots to 19 should normally be a 6-7 goal margin, not almost 100 points, and given the difference in best-22s between the two sides that's not particuarly upsetting.

On the other hand, 30 scoring shots is a lot to concede, and the fact the Aints were so accurate was no accident. We gave up ridiculously high-quality scoring chances thanks to how badly we were smashed in space. Our guys found it really hard to recover structure once we got disorganised. That needs to be fixed.

Yep. Goalkicking accuracy basically always regresses to the mean. Teams that are consistently better or worse than average over a whole season ore more are really rare. Feel free to complain about missed shots and yes, they'll lose you games sometimes, and being unusually accurate will win you games. There's more to be taken from the fact that we generated 19 scoring shots, most of them after quarter time and enough of them good quality, than that we only kicked 6 goals. 30 scoring shots to 19 should normally be a 6-7 goal margin, not almost 100 points, and given the difference in best-22s between the two sides that's not particuarly upsetting.

On the other hand, 30 scoring shots is a lot to concede, and the fact the Aints were so accurate was no accident. We gave up ridiculously high-quality scoring chances thanks to how badly we were smashed in space. Our guys found it really hard to recover structure once we got disorganised. That needs to be fixed.

Yep, I would like to know how many goals they basically walked in

Mar 17, 2012
Caught in the web.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nor Gresham.

And of course the mayor of Portland himself, Rowan Marshall.

Not sure if you realise, but the title of Mayor of Portland is hardly a compliment. The place is a shithole, full of ice addicted dole bludgers. It's a gateway town for drugs coming from South Australia.

Not sure if you realise, but the title of Mayor of Portland is hardly a compliment. The place is a shithole, full of ice addicted dole bludgers. It's a gateway town for drugs coming from South Australia.
We import 5hit from Adelaide?

May 20, 2009
coburg
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anyone know if there are any stats anywhere for that game?
stuff.PNG

this is all i have come across.

Back