Review Scratch match analysis of North V Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Unless we have a miraculous injury run, bottom 4 is a given.

We're building from a base of 3 30+ stars, maybe 6 solid AFL players plus 26 kids. It'll take longer than a month.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

And this matters to me, not.

Seriously, NMFC needed to bottom out on the field 20 years ago.

Financially and for survival reasons, there are reasons why the club would have been reluctant to do so.

We are s**t! Hallelujah!

Not sure if you realise, but the title of Mayor of Portland is hardly a compliment. The place is a shithole, full of ice addicted dole bludgers. It's a gateway town for drugs coming from South Australia.
It was just all a bit of silliness really. The only thing I've ever been told about Portland is what you just said then. Sounds like a lovely place!

StKilda are a finals quality team. No doubt.

If all goes well they could even go deep.

No doubt, they were missing a few and still very slick for February.

I pretty much expect them to be in the mix, I guess top 6 with the Tiges, Cats, Lions and Eagles the only sides considered better. It’s pretty soft, we don’t have to make that much of a quantum leap to get ourselves in the mix.

2 gun half back flankers, Horne, a Full Forward + a Goldy replacement and we are almost there.

And this matters to me, not.

Seriously, NMFC needed to bottom out on the field 20 years ago.

Financially and for survival reasons, there are reasons why the club would have been reluctant to do so.

We are sh*t! Hallelujah!

That’s a crap attitude that I hope our list manager doesn’t adopt. St Kilda built their list without finishing bottom 2. We should aim to win a minimum of 8 games this season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s a crap attitude that I hope our list manager doesn’t adopt. St Kilda built their list without finishing bottom 2. We should aim to win a minimum of 8 games this season.

It also took 8 years for StKilda to arrive (post 2012-2020).

We are entering year 5 (post 2016-now).

I agree with your games win tally though, because I think our rebuild is stronger than their one. If we have a good run with injury then 8 wins should be achievable..

If we have a good run with injury then 8 wins should be achievable..
thats a big If, atm we dont bat very deep, even before the purge last year we had very little depth to cover injuries. we have also been carrying a few quite injurie prone players which put us even further behind re depth. i reckon there could be 4 to 6 games decided on our run regarding healthy personnel. it also depends on how the opposition go with regards to attrition.

at least we have turned the corner with regards to tracking a list where a lot of the players best is infront of them rather than behind them, however now we need to run the course. i reckon we need to have another wholesale list turnover at the end of this season as well. another season of games into blokes like LDU , Scott and Jy while they still have the support of Dumont, Jed and most importantly Cunners will do them well before they become the next generation of leaders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

que? Didn't St Kilda take the wooden spoon in 2014? having finished bottom 3 in 2013? The problem was their pick 1 in 2014 was a bust with McMartin

que? Didn't St Kilda take the wooden spoon in 2014? having finished bottom 3 in 2013? The problem was their pick 1 in 2014 was a bust with McMartin

I’m referring to the time they sacked Richo and were seemingly going nowhere with a crap list only 2 years ago

I’m referring to the time they sacked Richo and were seemingly going nowhere with a crap list only 2 years ago

They're just a couple of years ahead of us, and I reckon our youth as a collective are better.

King is, of course, a standout.

Hill - Polec
Howard - Corr
Butler - Stephenson

I'm happy with our lot.

Saints pulled the trigger and handed out big deals to get Hill, Howard and Hanners. They are having cap issues already as they asked their players to take a pay cut of greater than 3.5% I believe? For example, WCE asked their players to take 7%?
At some point we will need to do the same, start using our cap space and picks to target players we need, but we are probably a two years away? But this is the best group of young players we have had in a while.

Watched the second half of the game again (cheers GR), I reckon we matched the saints but just didn't kick straight while they did. With players to comeback and hopefully some luck, we will be fun to watch this year.

Fair enough, but I'd be of the view their list rebuild started before Ratten; Jack Steele, Coffield, Hunter Clark, Josh battle and even Max King were taken in the Richardson era. Where the Ratten regime has been good is in the moneyball top-ups, Butler, Higgins etc, but the foundation was laid before him, and hopefully North replicates the list build

Fair enough, but I'd be of the view their list rebuild started before Ratten; Jack Steele, Coffield, Hunter Clark, Josh battle and even Max King were taken in the Richardson era. Where the Ratten regime has been good is in the moneyball top-ups, Butler, Higgins etc, but the foundation was laid before him, and hopefully North replicates the list build

It goes back to 2012, and began to emerge in 2016-2017. but was derailed and had to be reset.

They are a genuine finals contender now, but I still don't rate them a strong flag chance. The midfield is still a little bit too blue collar.

The rest of their list looks to be in good shape & Richmond have proven that you don't need stars on every line to win a flag these days.

Watched the first half again on GR’s replay and not a big sample size but I like how much we were targeting F50 entries right in front maybe 30-40m out. Felt like we did it a bit which is chalk and cheese to last year and more closely aligned to what Brisbane have done, although they get a lot of goals from with 20m so they’re a well oiled machine.
0731B5FA-304A-4F36-A388-F138FDA60A14.jpeg

It goes back to 2012, and began to emerge in 2016-2017. but was derailed and had to be reset.

They are a genuine finals contender now, but I still don't rate them a strong flag chance. The midfield is still a little bit too blue collar.

The rest of their list looks to be in good shape & Richmond have proven that you don't need stars on every line to win a flag these days.

Agree with everything except Richmond have stars on every line, mate.

Every line.

Grimes, Houli, Edwards, Martin, Prestia, Lynch and Riewoldt = stars on every line. They also have pace and discipline on every line.

The onus is on us to build a list that can match that, we are on the way, but missing 7-8 important pieces.

Agree with everything except Richmond have stars on every line, mate.

Every line.

Grimes, Houli, Edwards, Martin, Prestia, Lynch and Riewoldt = stars on every line. They also have pace and discipline on every line.

The onus is on us to build a list that can match that, we are on the way, but missing 7-8 important pieces.

Yeah, I've been around long enough to see teams where Grimes, Edwards & Prestia wouldn't get a game.

There's no way the 12-22 players in the Richmond team would have gotten games in the best sides I have seen.

That's a good point.

Imagine we beat crows of GC by 30 points

There wouldn't be any "it's only preseason" cautioning.

Our youth would suddenly be more amazing and the gameplan clearly excellent.

Better to temper any preseason fapping now and refocus the crew.

I’m not going to lie - I’d still prefer a win every day of the week.

Yeah, I've been around long enough to see teams where Grimes, Edwards & Prestia wouldn't get a game.

There's no way the 12-22 players in the Richmond team would have gotten games in the best sides I have seen.

I get the 12-22 comment.

Look at our 1999 premierships team, outside of the guns, we had plenty of filler.

I can’t even imagine a team that Grimes or Edwards couldn’t get into (Hawthorn 88-89? I’d take Grimes over Langford personally. Prestia > Campo/Bond at Carlton 1995), both are sensational players. I would have Grimes and Dale Morris as two of the best 3rd talls I have ever seen (38) and Edwards is, IMO the player we all wanted Wells to be.

Prestia has won BnF in premiership season, which I also rate highly.

I don’t you think you can fluke 3 flags, 1 maybe, 2 probably not, 3 definitely not.

1999 Longmire, Welsh, Motlop, Mooney, Dhurkay wouldn’t have got a game for Richmond, they probably would not have played Simmo either, so let’s not throw too many stones.

Good solid football is passed off as "all time" greatness these days.

Glenn Freeborn kicks 3 goals in a GF to swing the ascendency of a match and no one barely remembers it.

Dustin Martin does it and it's one of the greatest grand final performances of all time!

Modern players are waaaaay overhyped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back