Review Scratch match analysis of North V Saints

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Duck played a huge role in '99 too. Wasn't happening up forward and played more in the middle and backline to steady things before we gave the Blues the dagger. (Not saying he's the reason we won, but he's an example of superstar versatility)

Not every team has to have stars on every line to win premierships. Sometimes the few that are superstars can be the difference because of how versatile they are. They are a drag and drop type of player.

As long as the effort is there, gun players have better games. That's why Richmond won three premierships.

Not necessarily on the level of Geelong or Hawthorn in terms of skill, but they don't falter in endeavour. Not faltering keeps the team's morale up and stars don't succumb to the drop in support. At times, it can be the stars that get the team going, but most of the time it has to be a collective effort. It is the way modern footy is now.

Very few players consistently dominate irrespective of team performance.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How did our PF go without Duck and McKernan injured a early against Saints?

Hammered. I expected to win that game even Schwass and Arch down.

Wait, what? Without Duck? You know he was playing that night, right? Spent the whole game wrestling with Wakelin because his ego couldn't cope with the insult of playing on a shrimp who slept with the lights on.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wait, what? Without Duck? You know he was playing that night, right? Spent the whole game wrestling with Wakelin because his ego couldn't cope with the insult of playing on a shrimp who slept with the lights on.

Really? I was sure he was out......if not then ok I'm wrong. He was injured then.

Bloody Wakelin twins. Hated them!

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

And yep he also kicked 7 out of our 11 against the Cats in the first final, without him there would be no pre lim of course. His numbers over his career are staggering. He also drew plenty of opponents which would have made it easier for everyone else . 97 he only kicked 25 or so goals and missed plenty of games. is it a coincidence that we just scraped into the finals? I highly doubt it. He wasn't near fit that year.
Sheesh the greatest footballer ive ever seen i'm not suggesting he's a great bloke, cause he just isn't.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
I hear Mason Wood played well. He'll be a lock for round 1.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
He was also a few years older no?

1990-1995, horse was immense.

There were countless games in 1995 just before his knee, that Horse stepped up in Ducks absence and we got the chocolates. Tony Shaws 300th from memory.
Just not the same player after the 2nd knee reco. Imagine winning the Coleman as a 19 year old.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did he ever play on the wing for you guys?

Said in an interview on Friday that he and Battle swapped between wing and half forward throughout the game.
Trailed there a few times due to his tank. Not much better than he was at half-forward. Struggled with contested situations and getting enough disposals.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Imagine if that StKilda King twin kicked 14 in a game. Except he's now a year older than Horse was when he kicked his big bag.
Would be phenomenal. Totally different game these days though, with flooded defences and far lower scoring games and all that.

And that was Horse's 3rd season. You could play at 17yo back then, whereas now it's your first season at 19yo, and depending on which state you're from, your first playing against men.

Plugger kicked 77 goals when he was 18yo, while Chris Grant kicked 50 at 17yo!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Would be phenomenal. Totally different game these days though, with flooded defences and far lower scoring games and all that.

And that was Horse's 3rd season. You could play at 17yo back then, whereas now it's your first season at 19yo, and depending on which state you're from, your first playing against men.

Plugger kicked 77 goals when he was 18yo, while Chris Grant kicked 50 at 17yo!

Longmire would have kicked 1000 goals if not for his knees.

He ended up with 511 and ~500 of them came from ~140 games as a full forward before he turned 24.

139 marks from a 19 year old full forward is off the charts & 90+ of them would have been contested. If you want a modern day comparison, 27 year old Tom Lynch headed the stat sheet in 2019 with 56.

WE still would have won flags with No Carey, and a fit Longmire.

If both had stayed fit then anything could have happened.

Carey, Longmire AND McKernan (pre 97)would have been a nightmare that could not have been overcome.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Isn't that a testament to how excellent their backline has been then?

They are very disciplined defenders and that's even without pretty boy Rance.

It's probably a testament to the overall system they play. Aggression at the man and the ball exists on all lines with the Tigers.

Even historically soft players like Cotchin and Lynch are working hard defensively and handing out the occasional sniper move like elbowing opposition players to the back of the head.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
It's probably a testament to the overall system they play. Aggression at the man and the ball exists on all lines with the Tigers.

It's all they do.

Kicking, marking & handballing are secondary issues.

The game has become a serious eyesore because of this.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did he ever play on the wing for you guys?

Said in an interview on Friday that he and Battle swapped between wing and half forward throughout the game.

I guess its cute that Saints supporters feel like they have a good one in Wood. Reminds me of when we picked up Hartung and the club was shouting from the rooftops about his elite endurance.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yeah, I'm no fan of the Tigers and the way they play but if we were to win 3 premierships in 4 years I'd take it however we play.

I get that, but it's still a poor spectacle.

There's only one solution mate, slow the game down.

The AFL seem hell bent on speeding it up.

Skinner and Appleby both let go by the club after the Saints match. Looks like that was their chance to impress but they didn’t really get much of a chance I suppose

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Skinner and Appleby both let go by the club after the Saints match. Looks like that was their chance to impress but they didn’t really get much of a chance I suppose

no doubt they're both good young blokes, but on their showing at the praccy, hard to disagree with this decision

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
its funny you say that.
my best 3 players ever all played in the 90s.
Carey Lockett and Ablett snr.
very subjective i realise.
But id struggle to find someone in the last 10 years i rate close to those 3.

Yeah mine too, Carey, McKernan, Schwass,

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits

The one where Archer and Schwass were suspended with the latter subsequently traded?

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits

yeah I have a feeling we would have regretted filling the list once junior footy gets started again. There will be some good opportunities one would think, kids who would have raced up the order had they have had a chance to play in 2020.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
yeah I have a feeling we would have regretted filling the list once junior footy gets started again. There will be some good opportunities one would think, kids who would have raced up the order had they have had a chance to play in 2020.
Surely comben gets LTI and we have a 2nd free spot anyway

Back