Game Day Scratch Match - GWS v Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

I found it interesting that they were fatigued but managed to fight their way through a period of being a point ahead and not defensively giving up that point. Invaluable training for that scenario. Anyway I understand your point.

Yeah that's a good lesson. I'll also concede that despite how cooked they might've been, there's no better preparation for full length H&A matches than actually playing full length matches in the pre-season. But the players training requirements and the games aesthetics aren't always symbiotic!

I thought he looked a bit at sea to be honest but to be fair it’s probably his first real competitive hit out at this level.

For me he looked slow and his lateral movement doesn’t excite me.

But plenty of time.
He played the same game a year ago. Was decent.

The consensus was he was ready for round 1.

He played the same game a year ago. Was decent.

The consensus was he was ready for round 1.

Last year seems so long ago thus I don’t recall haha
But I don’t personally recall myself thinking of him as a Round One starter outside of the consensus before the game that he should be ready (not me saying that) because he played SANFL seniors.

He certainly has the physical size, and he throws his body about, but I am not sure he has a real grasp on how to properly use the tools at his disposal yet, at AFL level at least.

Surprise surprise Reid was poor again

For what we expect him to do yes. Dropped some easy marks

However, I thought he worked his way into the match by way of his defensive work in tackling and moving up the ground to apply that pressure.

No excuses for him the opportunities should have been taken but he did seem to at least work hard otherwise

Mills awareness was sublime quite a few times when flat footed and the footy heading his way he gave a directional tap to advantage and broke the game open. Had he taken the footy it was a likely stoppage. A good sign to be thinking in a role he is getting an opportunity at.

Actually gonna defend Reid here (check my temperature) He dropped an absolute sitter early on and I was ready to go Bruce Banner. But let's face it that was the only decent kick inside 50 he got all day. You'd like him to have taken that opportunity when it came, but oh well. He's still not in my best 22, and I still don't rate him, but the fact a key forward did shite in a wet weather scratch match with sub-par skill levels and stuff all free flowing footy should not be a surprise at all.

Actually gonna defend Reid here (check my temperature) He dropped an absolute sitter early on and I was ready to go Bruce Banner. But let's face it that was the only decent kick inside 50 he got all day. You'd like him to have taken that opportunity when it came, but oh well. He's still not in my best 22, and I still don't rate him, but the fact a key forward did sh*te in a wet weather scratch match with sub-par skill levels and stuff all free flowing footy should not be a surprise at all.

It is why no one is hanging McDonald already as well. Today was not a good day for key forwards it was a damp/wet game and as a result the movement through the midfield was slow, the delivery was poor and the ball was rather slippery.

I wish I knew who the players are that played the 5th and 6th periods that are considered “reserves”.

A few missing today such as Hewett, Cunningham, Clarke, Ronke etc that are not on the injury list, have been training (including match sim for most of the), but did not figure in the game today.

*haven’t seen the last quarter yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is why no one is hanging McDonald already as well. Today was not a good day for key forwards it was a damp/wet game and as a result the movement through the midfield was slow, the delivery was poor and the ball was rather slippery.

If it were bone dry I would be concerned if anyone was having a crack at McDonald in his first ever hit out against AFL opposition.

AFL website said the scoreboard stuffed up showing a one point win to the Swans, but it was actually a tie.
Not that it matters, but Ill claim the win with more scoring shots..

The things that really impressed me..
Paps and Heeney picked up from where they left off last year. Two guys Im stoked to have in the forward line.
The back 6 did well despite no Rampe or Cunningham
Both Gulden and Warner never seemed to stop running, found themselves at the every contest and in the right spot at every contest,, so they both won plenty of ball and then used that possesion well -- both were highlights for me, they look like smart and competitive footy players.
Mills, Blakey, McCartin, Dawson, Ling, Campbell, etc etc.. all the young(ish) guys showed good signs.
Great to have a decent ruck again (no offence Sinkers, thinK he's ace)

Throw in Buddy, Rampe, Cunningham.. Hewett, McInerney.. sunshine and crowds.. and we might even play finals this year??

Swore I saw him playing mids in this game.......
And it’ll be nice for there to be actual reserves footy for him to have the opportunity to play as a footballer.. I mean mid.

I don't know what that guy was watching but Warner did indeed play mids. Started in the mids from first bounce third quarter and he was bloody good. Gulden also had time in there in the second half. He was also bloody good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back