Game Day Scratch Match - GWS v Sydney Swans

Slingshot Footy

All Australian
Oct 10, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't mind JPK playing on another year if it means he can take a bit of the battering for the developing inside mids. Rowbottom and Warner might be the future but give them the opportunity to build their bodies up first before we promote them to the engine room full time.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
A lot of love for Hickey but he was against Callan Ward most of the time...
No he wasn't. Flynn played most of the game in the ruck ward only gave him a rest

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we all accept that Hickey has his limitations as there is a reason he is on his 4th club and has only played a little over 100 games but when your last car was a 1957 Trabant then even a 1996 Toyota Corolla looks like a supercar.

As long as Hickey is able to make a contest, not get dominated in the taps and contribute a bit in general play then I will be happy.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
So Ward and a bloke who has played zero AFL games.

Not having a go at the Hick but let's keep a lid on it.

He's a stop gap. He's got some nice skills but he's not a bulldozer.

True, however I looked at how he and Sinclair went against the same opponents (as that is the choice we have) and I thought Hickey was better. Just a practice of course.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
True, however I looked at how he and Sinclair went against the same opponents (as that is the choice we have) and I thought Hickey was better. Just a practice of course.
Hickey hits the tap to advantage at the arc of the ball.
Sinkers often double hand taps to advantage when the ball is closer to eye line. So easy to defend against.
The difference is stark.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Did I hear correctly that Mills will play in the midfield this year?

You did, and he did play in the midfield most of the scratch match, but I have been burned by Longmire for too long on this so I will not confidently say Mills will be played as a midfielder in 2021 until I actually see it happening in the season.

You did, and he did play in the midfield most of the scratch match, but I have been burned by Longmire for too long on this so I will not confidently say Mills will be played as a midfielder in 2021 until I actually see it happening in the season.

Believe it or not, I think Mills has a higher ceiling than Heeney if he can play in the midfield.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
More fascinating is that we actually started to win the ball out of the middle where at one stage in the 2nd it looked like a smashing on the cards with JPK, Parker being in there.

Perhaps a message for the coaching stuff to ponder.
Whoa. 2020 Brownlow Parker 15 votes tied with Dusty and Dangermouse in 5th. Florent 2 votes, Clarke 1. Gives an idea where our young mids are at. Parker's 28 yo. Still in his prime. Coaches are not making midfield decisions based on a scratch match where the opposition midfield was rotating players in and out. A scratch match is to get match fitness and expose some young players to a taste of seniors. Besides, we kicked straighter in the 2nd half but were shite in the first.

Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
We recruited him as a stop gap. He gives us another 2 or 3 years to find a more long term solution.
He's younger than Sinkers and by all accounts a good mentor too. Glad to have him.
Yeah, no champion, but his opponents (apart from rd 2) aren’t exactly daunting. McInerney, O’Brien, Nank, Draper, Flynn/Mumford, Witts, Stanley or worse.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
If you don't want to read fan's opinions on how the Swans are going, you may have come to the wrong website...
Right site, I just don't particularly want to read some of the opinions on here, but there are plenty I do want to read. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but not all opinions are equal or even valid. I seriously doubt anyone, myself included, knows more about footy than the coaching staff. Many Sydney based supporters have never even played a game of footy. Many spout opinions that reflect their own insecurities. Others are echos of an opinion piece thay read in the press or repeating a commentator's opinion. That's just sad.

The reason I come back here is there are many opinions on here that are thoughtful, interesting and/or funny and presented with reasoned arguments, which opens up discussion. Some are just light-hearted taking the piss with other posters.

RUNVS and I often clash but he almost always presents a reasoned argument (below). I can agree or disagree with his conclusion or with any part of his argument, often vehemently but that's just disagreeing with his argument.

.. I think Heeney is able to do the spectacular more, and he is able to turn games completely on his own sometimes too, but he doesn't do it consistently enough. I think Mills will be more consistently good than Heeney.

Posters like Ticky and Jewels are always positive, the best kind of posters, and they're always good to read as a fan. Then there are humourous comments (below), which lighten the mood and remind us not to take ourselves too seriously. It's all just a game in the end.

He really should take the weekends off. We can text in the rotations throughout the game, no problem.

I won't bother quoting any of the posts I don't like, but we all know them. I might not even disagree with the opinion but it's usually and opinion without any supporting arguments, or even an "IMO" added. They always have an opinion, on anything, and it's often a negative one. They state it as if its a fact and anyone who disagrees must be stupid. They show no constraint in crapping on players or staff. They're arrogantly unaware of their own ignorance and convinced they know more than the coaches. What's more they're keen to tell everyone they know better. They remind me of that guy in that ad from years ago, "I know boats".

Usually I just block them.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
So Ward and a bloke who has played zero AFL games.

Not having a go at the Hick but let's keep a lid on it.

He's a stop gap. He's got some nice skills but he's not a bulldozer.
I don't think anyone thought Mummy would turn out as well as he did. He was a stop gap while Pyke developed. Maybe a bit of competition with Naismith can produce two good ruckmen in the end.

Right site, I just don't particularly want to read some of the opinions on here, but there are plenty I do want to read. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but not all opinions are equal or even valid. I seriously doubt anyone, myself included, knows more about footy than the coaching staff. Many Sydney based supporters have never even played a game of footy. Many spout opinions that reflect their own insecurities. Others are echos of an opinion piece thay read in the press or repeating a commentator's opinion. That's just sad.

The reason I come back here is there are many opinions on here that are thoughtful, interesting and/or funny and presented with reasoned arguments, which opens up discussion. Some are just light-hearted taking the piss with other posters.

RUNVS and I often clash but he almost always presents a reasoned argument (below). I can agree or disagree with his conclusion or with any part of his argument, often vehemently but that's just disagreeing with his argument.

Posters like Ticky and Jewels are always positive, the best kind of posters, and they're always good to read as a fan. Then there are humourous comments (below), which lighten the mood and remind us not to take ourselves too seriously. It's all just a game in the end.

I won't bother quoting any of the posts I don't like, but we all know them. I might not even disagree with the opinion but it's usually and opinion without any supporting arguments, or even an "IMO" added. They always have an opinion, on anything, and it's often a negative one. They state it as if its a fact and anyone who disagrees must be stupid. They show no constraint in crapping on players or staff. They're arrogantly unaware of their own ignorance and convinced they know more than the coaches. What's more they're keen to tell everyone they know better. They remind me of that guy in that ad from years ago, "I know boats".

Usually I just block them.

Sister Michael Reaction GIF - SisterMichael Reaction DerryGirls GIFs

Pyke's comments on the match

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Short video of an interview with Justin McInerney also up;

Played the 2 qtrs of the reserve game last week, but sounds as if a bit more work needed before he contends for senior selection.

During the interview there is footage from the (reserves) scratch match.
Be good if that was uploaded by the Swans. Given the vision would also be available to GWS find it hard to think of any reason it couldn't be shown. I'm sure we could cope even if there wasn't any commentary.*

*Cue....it would be a lot bloody better that way. ;)

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It is really nice finally having some attacking players in the team, guys that will really take the game on and also have good skills. Guys like Dawson, Campbell, McInerney etc. For too long we were a bit one note in terms of players willing to take the game on.

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
just finished watching the replays

gulden looks ready for rd1.

campbell is a better kick than dawson which is crazy good. if he plays, he takes lloyds spot in getting the freebie kicks out of defence

midfield looks way better with hickey, and our defence was solid as well, so far so good with the aliir trade

wet game so poor skills, so here's to a better game this sunday. fingers crossed i can make it

Back