VFL Game Day Scratch matches 2020

Two best things to happen to football on the easy coast in this country for some time.

The state league players are going to experience more professional environment than ever before. Travelling interstate the big one.

I really like the 17s/19s as well. Feel a lot more guys are being plucked as a 19 year old. Allowing them to have there own ‘league” is brilliant. Obviously if an u17 is good enough they play 19’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would think the best 17 year old players that still qualify for under 17 would play bottom age under 19 given they can be drafted at 18. It will give a good even spread.

Will it be economical for those clubs to travel interstate? There's enough cash coming into AFL clubs that they can afford the travel easily enough, I'm not so sure if a state league side would have enough spare cash for 30-odd airfares a fortnight

Will it be economical for those clubs to travel interstate? There's enough cash coming into AFL clubs that they can afford the travel easily enough, I'm not so sure if a state league side would have enough spare cash for 30-odd airfares a fortnight
AFL have confirmed that they'll foot the bill for VFL/NEAFL teams that have to travel interstate.

Anyway, who do we have that is possibly fit and might be able to play a Praccy on Thursday probably?

Bellchambers?, Cutler, Begley, Mutch, Townsend, Jones, Bryan, Zerk-Thatcher, Gown, Phillips, McQuillan, McBride, McKernan, Hibberd, Crauford

Honestly I'd expect a couple of them to travel to Adelaide and possibly do a 3-way thing with Richmond and West Coast? There are 36 fit players between the three sides if you take out 1 or 2 emergencies out for each. Have a rotational thing, first period we split our numbers, second period West Coast and third Richmond or something like that.

Okay, I doubt we have a praccy tomorrow but maybe one on Sunday against Geelong? 6 day break ahead of Port. If we do:

Bryan - McBride - McKenna
Redman - Crauford - McQuillan

Cutler - Mutch - Ham
Phillips- Guelfi - Hibberd

Begley - Jones - Gown
Townsend - McKernan - Laverde

Bellchambers
Pending Francis, Bellchambers and Laverde fitness.

Considering they’re only 60 minutes mostly I wouldn’t have thought recovery was much of an issue.
More to do with timing and probably numbers. If either we or our opponent can't field enough players for a 12 v 12 and the only 3 or 4 way option available is halfway between our two games, it becomes logistically difficult. Especially if the seniors are travelling and take emergencies with them. With rests as well as injuries lots of clubs don't have 12 available through a condensed fixture block.

We should get one against Geelong though. We only have Zaka, Johnson, Cahill, Raz, Ambrose, Raz and Pidge injured (pending Bellcho, Lav and Francis) whilst they only have Fort, Ablett, Simpson, Kreuger, Stanley and Selwood. So could see something like:

FB: Gleeson - Bryan - Guelfi
FF: Evans - Schlensog - Tarca
HB: McQuillan - McBride - McKenna
HF: Brownless - Taheny - Close

MF: Cutler - Begley - Ham
MF: Clark - Stephens - Atkins
OB: Bellchambers - Mutch - Hibberd
OB: Ratugolea - Constable - Parsons

HF: Laverde - Jones - Townsend
HB: Jarvis - De Koning - Fogarty
FF: Crauford - Gown - McKernan
FB: Guthrie - Okunbor - Kennerley
Phillips held over emergency cos we have 7 genuine KPP's. And on the other end they literally have 3 KPP plus Okunbor who is would be more of a Laverde match up ideally for them

Last edited:
We're combining with St. Kilda to take on Geelong. We have 9 that are definitely unavailable, St. Kilda have 6, Geelong have 6. That gives us around 50 players between the three sides, with a couple to be rested I'd guess and another couple held over for each side, giving us maybe 20 a side? With a few going over to Geelong (maybe one of the rucks, we have 3 that might play and St Kilda have the same).

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I am not taking a lot from the scratch matches. Have had some feedback from a source at another club and it is they are pretty much a joke. 14 to 16 a side. No pressure. No game plan. Just blokes running around playing bruise free footy to top up their fitness levels. Even more so when you have combined sides. For a club that has needed development for a few players and a decent game for others coming back from injury they have proven to be a joke. The direct quote I got was pretty much anyone can look like a super star as there is zero pressure and with less players a crap load of space. Would not be putting too much into the reviews.

I am not taking a lot from the scratch matches. Have had some feedback from a source at another club and it is they are pretty much a joke. 14 to 16 a side. No pressure. No game plan. Just blokes running around playing bruise free footy to top up their fitness levels. Even more so when you have combined sides. For a club that has needed development for a few players and a decent game for others coming back from injury they have proven to be a joke. The direct quote I got was pretty much anyone can look like a super star as there is zero pressure and with less players a crap load of space. Would not be putting too much into the reviews.
If you look at it that way, what does it say for guys that can't get a kick in a practice match?

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
If you look at it that way, what does it say for guys that can't get a kick in a practice match?

There would be guys that would be quite suited to playing defensive type roles at AFL level that may not excel in that environment you'd think. If he was fit I can't imagine Ambrose would be the best playing that style for example. Intercept marking defenders might also have some issues if they aren't giving much ability to zone off as there is too much space for forwards to work into. That said you'd think most midfielders and forwards should be able to show their wares pretty well.

MattyB3150

Team Captain
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Sounds like our gameplan

Back