VFL Game Day Scratch matches 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Any word if harry Jones will play in scratch matches soon, he isn’t named on the injury list.
Pretty sure he was listed indefinitely last week. Odd. I think he was one of the ones that stayed in Melbourne anyway

Okay, given Gleeson was listed as "managed" and named as an emergency I'm guessing he'll be held over and the other 3 will play:

Guelfi - McBride
Francis - Zerk-Thatcher - McQuillan

Cutler - Begley - Mutch
Draper - Shiel - Clarke

Mosquito - Bellchambers - Gown
Bryan - Stewart

Crauford
As for them:

Young - Trengove
Butler - Lynch - Khamis

McLean - Porter - R Smith
Sweet - West - Hayes

Dickson - Gardner - Lloyd
Schache - Cavarra

Greene
17 on field just begs a question as to which line misses out.

Okay, given Gleeson was listed as "managed" and named as an emergency I'm guessing he'll be held over and the other 3 will play:

Guelfi - McBride
Francis - Zerk-Thatcher - McQuillan

Cutler - Begley - Mutch
Draper - Shiel - Clarke

Mosquito - Bellchambers - Gown
Bryan - Stewart

Crauford
As for them:

Young - Trengove
Butler - Lynch - Khamis

McLean - Porter - R Smith
Sweet - West - Hayes

Dickson - Gardner - Lloyd
Schache - Cavarra

Greene
17 on field just begs a question as to which line misses out.
Shiel will pick up 65 touches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing a ruckman in the back pocket. Just Essington things

View attachment 915654

Appreciate that this is a bit tongue in cheek and it's clear that players are playing out of position because we can't call on VFL players to fill out a reserve 22.

Bryan has some ridiculous athleticism. He's well under 3s for 20m and also elite running jump based on his testing.

Better off giving Bryan a job that not play him or restrict his game time because we have other options, particularly to round him out at a player.

Last edited:
Appreciate that this is a big tongue in cheek and it's clear that players are playing out of position because we can't call on VFL players to fill out a reserve 22.

Bryan has some ridiculous athleticism. He's well under 3s for 20m and also elite running jump based on his testing.

Better off giving Bryan a job that not play him or restrict his game time because we have other options, particularly to round him out at a player.
Yeah I was just taking the piss, I understand the limitations they are facing right now. It was too Essington not to bring up.

Not sure if we have any scratch matches lined up for this week but I think the only possibilities are Richmond (playing in Sydney), St. Kilda (playing in SA) or Brisbane (playing a Sydney based team in Melbourne) and all the other Queensland based sides are playing each other. Given we're both on the Sunday I'd be guessing we play Brisbane at Metricon if anyone, probably on the outside oval of Metricon like the last game.

No praccies this week from what i have read.

Be interesting to see what they do with those not selected. I imagine a flogging of a running session is in order to get miles in their legs.

No praccies this week from what i have read.

Be interesting to see what they do with those not selected. I imagine a flogging of a running session is in order to get miles in their legs.
I'm guessing a mini-intra. Everyone gets a partner and you're supposed to work them over. Let's say Gleeson (held over), Cutler, Laverde, Clarke miss:

Phillips vs Draper
Bryan vs Crauford
Shiel vs Clarke
Cutler vs Mutch
Begley vs Guelfi
Mosquito vs McQuillan
Zerk-Thatcher vs Gown
McBride vs Laverde?

I'm guessing a mini-intra. Everyone gets a partner and you're supposed to work them over. Let's say Gleeson (held over), Cutler, Laverde, Clarke miss:

Phillips vs Draper
Bryan vs Crauford
Shiel vs Clarke
Cutler vs Mutch
Begley vs Guelfi
Mosquito vs McQuillan
Zerk-Thatcher vs Gown
McBride vs Laverde?
8 vs 8? Might as well play AFLX. Would be better off flogging them in a running session i wpuld have thought.

8 vs 8? Might as well play AFLX. Would be better off flogging them in a running session i wpuld have thought.
Given it's 5 days before the next game I reckon a flogging is a monumentally stupid idea

Given it's 5 days before the next game I reckon a flogging is a monumentally stupid idea
No, not really.

Recovering from a 2 hour running session is a lot quicker and easier than recovering from a game. Players recover from 2-3 pure running sessions a week in preseason where they are not as fit as they are now.

Besides, unless all 16 of the guys not playing are coming in vs Brisbane, it wont really matter. I would be more worried about the recovery of those playing. If you are planning to bring a guy in vs Brisbane then you can modify his session if you want, but i doubt it will be needed.

Takes me a decent month to recover from a session

Remove this Banner Ad

Back