VFL Game Day Scratch matches 2020

Do we have any idea who played in the 4 way scratch on Saturday? Other than Cutler, who is mentioned in the SEN article above..

I think Worsfold said Draper did.
Ah yep. Did he mention anyone else do you know? Maybe I should go listen to it again.

Clarke was held over I think. So not him.

If Smack, Zaka and Ham get dropped like I predicted, and Jones is out of iso (maybe a half?):

Bryan - McBride
McQuillan - Bryan - Crauford

Mutch - Clarke - Ham
Phillips - Begley - Lanfford

Zaharakis - Jones - McKernan
Mosquito - Gown
As for them:

B Smith - Eagles
Cox - Payne - Hinge

Robertson - Smith - Allison
Ballenden - Joyce - Mathieson

Christenson - McStay - Wooller
Coleman - Fullarton

Madden - Answerth - Prior
They have a ridiculously healthy list.

If Smack, Zaka and Ham get dropped like I predicted, and Jones is out of iso (maybe a half?):

Bryan - McBride

Mutch - Clarke - Ham

Mosquito - Gown
As for them:

B Smith - Eagles
Cox - Payne - Hinge

Coleman - Fullarton

Its now two years in a row they have had a remarkably healthy list. Some clubs just seem to do it better and it seems to lead to a run of strong form from the consistency. Tigers did it a few years ago and Lions seem to have done it the last couple. Then you look at a team like GWS who have just been ripped to shreds by Injury and the only reason they have done as well as they have is the sheer amount of talent on the list.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon

Bryan - McBride

Mutch - Clarke - Ham

Mosquito - Gown
As for them:

B Smith - Eagles
Cox - Payne - Hinge

Coleman - Fullarton

Would we play Langford or even Zaka and Smack if they are dropped? Given what’s ahead I reckon theyd take the opportunity to freshen them up.

Its now two years in a row they have had a remarkably healthy list. Some clubs just seem to do it better and it seems to lead to a run of strong form from the consistency. Tigers did it a few years ago and Lions seem to have done it the last couple. Then you look at a team like GWS who have just been ripped to shreds by Injury and the only reason they have done as well as they have is the sheer amount of talent on the list.
Yeah, their medical staff is one of the best in the business.
Would we play Langford or even Zaka and Smack if they are dropped? Given what’s ahead I reckon theyd take the opportunity to freshen them up.
And a 60-80 minute scratch match is so hard on the bodies? Smack and Zaka in particular need to find form, and we probably only schedule a couple of practice matches over the next 4 games, if whoever we drop doesn't play this week and our next scratchie is 2 weeks from when we play this they could be without match practice for a month. I'd rather they retain some touch.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah, their medical staff is one of the best in the business.

And a 60-80 minute scratch match is so hard on the bodies? Smack and Zaka in particular need to find form, and we probably only schedule a couple of practice matches over the next 4 games, if whoever we drop doesn't play this week and our next scratchie is 2 weeks from when we play this they could be without match practice for a month. I'd rather they retain some touch.

Will be interesting, they didn’t play Shiel. Zaka wont be dropped so no point debating him.
Langford will be straight back in next week so will definitely benefit from a week off.
Smack looks cooked, a rest is what he needs in my opinion.

Are we even playing one anyway? Not sure Brisbane would be all that keen given they play again 4 days after our match.

Will be interesting, they didn’t play Shiel. Zaka wont be dropped so no point debating him.
Langford will be straight back in next week so will definitely benefit from a week off.
Smack looks cooked, a rest is what he needs in my opinion.

Are we even playing one anyway? Not sure Brisbane would be all that keen given they play again 4 days after our match.
Langford I completely understand but I tend to put anyone who's fit in.

Smack needs form more than anything IMO, and he's not going to get that by twiddling his thumbs on the sidelines.

I reckon we'd want one, and might have a reduced or combined one with Melbourne, given they can't do one with Port (Maybe a 15 vs 15 with players rotating through with each team. One period Full Ess/Bris, Mel split; Next full Ess/Mel, Bris split; third full Bris/Mel, Ess split).

Cutler, Mutch and Draper played for the "Richbourne Bombers" last week.

Essendon had just three players - Tom Cutler, Kobe Mutch and Sam Draper - feature in a combined scratch match with Carlton, Richmond and Melbourne last week, but had a further 10 reserves players rested to enhance their chances of featuring in the coming weeks.

AFL website article syndicated to club website.

R t james

Debutant
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I’ve enjoyed watching the previous scratch matches to see who’s going okay but the last one was filmed from 10km away , all I saw was one ant to the next , someone was playing well

Did I see McKenna playing forward in the scratch? Only a 3m highlight video so not much to go off. I think he is blond now

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
McKenna looked fantastic up forward in those highlights, seems a no brainer to try that out against the giants

Looks like he was creating chaos up forward and then was moved to half back again. Will we ever take a long term risk with big upside?

Numbers, prominent ones were 47 Crauford, 45 McKenna and 37 Clarke.
Yep, although 13 was plainly not Fantasia, 21 wasn't Heppell and 22 wasn't Mosquito either. So worth double checking as it appears the numbers are a crapshoot with players from three teams wearing their regular numbers.

With no McKenna and no Fantasia our only fast rebounder was Saad and he got shut down last week. We potentially lose that weapon sending McKenna forward, so I wouldn't be expecting him to be there full-time, unless McGrath plays as a rebound defender and/or Gleeson, Redman get on their bikes.

Yep, although 13 was plainly not Fantasia, 21 wasn't Heppell and 22 wasn't Mosquito either. So worth double checking as it appears the numbers are a crapshoot with players from three teams wearing their regular numbers.

With no McKenna and no Fantasia our only fast rebounder was Saad and he got shut down last week. We potentially lose that weapon sending McKenna forward, so I wouldn't be expecting him to be there full-time, unless McGrath plays as a rebound defender and/or Gleeson, Redman get on their bikes.
Redman was essentially playing as a free wheeling defender last year. Just release him into that role.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon

Notice those players had red shorts instead of black aswell

Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Gold Coast loaned a bunch of players for the game: https://www.afl.com.au/news/478327/suns-loan-out-five-players-no-11-pick-knocking-on-the-door-

The Suns are in the unusual position of having a healthy playing list and will begin a stretch of four games in 16 days starting with Greater Western Sydney at Metricon Stadium on Sunday.

Following that, Gold Coast hosts St Kilda just four days later.

To ensure they're prepared for any scenario, the Suns have loaned five players – Brayden Fiorini, Jeremy Sharp, Zac Smith, Caleb Graham and Sam Flanders – to play in a reserves scratch-match between Essendon and Brisbane on Friday.

Notice those players had red shorts instead of black aswell
I noticed red shorts but wasn't sure what the pattern was (and didn't know which clubs were involved which makes it trickier!) thought they might've been Lions players haha. Going off earlier scratch matches they seem to wear unbranded guernseys and their own shorts/socks when they swap sides. Perhaps the ridiculously long camera angle was to cover for the lack of unbranded guernseys 🤔

Back