VFL Game Day Scratch matches 2020

So I'd be surprised if we played any sort of scratchy tomorrow but one on Sunday could be a possibility against St. Kilda. With that in mind perhaps we go with something like:

FB: Bryan - Mutch
HB: McQuillan - McBride - Ham

OB: Phillips/Bellchambers - Clarke - Hibberd

HF: Mosquito - Jones - Cahill
FF: Crauford - Gown
This is on the assumption that anybody who played last start or any potential replacement for those who got injured will be rested rather than playing a second, however low intensity, match within 5 days. If anybody is genuinely dropped and doesn't win their place back through someone else being rested (Zaharakis, Cutler, McKernan) I woudn't be surprised to see them play however.

Okay, who's fit, not being rested and not playing today?

Defenders: Bryan, Gown, McQuillan, Mosquito
Midfielders: Ham, Phillips, Hibberd
Forwards: Daniher, Cahill, Jones, Crauford

Just sticking Gown and Mozzie in defence because they apparently spent time there last praccy. I highly suspect we'll be on the blower to get a few players to chop out.

...Is that Joe?

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 16.24.58.png

Lol it isn't, and there's more weird numbers going on too.

49 should be Tom Hird:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 16.29.02.png

38 should be Sam Draper:

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 16.29.25.png

20 is Townsend:
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 16.31.44.png

8 is Gleeson, 36 is Lachie Johnson.
Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 16.31.24.png

There's a really big number 13 running around too. 🙄

Last edited:

Lore we had 8-10 Richmond players with us as well, they're probably the 36, 8 etc. Most likely players with similar frames like Garthwaite for Marty or Will Martyn (also 36) for Johnson. Phillips is 38

Lore we had 8-10 Richmond players with us as well, they're probably the 36, 8 etc. Most likely players with similar frames like Garthwaite for Marty or Will Martyn (also 36) for Johnson. Phillips is 38
Maybe, but I doubt whoever is in 13 has the same frame as Fantasia 😬

Got smashed. went down by 35 in 60 minutes of football.
When you're playing with a mash up of two teams of 10 as opposed to 16 or so and maybe a couple of Gold Coast players it isn't that surprising.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
When you're playing with a mash up of two teams of 10 as opposed to 16 or so and maybe a couple of Gold Coast players it isn't that surprising.

Apparently not our defence so we can take solace in that. Still would have liked a more competitive score with Crauford, Gown, Jones, Mossie and Higgins guest starring up forward.

Apparently not our defence so we can take solace in that. Still would have liked a more competitive score with Crauford, Gown, Jones, Mossie and Higgins guest starring up forward.
Yeah I'm expecting "our" defence to be made up of Garthwaite, Miler, Nyuon, McQuillan, Eggmollesse-Smith and maybe someone like Ralphsmith maybe?

Bulldogs forward line would have had Schache, Weightman, Gowers, Dickson, one of the Youngs so it doesn't exactly make me tremble in my boots outside of Schache and maybe Weightman. Would have played Ross on someone like Dicko probably

Anyway, moving onto the Richmond scratchie and the fact we probably don't rest anyone after having a "normal" week of footy, perhaps something like:

FB: Bryan - Gown
HB: McQuillan - McBride - Guelfi

Wings: Cutler - Ham
Rucks: Bellchambers - Hibberd - Cahill

HF: Townsend - Daniher - Jones
FF: Phillips - McKernan​

All of what has happened proves that they will need some sort of reserves competition even if it is 16 a side full games. Was speaking to the recruiting manager from a division 1 club I used to be an assistant coach at and they are working on what will happen now that there is no alignment between the AFL and VFL going forward which pricked my ears as I had not heard anything official about that.

All of what has happened proves that they will need some sort of reserves competition even if it is 16 a side full games. Was speaking to the recruiting manager from a division 1 club I used to be an assistant coach at and they are working on what will happen now that there is no alignment between the AFL and VFL going forward which pricked my ears as I had not heard anything official about that.
North were on record maybe a week or two ago saying that they were looking for a realignment?

North were on record maybe a week or two ago saying that they were looking for a realignment?

Who knows. Everyone you talk to seems just as in the dark as the next. All I know is lists of 35 and scratch matches will not work and that was the preferred AFL stance 3 months ago.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Who knows. Everyone you talk to seems just as in the dark as the next. All I know is lists of 35 and scratch matches will not work and that was the preferred AFL stance 3 months ago.
I have my doubts about the rona being done with by next year. Something needs to be organised because it seems like a bit of a dog's breakfast at the moment.

Thank crist for that. Honestly though, VFL is the best way to do it. Playing in actual competitive matches help a lot more than these scratch matches

As of tonight we'll have used 37 of our players this season, although to be fair that includes 3 rookies I suppose, so 34 off our senior list, 13 rounds in. The ones that haven't played aren't the ones you'd want to delist though: Daniher, Ambrose, Gown, Jones, Bryan, Johnson, (McQuillan, McBride, Crauford, Hird).

I could see a shorter senior list if you have ~20 rookie/VFL/playing coach-veteran contracts on top of 30 or so senior listed players, with the old LTI rookie upgrade scheme (perhaps redefine an LTI as 4+ games with modern medicine and modern fixtures). Could potentially include some VFL/WAFL/SANFL/NEAFL teams or players, or even draft prospects under appropriate circumstances. Would have repercussions on the draft though, can't be rotating three on/off a list of 30 every year. But given we've already split the national draft into the first round and the later rounds, I guess it's really not that different.

They could also just leave the list sizes alone and play more games in a year, if one extra club is financially justified by adding 17 extra games to the season then surely two extra rounds in a season would raise a similar amount. If the AFLPA protests that the players should be paid more to play/train for longer/more games, then just make a rule that no player can play more than 22 H&A games each season 🤷‍♀️ with condensed fixtures around the bye or byes, they'll need to be managed anyway.

Lists of 35 would be a disaster. We've already seen sides have their depth seriously tested on certain positions with the current number of players available, reducing the number of players would only make things worse.

Also what would happen with the existing contracts? A club might have most of it's midfield contracted for at least one more year but none of their KPFs for example. They'd have to delist or trade a contracted player in order to retain sufficient KPFs in a situation where the list size is drastically reduced.

NEAFL and VFL merging.
Yikes. They're turning the whole thing on its head.

Changes to NAB League and women's footy as well.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Probably a best case scenario for the VFL, I don’t think 17s and 19s is the worst idea either.

Two best things to happen to football on the easy coast in this country for some time.

The state league players are going to experience more professional environment than ever before. Travelling interstate the big one.

I really like the 17s/19s as well. Feel a lot more guys are being plucked as a 19 year old. Allowing them to have there own ‘league” is brilliant. Obviously if an u17 is good enough they play 19’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back