2nds Scratch Matches Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know or heard anything regarding how Clavarino is going? there was an article the other week about him close to getting a senior game, but haven't really heard anything else since. After looking at his draft highlights and profile, if he's put on some size he seems like he could be a handy Defender for a long time in the future.

"Abbott added to his impressive outing with two majors after being swung up forward"

A Billy Longer who can mark and kick - I hope he gets a run soon.
Nah , i dont think he is like Longer , a far better player with more skills , i saw him in a couple of scratch matches down here before they left , he can play

Anyone know or heard anything regarding how Clavarino is going? there was an article the other week about him close to getting a senior game, but haven't really heard anything else since. After looking at his draft highlights and profile, if he's put on some size he seems like he could be a handy Defender for a long time in the future.
Given the state of affairs with our ladder position he's 100-1 of getting a run. Maybe if there's a dead rubber in the last regular season match.

Given the state of affairs with our ladder position he's 100-1 of getting a run. Maybe if there's a dead rubber in the last regular season match.
oh i understand he'd be very doubtful of getting a game unless there's injury or a dead rubber. Just wanted to know if anyone had news on how he's tracking? haven't heard much at all

oh i understand he'd be very doubtful of getting a game unless there's injury or a dead rubber. Just wanted to know if anyone had news on how he's tracking? haven't heard much at all
You'll find out when final lists are lodged at the end of the year. That's all we can expect now unfortunately..

You'll find out when final lists are lodged at the end of the year. That's all we can expect now unfortunately..

I'd say two of brown/Austin/clav/joyce are probably done. Nath has taken one for the team. Joyce and Austin seem known quantities with little upside at this stage (but at least can play) Clav may be also be a known quantity to the guys at the club - unfortunately from a supporter perspective we don't know know much about a guy who's been on our list for nearly 3 years.

Depends on a lot of things - would be one of the more unlucky ones if list sizes are decreased.

I'd say two of brown/Austin/clav/joyce are probably done. Nath has taken one for the team. Joyce and Austin seem known quantities with little upside at this stage (but at least can play) Clav may be also be a known quantity to the guys at the club - unfortunately from a supporter perspective we don't know know much about a guy who's been on our list for nearly 3 years.

Depends on a lot of things - would be one of the more unlucky ones if list sizes are decreased.
By all accounts Oscar could be very good. I fully expect they will keep Oscar and Austin

Clavarino closes in on long-awaited debut
Oscar Clavarino has overcome his long-standing hamstring injury to piece together his strongest showing in last Friday's scratch match against Brisbane.

By Chris Nice on Jul 27, 2020, 8:23am

Clav-a.jpg

At a glance:

• Oscar Clavarino has put his best foot forward towards a senior call-up following a strong showing in last Friday's scratch match against Brisbane.
  • It was the 21-year-old's second game back from a hamstring issue, with his marking a highlight in the wet conditions.
  • St Kilda is preparing to play Rounds 9-12 in the space of 16 days.Oscar Clavarino has his sights set on a long-awaited AFL debut after piecing together his best performance in Friday’s scratch match against Brisbane.The 21-year-old has battled a persistent hamstring issue since Round 3, with last week's performance just his second competitive hit-out post-injury.Development Manager Ben McGlynn said it was encouraging to see Clavarino hit his straps against the high-end Lions after an extended period on the sidelines.

“It was really good to see him play a good game,” McGlynn told saints.com.au.“He went for his marking, he represented us well in the air and his ground level defence was pretty good too.“He can play on the smalls and the talls and he’s got Logan Austin down there as well who is playing that deeper defensive role, so between those two they rotate their responsibilities.“Clav’s strength is his intercept marking, so we’ll try and get him to play that position as much as we can.”

Oscar Clavarino puts in the hard yards at the club's Northern Territory camp in November last year. Photo: Corey Scicluna.The Haileybury recruit was cut down with a syndesmosis injury in the Saints’ intra-club match in February last year after a promising pre-season, before going on to play 14 matches for Sandringham in the VFL to close out the year.Now, his importance to St Kilda’s depth has been bumped up following Nathan Brown’s return to Victoria late last week.

By all accounts Oscar could be very good. I fully expect they will keep Oscar and Austin

Clavarino closes in on long-awaited debut
Oscar Clavarino has overcome his long-standing hamstring injury to piece together his strongest showing in last Friday's scratch match against Brisbane.

By Chris Nice on Jul 27, 2020, 8:23am

Clav-a.jpg

At a glance:

• Oscar Clavarino has put his best foot forward towards a senior call-up following a strong showing in last Friday's scratch match against Brisbane.
  • It was the 21-year-old's second game back from a hamstring issue, with his marking a highlight in the wet conditions.
  • St Kilda is preparing to play Rounds 9-12 in the space of 16 days.Oscar Clavarino has his sights set on a long-awaited AFL debut after piecing together his best performance in Friday’s scratch match against Brisbane.The 21-year-old has battled a persistent hamstring issue since Round 3, with last week's performance just his second competitive hit-out post-injury.Development Manager Ben McGlynn said it was encouraging to see Clavarino hit his straps against the high-end Lions after an extended period on the sidelines.

“It was really good to see him play a good game,” McGlynn told saints.com.au.“He went for his marking, he represented us well in the air and his ground level defence was pretty good too.“He can play on the smalls and the talls and he’s got Logan Austin down there as well who is playing that deeper defensive role, so between those two they rotate their responsibilities.“Clav’s strength is his intercept marking, so we’ll try and get him to play that position as much as we can.”

Oscar Clavarino puts in the hard yards at the club's Northern Territory camp in November last year. Photo: Corey Scicluna.The Haileybury recruit was cut down with a syndesmosis injury in the Saints’ intra-club match in February last year after a promising pre-season, before going on to play 14 matches for Sandringham in the VFL to close out the year.Now, his importance to St Kilda’s depth has been bumped up following Nathan Brown’s return to Victoria late last week.

Seems like he might get a call up this week, there's not usually a feature article about a young player on zero games unless he's about to debut.

Gotta see how he handles real footy before we renew his contract, so a few games in a row would be ideal. Hope he does well.

Seems like he might get a call up this week, there's not usually a feature article about a young player on zero games unless he's about to debut.

Gotta see how he handles real footy before we renew his contract, so a few games in a row would be ideal. Hope he does well.
Austin the article was from from July 29 so it's a month old say, however he could get a run in the near future.
He has had a injury plagued start to his career but hopefully he right to go now.
Being 21 and 1.97m tall he should be a very good asset to have.

Re Clav; no news is bad news.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I do find it funny when we recruit a young KPP like Clav, we all say give him time the big guys always take longer. Fast forward a year or two said player hasn't cracked the ones yet. We have wasted a pick player was never going to make it, what was the club thinking

I do find it funny when we recruit a young KPP like Clav, we all say give him time the big guys always take longer. Fast forward a year or two said player hasn't cracked the ones yet. We have wasted a pick player was never going to make it, what was the club thinking
They were thinking they wanted a KPD to replacement Nathan Brown in the future so they took the u18 AA full back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were thinking they wanted a KPD to replacement Nathan Brown in the future so they took the u18 AA full back.
Yep
At the time i thought it was a good choice and still have hope that he makes it

Hopefully he gets 1 more year to develop himself. It would be very hard with not playing real games for a key position player to develop themselves properly against proper sized opponents.
Oscar has talent and now at 21 and stronger than when he was selected in the draft as a skinny kid will show he will be a perfect replacement if Howard or Carlisle go down.
Its good they have taken time with him to let him develop.

The only problem can we afford to play another young guy in our inexperienced back line.

Surely we'd keep Clav on. With Brown retiring and Carlisle having the odd back trouble, it seems Clav is next in line now?
Might get another year to develop and see what he will do.

Personally I dont think he makes it and well end up trading in another defender and or drafting some more young talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back