Review Scratch matches vs the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Did a couple of good things, did some really poor things.
Yep, but early days, however if his level doesn't lift early in the season proper a wake up call on selection night might sharpen his focus.

It was his lackadaisical approach/attitude that raised my eyebrows. With the game over he picked some cheap touches across half back so let's wait n see.

As for Jones way way too early to be making any judgement.

Hartlett is the most overrated elite kick we've ever had. I reckon if people went back and studied our games they'd notice an awful lot of errors. Have been dark on him for a while and that prelim final and this trial game only reinforces my feelings.
^ is hard to argue against especially in the last year or two. Imo he needs a reminder his spot is not written in stone. I'd put Mots in the same vein.

We know he's out of contract at year's end sooo if we want the best out of him this year hold off talks until the year is over. Steven plays his best when he's hungry

maybe it's ditto for Hammer. We're not gunna go anywhere if senior players are going to loaf around in 2nd gear thinking their spot is a given.

Right now my main concern is our crowded forward line. Multiple forwards flying for the same ball instead of leading in different tangents thereby splitting the

oppo defence wide open. Case in point the early game on Saturday where our 1st mark in the fwd 50 came an hour into the game...... looking at you Bassett

^ is hard to argue against especially in the last year or two. Imo he needs a reminder his spot is not written in stone. I'd put Mots in the same vein.

We know he's out of contract at year's end sooo if we want the best out of him this year hold off talks until the year is over. Steven plays his best when he's hungry

maybe it's ditto for Hammer. We're not gunna go anywhere if senior players are going to loaf around in 2nd gear thinking their spot is a given.

Right now my main concern is our crowded forward line. Multiple forwards flying for the same ball instead of leading in different tangents thereby splitting the

oppo defence wide open. Case in point the early game on Saturday where our 1st mark in the fwd 50 came an hour into the game...... looking at you Bassett

I feel like there's still an instruction to hold possession until the ideal option pops up. I understand the thinking - its better to have the ball than to turn it over and have to get it back, but in the current game the opposition just floods our 50 (and so do we) and we spend so much time overusing it. Then the opposition gets the ball and takes a direct line to the other end of the field. Very frustrating to watch.

I feel like there's still an instruction to hold possession until the ideal option pops up. I understand the thinking - its better to have the ball than to turn it over and have to get it back, but in the current game the opposition just floods our 50 (and so do we) and we spend so much time overusing it. Then the opposition gets the ball and takes a direct line to the other end of the field. Very frustrating to watch.
Hinkleyball where problem solving involves hardery for longery and a soma cube puzzle sees Ken reach for a hammer.

Bergman would be the one that shoves out Hartlett I imagine.

...but I can also see us playing both of them. Our selection team has always had a penchant for loading up on half back flankers.

McKenzie was injured for the internal trial, hard to even achieve the level of sketchy in those circumstances. First game for the season on Saturday. I don't think judgement can really be passed on him until he plays his second preseason game.

All it takes for him to lose his spot is injury. Was completely anonymous on the weekend too. He's not a lock despite his good season last year.

He's one of those guys that could very well get a minor injury and never reclaim his place. I'd say he knows it too!

The 'perfect' is the enemy of the 'good'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'perfect' is the enemy of the 'good'
Totally concur.
We don't have the cattle to play "perfect" posession footy.
Just need to be "good" as you say, make sound, logical decisions, kick the ball to the advantage of our forwards and back them to do the rest.
David King mentioned that Richmond accept that footy is a game of many errors, and they wait for errors, then capitalise on turnovers with manic pressure and counter attacks. They had a ridiculous variance of points conceded through errors to points scored themselves due to turnovers compared to other sides.

Hartlett is the most overrated elite kick we've ever had. I reckon if people went back and studied our games they'd notice an awful lot of errors. Have been dark on him for a while and that prelim final and this trial game only reinforces my feelings.
He is a long kick, not necessarily an accurate one. So "elite" probably doesn't sum his kicking skills appropriately.

Chris Dittmar: "That could have been nasty, but no damage done."

*Marshall is lying on the ground, not moving*

Chris Dittmar: "That could have been nasty, but because it was Rory Sloane I think Marshall has just been cured of leprosy."

He is a long kick, not necessarily an accurate one. So "elite" probably doesn't sum his kicking skills appropriately.
Except he rarely kicks long anyway. 'Kick it long!' as Plan A, B and C doesn't work beyond under 7's, but Hartlett and McKenzie should have license to do every 5th or 6th kick from 55 - 65 long. Just enough times that opposition coaches will worry about it being a long goal and see the need to push a player or two up the ground towards them when they are moving towards the 50, rather than our current situation of happy to leave everyone back as we move it in slow and short too often. Then if they do push up, there should be a player free closer to goal (20-40 out) now unmanned. It's one of my gripes we never do this and force a change in opposition tactics beyond 'flood our forward line' (when it's not completely empty of our own players).

Except he rarely kicks long anyway. 'Kick it long!' as Plan A, B and C doesn't work beyond under 7's, but Hartlett and McKenzie should have license to do every 5th or 6th kick from 55 - 65 long. Just enough times that opposition coaches will worry about it being a long goal and see the need to push a player or two up the ground towards them when they are moving towards the 50, rather than our current situation of happy to leave everyone back as we move it in slow and short too often. Then if they do push up, there should be a player free closer to goal (20-40 out) now unmanned. It's one of my gripes we never do this and force a change in opposition tactics beyond 'flood our forward line' (when it's not completely empty of our own players).
Spread the field. Long kickers should be potential goal-kickers whenever in range. They would either open space in F50 or score. Both outcomes are good.

Chris Dittmar: "That could have been nasty, but no damage done."

Resurrected yet ?
No damage done ....To Sloane!

I dont think he saw any Port players out there. He certainly didnt know half the names. Either got them wrong half the time, or at other times just mentioned no name ... "Err Port kicks it inside 50"

It was embarrassing really.

Last edited:
I just watched it this morning and his commentary was beyond ludicrous. I mean, does he even know the game? There were times he was calling things that clearly showed he has no concept of the game at all. On one occasion as Orazio & a Crows defender were running to a ball coming in, the Crow reaches out to his left to take a grab and falls over, with Orazio behind him. Dittmar goes "Oooh, big clash there!" Then when Orazio grabs the loose ball and goals, its "LOL the umpire has let that one go, I thought it was a free."

I was just shaking my head. He should never be allowed near a commentary mic again

I just watched it this morning and his commentary was beyond ludicrous. I mean, does he even know the game? There were times he was calling things that clearly showed he has no concept of the game at all. On one occasion as Orazio & a Crows defender were running to a ball coming in, the Crow reaches out to his left to take a grab and falls over, with Orazio behind him. Dittmar goes "Oooh, big clash there!" Then when Orazio grabs the loose ball and goals, its "LOL the umpire has let that one go, I thought it was a free."

I was just shaking my head. He should never be allowed near a commentary mic again
No wonder why he got the flick from MMM footy commentary

How Butters slid so far in the draft is beyond me. Not complaining, he is a special footballer and glad we have him

I feel his move into the midfield will pay the ultimate dividend come finals footy where his style of play would be suited.

Overall happy with how we look, and up forward we have a multitude of weapons now with Fantasia added who can kick goals from nothing. With him, Gray, Motlop, Rozee, Butters, Farrell we are well covered for small crumbing players to feed off the contests Dixon provides. Ladhams looks to have gone up another gear, and thought Toddy looked great until he got hurt.

Aliir adds a bit, and I think Bergman & the beast Jones will debut sooner rather then later.
A 20kg, 5’8 Half Forward with a Bung shoulder... and it surprises you he ‘slid’ to 14?

I would say it was a great eye to reach and take him inside the top 25.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back