Review Scratch matches vs the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Rozee, but wouldve taken Smith in hindsight. Still a good pick, Smith's just amazing and would punt Rockliff out immediately.

I don't even know why anyone would have this take, or even bring it up for discussion. Your dislike of what Rockliff brings is probably clouding your judgement on just how good Rozee is. Smith is excellent, but he also was extremely clear that he wanted to stay at home, and with the recent publication about his mental health problems - I don't feel like Smith was ever an option for us.

Besides, we've probably been working on Merrett since about the time we drafted Rozee, so it's all looking pretty well planned for.

I don't even know why anyone would have this take, or even bring it up for discussion. Your dislike of what Rockliff brings is probably clouding your judgement on just how good Rozee is. Smith is excellent, but he also was extremely clear that he wanted to stay at home, and with the recent publication about his mental health problems - I don't feel like Smith was ever an option for us.

Besides, we've probably been working on Merrett since about the time we drafted Rozee, so it's all looking pretty well planned for.
Smith actively told Non-Vic clubs that in order for him to come to the club they would have to pay for his GF to come up as well, and then after two years he would leave anyway. He was the best midfield talent in that draft but was just a massive tool

For 2 reasons, people were talking about individual picks being reaches or the right calls in certain spots. 2ndly because you're looking at it way more literally than I am. I agree we really ended up having little choice, Smith said he wasn't coming here I agree, and I agree Rozee was a great pick there's no doubt there. I'm just saying that in a perfect world without considering all the other factors Smith is a star, and I would've put in a heap of work to turn him around on his stay in Vic mentality. I've edited my post to make it clearer what I was saying.

If the draft was to go again today (and you removed go home factor) I'd take Smith or Max King with pick 1 personally. Luko being the biggest slider slipping way down the order, probably below Duursma.

Last edited:
i dont see it in mead. i know its early and they didnt have last year to improve etc. but i just dont see it.
Schofield also but to a lesser degree.

this up coming draft we need to draft mid after mid!

i dont see it in mead. i know its early and they didnt have last year to improve etc. but i just dont see it.

houston gave Mead a special mention this morning as doing particularly well in the trial.

Last edited:

Watching the game, I thought we did better in the middle after half time when Mead and Schofield were in there.

Smith actively told Non-Vic clubs that in order for him to come to the club they would have to pay for his GF to come up as well, and then after two years he would leave anyway. He was the best midfield talent in that draft but was just a massive tool
Smith is a fabulous inside midfielder, but Rozee has had a far bigger impact on the club than Smith would have had. Rozee has replaced Wingard as the fan-favorite, the role-model that kids want to be like, the player that girls want to melt over. He plays a different game to Smith, and in the long-run will become a greater player than him IMO. Definitely, in every way, his value to the club and team is much greater than what Smith would have brought.

For 2 reasons, people were talking about individual picks being reaches or the right calls in certain spots. 2ndly because you're looking at it way more literally than I am. I agree we really ended up having little choice, Smith said he wasn't coming here I agree, and I agree Rozee was a great pick there's no doubt there. I'm just saying that in a perfect world without considering all the other factors Smith is a star, and I would've put in a heap of work to turn him around on his stay in Vic mentality. I've edited my post to make it clearer what I was saying.

If the draft was to go again today (and you removed go home factor) I'd take Smith or Max King with pick 1 personally. Luko being the biggest slider slipping way down the order, probably below Duursma.

So you acknowledge that picking him up would require it to be a perfect world in which he would want to stay in Adelaide, but your original post says you'd take him in hindsight. That's totally contradictory.

In hindsight Rozee was our best option and still is.

I get making these kinds of calls when the player you pick up is a dud but that couldn't be further from the truth with Rozee. What a waste of time to even consider not picking him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you acknowledge that picking him up would require it to be a perfect world in which he would want to stay in Adelaide, but your original post says you'd take him in hindsight. That's totally contradictory.

In hindsight Rozee was our best option and still is.

I get making these kinds of calls when the player you pick up is a dud but that couldn't be further from the truth with Rozee. What a waste of time to even consider not picking him up.
If given an opportunity to re-pick, & choose between Smith & Rozee, the club would choose Rozee a thousand times over! There is no doubt about that.

I love Rozee, but personally (without considering the home sick issues) I wouldve taken Smith in hindsight. Still a good pick, Rozee's a gun, I just think Smith's amazing and would punt Rockliff out immediately.

Nah.

If there was anyone else you'd consider, maybe Ben King just for the fact that he's a key position. But nah, I like Smith but I'm still going the impact player.

Na, it's the same as when there was 100 threads on Boak V Selwood after a few years. Nothing wrong with discussing picks. We can't say we nailed Butters and Duursma but on the other hand not talk about possibilities other picks might not have been the best players.

Basically all I was saying was that I think Smith is a better player than Rozee at the moment, and the type of player we need more. I worded it poorly on the back of the other posts talking drafting, but I stick by my opinion on that and would LOVE Smith. Happy for others to disagree.

If I redid the draft it'd be like
1. Smith
2. M King
3. Walsh
4. Rozee
5. Butters
6. Duursma
7. Lukosius

The King giraffes haven't done a hell of a lot yet apart from being really tall.

On performance to date, we've got 3 of the best 5 from that draft (Smith and Walsh being the other 2).

As for Smith v Rozee, I'd take Butters before both of them.

ill have to re watch it. i cant think of anything major he did, or that special stand out quality he has etc
During the game I was thinking Mead had a future with us. Good hands too.

But Schoey was a bit disappointing. It was a surprise to me that others thought he played ok.

But then I remembered that for many of the young guys it was their first game for yonks.

Drew has a future here too, after me wondering why he was still on the list! A Rocky replacement sme time.

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Redraft as it sits for me currently top 10

1 Walsh
2 Max King
3 Butters
4 Rozee
5 Smith
6 Lukosius
7 Ben King
8 Rankine
9 Blakely
10 Duursma

Redraft as it sits for me currently top 10

1 Walsh
2 Max King
3 Butters
4 Rozee
5 Smith
6 Lukosius
7 Ben King
8 Rankine
9 Blakely
10 Duursma
Incredibly stacked draft, I think we obviously aced our picks but there’s a few that would be handy in there so far and some players are only going to get better.

I’d probably go.

Lukocious
Rozee
King M
Butters
Walsh.

Get Rozee though the season without his foot being too much of an issue could still be the best of the crop.

Na, it's the same as when there was 100 threads on Boak V Selwood after a few years. Nothing wrong with discussing picks. We can't say we nailed Butters and Duursma but on the other hand not talk about possibilities other picks might not have been the best players.

Basically all I was saying was that I think Smith is a better player than Rozee at the moment, and the type of player we need more. I worded it poorly on the back of the other posts talking drafting, but I stick by my opinion on that and would LOVE Smith. Happy for others to disagree.

If I redid the draft it'd be like
1. Smith
2. M King
3. Walsh
4. Rozee
5. Butters
6. Duursma
7. Lukosius
your on drugs, Smith isnt even close to Rozee, a better comparison would be Smith or Duursma in which case i'd take Duursma because he's a better runner, more courageous and is a smarter footballer all round. Smith is the type of player that in 3 years time you will be saying has he really improved from what he was in his first 2 years?

Walsh is basically Kane Cornes without the tagging ability. I'm not sure how much he moves the needle for a lot of finals clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back