Scripted games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have resulted in non-Sydney fans losing interest...... for a week.

Wow. I know this is just a wild guess, but I have a suspicion that anyone with a brain bigger than a pixel could work out that the better outcome for the AFL would be, oh I don't know, to see the Giants win the comp or at least make a Grand Final and justify the millions of dollars they've poured into the club. A club with a far bigger potential fan base than what the Dogs will ever achieve, even if it is far less loyal.

With all the backlash going on over the extra salary cap, zones and academies that had been given to GWS, a GWS flag last year would have been a disaster from an AFL perspective.

The AFL didn't just suddenly decide to strip GWS of their extra salary cap at the end of last year for no reason, when their extra salary cap was originally supposed to be gone by 2019. Not to mention the Riverina zone being taken off them.

Once Geelong were KO'd from the finals series last year, a Bulldogs flag was the only good outcome for the AFL.

It would give the AFL their own Leicester City type story, giving hope to other unsuccessful AFL clubs that they too would have a chance of reaching the holy grail rather than continue to make up the numbers year in, year out, as one of the historically unsuccessful clubs would break a 62 year premiership drought.

And yeah I do remember.

We averaged 321 less spectators per game than in 1996, when we went 13-8 coming off a grand final appearance hahaha. Gee they deserted us in droves that year.
Not to mention that wretched 2015 season. With part of the ground being redeveloped, we averaged 900 less than 2016 when we finished 3rd in the home and away season. God it was like playing in front of no-one at all.

Why were the Cats $8m in debt and close to either folding or having to leave cheat park to become a tenant of the new Docklands stadium if the fans were really sticking fat with the team?

Geelong fans are the biggest bunch of frontrunners in the league along with Port fans.

AFL tampers with 'official' crowd figures all the time, but I'm sure you already know this.

Good thing you were able to open the cheque book and get Carlton's best player so you could get back to being a remotely watchable side.

See I can do it too.

Who? Sauce Jacobs?

With all the backlash going on over the extra salary cap, zones and academies that had been given to GWS, a GWS flag last year would have been a disaster from an AFL perspective.

The AFL didn't just suddenly decide to strip GWS of their extra salary cap at the end of last year for no reason, when their extra salary cap was originally supposed to be gone by 2019. Not to mention the Riverina zone being taken off them.

Once Geelong were KO'd from the finals series last year, a Bulldogs flag was the only good outcome for the AFL.

It would give the AFL their own Leicester City type story, giving hope to other unsuccessful AFL clubs that they too would have a chance of reaching the holy grail rather than continue to make up the numbers year in, year out, as one of the historically unsuccessful clubs would break a 62 year premiership drought.

Why were the Cats $8m in debt and close to either folding or having to leave cheat park to become a tenant of the new Docklands stadium if the fans were really sticking fat with the team?

Geelong fans are the biggest bunch of frontrunners in the league along with Port fans.

AFL tampers with 'official' crowd figures all the time, but I'm sure you already know this.

Who? Sauce Jacobs?

Yes it seems so clear now.

It's why Melbourne and St Kilda have been gifted flags in recent years as well - to give hope to all and sundry.

* me.

I'm not an accountant so who the f*** knows. Pretty sure there is more to determining a club's financial position than having 900 less fans attend per game.

I go for one of the richest clubs in the nrl. Who happen to get small crowds.

Bizarre hey - maybe they're just getting huge crowds but 3/4 of them are wearing invisibility cloaks. It's obviously the only way to marry our financial status with our attendance figures as you brilliantly point out.

YUH DIN FOIL HADD XD XD
Why? Because I actually view the games objectively, note WHERE the free kicks are paid and WHERE they are not? Because I don't watch each game and think 'west coast are kicking the ball more to their goals so they are playing better'? See I've just about given up on watching AFL. The final 8 was predetermined since round 16. Yet everyone here is wetting their pants how the final 8th spot came down to an "exciting" percentage battle. I love Essendon, and sometimes can be a little too one eyed about them. But I know they are mediocre this year, didn't deserve to make it, they were gifted. Sydney are in rare form that would destroy most teams at their home ground. But it would not surprise me in the least if Essendon rolls them in the first week. In fact Essendon could go on to win the flag, and all the idiots here would be debating about le drugs, le bye before finals, le seventh place premiers again. All without realising that they got umpballed to a 17th premiership. Something ridiculous is going to happen in the finals again, watch this space.

Why? Because I actually view the games objectively, note WHERE the free kicks are paid and WHERE they are not? Because I don't watch each game and think 'west coast are kicking the ball more to their goals so they are playing better'? See I've just about given up on watching AFL. The final 8 was predetermined since round 16. Yet everyone here is wetting their pants how the final 8th spot came down to an "exciting" percentage battle. I love Essendon, and sometimes can be a little too one eyed about them. But I know they are mediocre this year, didn't deserve to make it, they were gifted. Sydney are in rare form that would destroy most teams at their home ground. But it would not surprise me in the least if Essendon rolls them in the first week. In fact Essendon could go on to win the flag, and all the idiots here would be debating about le drugs, le bye before finals, le seventh place premiers again. All without realising that they got umpballed to a 17th premiership. Something ridiculous is going to happen in the finals again, watch this space.

Someone needs a reality check.

Was yesterday's match between WCE v Adelaide scripted, oh knowledgeable one

Umps tried and failed twice to get the Bears over the line. Third time lucky next year? :drunk:
Rayner choked and missed what should have been an absolute sitter by spraying it out on the full. :drunk:

In all seriousness though, opposition teams just can't beat Geelong at Kardinia Park for the most part.

Brisbane haven't gone without a win there since 2003 because of sheer luck or coincidence.

Round 2 2021 - Geelong vs Brisbane @ Kardinia Park.
Round 3 2022 - Bulldogs vs Sydney @ Docklands.
Round 4 2022 - Geelong vs Brisbane @ Kardinia Park.

Was the bolded the game where Hipwood ran into an open goal in the 2nd quarter and missed an absolute sitter? But sure, that was scripted, just like Cameron having a shot touched by the man on the mark in the 1st quarter and Narkle kicking to a player by himself in the goal square instead of elevating his shot at goal in the third.

Was the bolded the game where Hipwood ran into an open goal in the 2nd quarter and missed an absolute sitter? But sure, that was scripted, just like Cameron having a shot touched by the man on the mark in the 1st quarter and Narkle kicking to a player by himself in the goal square instead of elevating his shot at goal in the third.
Yes, just like the absolute sitter Rayner missed tonight which I already mentioned in the post directly above yours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back