SDJFL Past greats

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah yeah....lol
Thinking back about this got me rambling in my old age and has made me want to pull the boots on again. Anyone know a good team around the WRFL before the registration window closes?

Yeah yeah....lol
Thinking back about this got me rambling in my old age and has made me want to pull the boots on again. Anyone know a good team around the WRFL before the registration window closes?

The Hammerheads go all right

Great turn of events up in Brisbane a few weeks back. I returned from a few weeks' away and arrived at a reserves game to find former Kilmore junior Geoff Still warming up to play with a club that I'm involved with up here.

Stilla has impressed, kicking 4 goals from half forward in the reserves last weekend against Palm Beach. Wouldn't mind having a few of his mates up here - Makin, Abbott, McCrae, Milburn, Fondrick etc.

Great turn of events up in Brisbane a few weeks back. I returned from a few weeks' away and arrived at a reserves game to find former Kilmore junior Geoff Still warming up to play with a club that I'm involved with up here.

Stilla has impressed, kicking 4 goals from half forward in the reserves last weekend against Palm Beach. Wouldn't mind having a few of his mates up here - Makin, Abbott, McCrae, Milburn, Fondrick etc.

Abbott, McCrae, & Fondrick never played past under 18's.
Makes, & Milburn played in Kilmores 1994 Senior premiership I think. Milburn can retire in another couple of years knowing that he at least played in one Premiership side..haha

Small world I reckon I got a photo with you two blokes in it from one of the old SDJFL games over at Kyneton about U/12s or U/14s in those poxy royal blue jumpers, with the orange and yellow bands round the guts.

Makes would just watch and drink cans these days, remember Fonz used to think he was "the man" at the underage discos with blokes like James "Wally" Wallis and Dave "Spook" Thompson in his corner, Abbott coulda been the man had he ever wished (big unit) and disappointingly I haven't seen Lethal since the day we finished year 12 in 1993.

Cam Hilton took on the coaching job at Cudgewa Krakour, which i think is in the federal league. He took me to have a look at their ground one night bout five year ago. We drove straight across the ground in his truck, shooing the cattle and kangaroos that were grazing from the four feet of grass on the oval. Easy to hide if you're a short forward pocket playing on some dopey backman from Corryong! Then we went over to the social rooms, where the door is never locked cause appartently there is no need. After looking around at all the photos, honour boards etc. I thought Id give him a scenario (remember that we had had a few ales) of the boys from Cudgey being three goals down at three quarter time of the all important 2001 grand final, and he gave me a speach that had the likes of Kanga Kennedy, Yabby Jeans, Jock Mchale, and the legendary Norm Smith looking like Euroas under 13 Coach of 1992, Ray Skinner. Old Herb really did come to the fore that night. Absolute hilarity i tell ya.
Shoulder injuries after a nasty motorbike accident, curtailed Camerons career. As well as the fact that he acts like a 65 year old man.

there hasnt been much action from a classic demon thru and thru, the shlong, ding dong and fire hose to name a few, matt hall.
ever since a debilitating kidney blow that he suffered from a clash when he backed back into a pack in the seymour reserves, has he graced the fair land of kings park.
anyone got any news of the plank from the esplinade????

A few of you might be a bit young what about Frank Pertile, Mickey Trewin Christain Brock(st marys) and schimma ? Euroa was a gun .
On that Wallan u12 thing did they play a game or did St Marys just recieve the cup ?

A few of you might be a bit young what about Frank Pertile, Mickey Trewin Christain Brock(st marys) and schimma ? Euroa was a gun .
On that Wallan u12 thing did they play a game or did St Marys just recieve the cup ?

No, Wallan fronted up and even prepared a banner and ran out onto the ground, but they didn't pay the bond or fine or whatever it was they had to pay so no game went ahead.
Funny thing about that is the fella who I'm pretty sure was the umpire at the centre of that controversy can now be heard bagging GVFL umps at Seymour games.

No, Wallan fronted up and even prepared a banner and ran out onto the ground, but they didn't pay the bond or fine or whatever it was they had to pay so no game went ahead.
Funny thing about that is the fella who I'm pretty sure was the umpire at the centre of that controversy can now be heard bagging GVFL umps at Seymour games.

Was it after this season that Wallan left the league?

Also, what was the reason Kilmore left the league?

Was it after this season that Wallan left the league?

Also, what was the reason Kilmore left the league?

Thought they were better than everyone :D

Nah I think they needed to align themselves with the senior club and the RDFL is the perfect fit for both sections of the club.

Pretty sure St.Mary's played Euroa in that game. Funny thing is, IIRC they did make a banner and run onto the ground - but they had to jump the fence from just near the scoreboard on the opposite side of the ground to the changerooms!
I believe so. Sure didn't miss that trip to Wallan to play against blokes 4 years older than me.

What, didn't you like playing on blokes with half a beard in U12's Grandale?:D

Did you also miss playing on that ground with the wind whipping down the hill making it almost impossible to kick a goal up one end?

Ahh, the memories that flood back everytime I drive past Wallan on the Hume and see that beautiful ground and black & white stripes on the clubrooms over the side of the hill!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who were the Wallan guns from your time Tusken? For me it was Hayden Langborne, Jason McGrath, Benjamin, maybe even Martin Romeril from memory was in an interleague pic somewhere, and obviously a little bustling Barry.

What, didn't you like playing on blokes with half a beard in U12's Grandale?:D

Did you also miss playing on that ground with the wind whipping down the hill making it almost impossible to kick a goal up one end?

Ahh, the memories that flood back everytime I drive past Wallan on the Hume and see that beautiful ground and black & white stripes on the clubrooms over the side of the hill!

Nah, absolutely loved it. Didn't help that we got flogged every time we went there.
I reckon the most goals we ever kicked in a game AT Wallan was 4

Who were the Wallan guns from your time Tusken? For me it was Hayden Langborne, Jason McGrath, Benjamin, maybe even Martin Romeril from memory was in an interleague pic somewhere, and obviously a little bustling Barry.

What about that little fella Barry. Can't remember his surname (it's on the tip of my tongue, though - it's not Hall) but he end up getting a game for the Hammerheads.

What about that little fella Barry. Can't remember his surname (it's on the tip of my tongue, though - it's not Hall) but he end up getting a game for the Hammerheads.

Bazza Noble, was one of the funniest pricks at school IMO. Played around a bit including the Hammerheads, Lalor I think and now pretty sure he's played a few 2's games at Craigieburn in '07 where Gav Langborne is coaching these days.

How weird is that, just when Grandy asked about Baz i saw him on tv tonight. Dunno if anyone watches the EDFL footy show on channel 31 but they did a street talk type thing at Cubbyhouse on Saturday night and Noble was the host . . . . . still find him very funny :thumbsu:

Gavin Langborne (who coached Mansfield a few years ago) was the man I think from back then for Wallan, and I'm sure I remember that little Barry character Grandale speaks of. I think they had a girl playing for them at the time who could play a bit too!

Gavin Langborne (who coached Mansfield a few years ago) was the man I think from back then for Wallan, and I'm sure I remember that little Barry character Grandale speaks of. I think they had a girl playing for them at the time who could play a bit too!

Yeah, Barry Noble. That's him.
And, yes, I do remember playing against a Wallan side that had a chick playing for them...think she might have kicked 8 against us one day.

You sound about my vintage jobbyav.
That Sainters side won the U/16's the same day Wallan U/12's were not allowed to play, just to rub some salt in the wound. The umpire was bashed after we(saints) beat them in the prelim.
It was a pretty fierce rivalry back then. 2 years before massive all in brawls broke out around Kings Park after Wallan beat probably the best "team" I ever saw in the SDJFL. That Sainter side with Mick Gardiner, Brett Hall, Andrew Rutherford and Marky Bender among others were premiers and champions in under 12's and 14's and lost their first ever game in the U/16 GF. Mick Gardiner had his jaw broken at a disco the fri b4 the GF, conspiracy theories were rife... Ahhh the memories, great thread

That Sainters side won the U/16's the same day Wallan U/12's were not allowed to play, just to rub some salt in the wound. The umpire was bashed after we(saints) beat them in the prelim.
It was a pretty fierce rivalry back then. 2 years before massive all in brawls broke out around Kings Park after Wallan beat probably the best "team" I ever saw in the SDJFL. That Sainter side with Mick Gardiner, Brett Hall, Andrew Rutherford and Marky Bender among others were premiers and champions in under 12's and 14's and lost their first ever game in the U/16 GF. Mick Gardiner had his jaw broken at a disco the fri b4 the GF, conspiracy theories were rife... Ahhh the memories, great thread
great days, great memories, tim donohue,andrew collard,craig hall, paul dawe also played, they never got beat until wallan started playing blokes with beards, mick gardiner did get his jaw broken the night before the granny, had it wired and played,great effort

Good thread guys.
Interestingly enough, l actually played for Wallan that day and the guy you speak of with the beard, Alby, played the next year as well.
Can confidently say that he had the competiton terrified during this period, especially Hally of the Saints!
Some great players played during this era and l think that we had 5 or 6 that went on to AFL clubs after that GF win, although only one played senior games, Terry Hecker. He played a few for Collingwood over a few year stint there. He also won the "Norm Smith" for Wallan in our victory, and came runner up in the league medal after only playing roughly half the season.
Interesting circumstances behind Garsh getting his jaw broken, none of which involved Wallan l might add.

I remember a guy called ALbbie from Wallan and I'm sure he drove to the games in U'16s.Anyone know what Schimma from Euroa is up to as would like to get in touch with him? Thanks Mick Trewin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back