Seamless Transition or Complete Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm interested in a more informed discussion of our list turnover over the next 4-6 years, what this means for our on-field fortunes, our off-field recruitment and the prospects of some individual players on our list.

For the purposes of stimulating discussion, I have:
  1. Started with our 'best 23' (assuming we will always have at least 1 player injured/ suspended)
  2. Made a best guess about when each of the older players may retire (based on age, form and fitness)*
  3. Considered who might be available to replace them*
  4. Made some tentative conclusions about what this might mean for our club's prospects in the coming year
I'd like to hear what you think.

*Of course, we all know there are lots of caveats and unknowns with these types of predictions, such as career ending injuries, trades in and out and rates at which players develop or age. So, I'm happy for people to have different views about our best 23, exactly how many years certain players may have left, etc. But I'm more interested in people's conclusions about the next 5 years.

So, with this in mind.....

1) My best 23 is:
B: Wright, Tarrant, Hansen
HB: Atley, Thompson, Macmillan
C: Dal Santo, Ziebell, Wells
HF: Harvey, Waite, Higgins
F: Brown, Petrie, Thomas
Foll: Goldstein, Cunnington, Swallow
I/C from: Anderson, Garner, Firrito, Gibson, Jacobs

2&3) Potential Ins and Outs over the next 6 years (age at April 2016 in brackets)

turnover.png

4) Conclusion 1: Our Prospects
2016: I believe our list will be in better shape to contend for a flag than in 2015. We add Wells and Anderson and another year of experience and conditioning to the whole list. Firrito may be the only older player struggling to hold on.
2017: Whichever year we lose Harvey I expect us to take a small step backwards. I have guessed 2017 to be the year we lose Boomer and Spud, but replace them with LMac and Dumont (or perhaps Turner or Clarke). These are good additions and I still see us as a solid top 8 team in 2017.
2018: I expect us to go backwards, with potential departures of Wells, Dal Santo, Petrie and Waite. These are very difficult players to replace. Our recently recruited key position players will still be maturing and so far we have no way of knowing what Durdin, Black, McKay or even Daw might offer us. I hope Garner, Anderson, McDonald and others are exciting us with their talent.
2019: This is the year I expect us to bottom out, with departures that could include Swallow, Thompson, Hansen and Gibson. By this stage, we may have turned over more than half our best 18 in the space of three years.
2020 and 2021: Our rise up the ladder should begin anew as we have few departures; and the Ziebell/ Cunners era players will still be at the height of their powers while our recent young draftees are coming of age. How good are they and how far will they take us? Only time will tell.

Conclusion 2: Recruitment
We have done well to build a very versatile list, with many dual position players who will help us fill gaps created by retirements over the next 3-4 years.
We need to prioritise the recruitment of 1 or 2 solid key position players. Currently, we would need all of Durdin, Nielson, McKay, plus either Black or Daw to become players (while Brown continues to develop) just to cover our departures. Most of these guys may be 5+ years away from maturing into their roles.
Conclusion 3: Individual Players
I would like to see the club being ruthless at the trade table next year if it looks like we have peaked. For example:
Thompson, Hansen and Swallow would all likely have trade value, but may not be around when north makes its next run
Wood/ Black/ Daw may all be competing for the same spot on the list

What do you think?

I rate our youth coming through, only area of concern is key forwards IMO.

I think Firrito, Petrie, Wells and Waite will retire at years end.

Then the other older guys retirements staggered over the following 2 years

I expect a top 4 finish this year and maybe even the year after and then we will probably fall to the middle of the ladder for a couple of years before challenging again

Losing Harvey, Petrie, Wells, Dal Santo and Firrito will hurt alot but before I cop any stick for leaving some youth out, I am including youth and under 25 y.o players with AFL experience that can lead us post Harvey, Petrie, Wells, Dal Santo and Firrito I honestly believe Anderson, McKenzie, Jacobs, Ziebell, Cunnington, Dumont, Mullett, Atley, Wright, McDonald, Garner, Wood, Macmillan, Black and a few others can soften the blow. If Durdin, Neilson, EVW, Hibberd, Clarke, McKay, Mountford, Fordham, Daw and Pruess can become future contributors.

I'm now thinking:
2016 - top 4
2017 - 5-8
2018 - 9-12
2019 - 10-14
2020 - Top 8

Great post, did Tas steal your log in?

BTW, if I have to wait until 2019 for the end of Gibbo, I will require professional assistance.
Time to trend #Gibson4100Games .

But I sincerely don't think he'll last that long. 2017 because we'll have found someone younger and better with the same tank.

Atley - Petrie - Thompson
Wells - Tarrant - MacMillan
Harvey - Dal Santo - Higgins
Garner - Waite - Ziebell
Turner - Brown - Cunnington
Goldstein - Swallow - Anderson
Jacobs - Thomas - McDonald - Hibberd

Dal Santo replaced by McKenzie / Clarke
Wells replaced by Declan.
Petrie replaced by Durdin
Thompson with Nielson
Waite by McKay/Hansen/Daw
Harvey by Cooper Harvey
Swallow with Dumont.

I think we will actually improve by getting rid of some of the older types and replacing them with pacy youth.

Naturally Gibson, Nahas and Firitto have been replaced already in my team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atley - Petrie - Thompson
Wells - Tarrant - MacMillan
Harvey - Dal Santo - Higgins
Garner - Waite - Ziebell
Turner - Brown - Cunnington
Goldstein - Swallow - Anderson
Jacobs - Thomas - McDonald - Hibberd

Dal Santo replaced by McKenzie / Clarke
Wells replaced by Declan.
Petrie replaced by Durdin
Thompson with Nielson
Waite by McKay/Hansen/Daw
Harvey by Cooper Harvey
Swallow with Dumont.

I think we will actually improve by getting rid of some of the older types and replacing them with pacy youth.

Naturally Gibson, Nahas and Firitto have been replaced already in my team.
I thought Boomer was still pacy youth?

(I don't actually disagree with any of this)

BTW, if I have to wait until 2019 for the end of Gibbo, I will require professional assistance.

Good point. We drafted a lot of good runners this year, so hopefully someone with better skillz can push him out sooner. If a couple of young players have a good run of form it could potentially even happen this year.

The success of the transition depends on blooding younger players in the next 1-3 years while North Melbourne are contending. This would mean making some tough calls on veterans starting this year ala Geelong with Chapman, Johnson etc.

Whilst I absolutely love this years draft, the coaching staff must enable them to succeed first by developing them and then giving them sufficient opportunities to play in a quality team. The point being that the U23's on our list shouldn't be completely green for the start of season 2018 when our team is weakened by retirees. Melbourne for example has shown that throwing raw talent with no support on the park isn't going to succeed.

The midfield with Higgins, Ziebel, Cunnigton, Swallow + rookies should be fine but I'm worried about a potential forward line of Brown, Daw/Durdin/McKay. KPBs won't be great either but North Melbourne's defence is average anyway so there shouldn't be much of a drop.

Also even if Durdin, Clarke, McKay, Hibberd etc are future stars they won't be actual stars in 2/3 years time so they aren't going to replace the likes of Harvey, Wells, Petrie and Waite initially. Therefore some sort of rebuild is inevitable.

Did you really need to tag me in to witness your cutting edge comedy gold?

Sorry mate.

Wanted your input into the subject

I don't have a crystal ball. We could go either way, like most teams really, what we are lacking is A grade elite talent, Boomer and Goldy are the only ones on our list.

I assume we will lose most, if not all, of our 30+ players in the next 2 years, the pressure falls to players largely in the 23-26 age bracket now who will be 25-28 in a couple of years.

I think we can cover most of the players we are going to lose, but the vacancies will create holes in the side/squad which will have to be filled by players who don't have much experience. It is always an unknown how that is going to happen. We had significant change after the 1996 flag but we still had numerous elite players in the side. We have too many players who have plateaued at too low a level, or have had a horrendous run with injuries or the lack of balance in the team doesn't bring the best out of their game.

We have talent in our current 23-26 age bracket but there would be question marks on pretty much all of the players, for too many we are still waiting on potential rather than performance, waiting for consistency... we are at the litmus test point in which potential ends and performance has to take over because the old timers are heading for retirement. We need the kids to grow up and be men.

We still have a fair bit of talent below age 23, but I wouldn't be expecting miracles from that group in the short-term. We have some major problems with our midfield and our backline we need to fix before we even worry about the old timers retiring, our standard at times is just way too low.

I don't have a crystal ball. We could go either way, like most teams really, what we are lacking is A grade elite talent, Boomer and Goldy are the only ones on our list.

I assume we will lose most, if not all, of our 30+ players in the next 2 years, the pressure falls to players largely in the 23-26 age bracket now who will be 25-28 in a couple of years.

I think we can cover most of the players we are going to lose, but the vacancies will create holes in the side/squad which will have to be filled by players who don't have much experience. It is always an unknown how that is going to happen. We had significant change after the 1996 flag but we still had numerous elite players in the side. We have too many players who have plateaued at too low a level, or have had a horrendous run with injuries or the lack of balance in the team doesn't bring the best out of their game.

We have talent in our current 23-26 age bracket but there would be question marks on pretty much all of the players, for too many we are still waiting on potential rather than performance, waiting for consistency... we are at the litmus test point in which potential ends and performance has to take over because the old timers are heading for retirement. We need the kids to grow up and be men.

We still have a fair bit of talent below age 23, but I wouldn't be expecting miracles from that group in the short-term. We have some major problems with our midfield and our backline we need to fix before we even worry about the old timers retiring, our standard at times is just way too low.

So you don't consider Cunners or Higgo a graders? if they were playing for Richmond they would get twenty times the smoke blown up their asses.

Having had a think about this it is probably neither.

I don't think any team ever tranisitions seemlessly so that kinda rules that one out for me.

A full rebuild indicates that we have nothing coming through to cover the losses we will incur with some retirements. I don't believe that is accurate either.

It is probably somewhere in the middle, which is what I expect us to do, wind up in the middle for a couple of years.

I see 2016 as us needing to take a huge shot at the flag, for me it is now or never for some of our blokes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back