Recommitted Sean Darcy [signed til 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Could see Freo moving him on. Jackson can hold down the number one ruck spot, he will be the best ruck in the game soon enough.

That would be 4 or 5 first round picks next year to attack the rebuild head on, North style.

Could see Freo moving him on. Jackson can hold down the number one ruck spot, he will be the best ruck in the game soon enough.

That would be 4 or 5 first round picks next year to attack the rebuild head on, North style.
Freo’s rebuild started in 2016 with Logue, Darcy, Cox and Ryan being drafted, so I’d be pretty disappointed if they saw 2024 that way.

Freo’s rebuild started in 2016 with Logue, Darcy, Cox and Ryan being drafted, so I’d be pretty disappointed if they saw 2024 that way.
After last years failed year if there is another in 2024 it would show the rebuild failed and another one due

That’s where losing Darcy could be mutually beneficial

After last years failed year if there is another in 2024 it would show the rebuild failed and another one due

People place to much emphasis on time and length of years for 'rebuilds'

It's not as simple or linear as picking up talent in early first and second rounds of the draft for a few years and bang, rebuild done.

Player development and retention is also crucial

Freo have lost too many quality players in the last couple of years, losing Darcy would be a massive PR disaster for the club that no amount of early picks would solve.

Darcy is one of the most physically imposing and durable ruckman in the league.

Freo won't let him go for love nor money.

I believe Darcy is our most important player for 2024.
There’s some good energy because of preseason has started but a few more injuries and the doomsayers coming out the wood work and they will trumpet his signing to boost morale.

Anyone that believes we should ship him off has no idea about the anchors and is dribbling s**t.
Kane Cornes gets paid to dribble s**t what’s your excuse???

Freo are rebuilding? Again?

They are looking for the last one or two key players they need to contend.

People place to much emphasis on time and length of years for 'rebuilds'

It's not as simple or linear as picking up talent in early first and second rounds of the draft for a few years and bang, rebuild done.

Player development and retention is also crucial

Freo have lost too many quality players in the last couple of years, losing Darcy would be a massive PR disaster for the club that no amount of early picks would solve.

Darcy is one of the most physically imposing and durable ruckman in the league.

Freo won't let him go for love nor money.

Darcy is a big lump of a lad for sure. He is actually carrying too much and hence why he isnt that durable and suffers ankle and leg injuries most seasons. Sure not many rucks go through a season without picking up something but Darcy doesnt look as fit as many other rucks and it does affect his durability.

I'm not sure what your definition of rebuild is but there is no way we need to start again. There is enough young talent on the list to win a final already and the core group they really want to keep is all locked away for like 4+ years (except for Darcy with 1 year and Brayshaw with 2).

The list needs time, probably one more genuine A-grader and a role player or two (very easy to find) and depending how this year goes, possibly a change in coaching approach but we definitely dont need to rebuild

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what your definition of rebuild is but there is no way we need to start again. There is enough young talent on the list to win a final already and the core group they really want to keep is all locked away for like 4+ years (except for Darcy with 1 year and Brayshaw with 2).

The list needs time, probably one more genuine A-grader and a role player or two (very easy to find) and depending how this year goes, possibly a change in coaching approach but we definitely dont need to rebuild

I agree. It has all the hallmarks of a new coach at the end of the season, three first round picks at the draft or one player traded in - none of the draftees play but team wins 75% of games for the first half of the year so the celebrations of the media screaming "fastest rebuild ever, Dani Laidley is a genius" etc etc

I agree. It has all the hallmarks of a new coach at the end of the season, three first round picks at the draft or one player traded in - none of the draftees play but team wins 75% of games for the first half of the year so the celebrations of the media screaming "fastest rebuild ever, Dani Laidley is a genius" etc etc
i see what you did there cas GIF

Very good player but would be weird if Freo keep him and continue to invest 1.5m (Conservative guess) in their ruck division. They’ve gone chips in on Jackson which is fine as he is a generational player, but could upgrade other areas if they let Darcy go.

Very good player but would be weird if Freo keep him and continue to invest 1.5m (Conservative guess) in their ruck division. They’ve gone chips in on Jackson which is fine as he is a generational player, but could upgrade other areas if they let Darcy go.
I've always admittedly been kind of comfortable either way from a talent perspective. I think Jackson could be very good as a pure ruck but I also like him just playing everywhere on the ground. I think there's definitely an argument spending the capital elsewhere would be better for list balance but I can see both approaches working.

My biggest concern with losing him (since we seem to really want to keep him) is that I just dont know what we are doing wrong in keeping talent. We'll just never compete if we cant keep players and Darcy seems to have invested in the club and WA (self pro-claimed King of Perth) since day 1 so if we cant keep him, who can we keep.

I've always admittedly been kind of comfortable either way from a talent perspective. I think Jackson could be very good as a pure ruck but I also like him just playing everywhere on the ground. I think there's definitely an argument spending the capital elsewhere would be better for list balance but I can see both approaches working.

My biggest concern with losing him (since we seem to really want to keep him) is that I just dont know what we are doing wrong in keeping talent. We'll just never compete if we cant keep players and Darcy seems to have invested in the club and WA (self pro-claimed King of Perth) since day 1 so if we cant keep him, who can we keep.

Melbourne 🤝 Freo

Losing required players

If Darcy stays on the park him and Jackson could kick 50 goals between them.
Jackson was solo ruck for 8 games and still averaged a goal a game.
Winning the midfield is a big part of the game now darcy is a bloody good ruckman at his best
Jackson’s only 22 I still have hope he will be a 30+ goalkicker

If Darcy stays on the park him and Jackson could kick 50 goals between them.
Jackson was solo ruck for 8 games and still averaged a goal a game.
Winning the midfield is a big part of the game now darcy is a bloody good ruckman at his best

Darcy has kicked over 0.5 goals a game one season in his whole career. 40 would be the absolute max you’d get with Jackson kicking the majority.

I expect Jackson to be Fremantle's best clearance player the same year he is a brownlow medalist, he'll be named in the ruck in AA team but will be the third choice to go up for the tap at Freo. Jackson's stats for possessions, clearances, score involvements will be elite for a ruckman but he will barely play there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back