Rumour Sean Darcy to the Cats.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Both Darcy and Goldstein have now been confirmed (on BigFooty...) today to be coming to Geelong next year.
What's wrong with that?

Zac Smith is overrated and really soft – no passion or mongrel out there – and I think he's keen to leave?

They're clearly thinking of flags. Goldy comes in for two seasons and tries getting them there. Sean Darcy is one of my favourite Freo players and I'd hate to see him go, especially now Lyon's gone, but he'll develop really really well under an actual good ruckman. Goldy is good around the ground, has some smarts outside of a tap, whereas Sandilands was a plain dumb footballer. Perfect plan.

I would have liked to have gotten Paddy Ryder at Freo for the same reason.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
What's wrong with that?

Zac Smith is overrated and really soft – no passion or mongrel out there – and I think he's keen to leave?

They're clearly thinking of flags. Goldy comes in for two seasons and tries getting them there. Sean Darcy is one of my favourite Freo players and I'd hate to see him go, especially now Lyon's gone, but he'll develop really really well under an actual good ruckman. Goldy is good around the ground, has some smarts outside of a tap, whereas Sandilands was a plain dumb footballer. Perfect plan.

I would have liked to have gotten Paddy Ryder at Freo for the same reason.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, I'm very keen for a clean out of our ruck stocks. I'm just skeptical that both Goldstein and Darcy are confirmed to be coming.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Got no inside info apart form listening to talk back here in WA but my gut feel, and it has been for a while now, is that Darcy will be part of the Kelly return to WA trade.

Still contracted but if it means the Dockers can obtain Kelly with some picks being exchanged than why not.

I'm no rushing Darcy out of Freo as an Eagles fan either, I love what he does and think if he can get that endurance base up he has all the traits to be terrific ruckman for Fremantle and Sandilands protege.

Being a former Geelong Falcons player and with Geelong's lack of key rucks it would just make sense but.

Interested to see how it plays out.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
People will say I'm an idiot but I would honestly keep Sean Darcy instead of getting Tim Kelly.

Sean Darcy, Lachie Neale, Bradley Hill, Stephen Hill, Ed Langdon all leaving within 12 months is a bit of a hit. There's a wide spread of ages and playing types in there and all of them are best 22 – two are best-and-fairest winners.

Hogan, McCarthy have been blockbuster trades and there's no guarantees. Bringing in big trades doesn't always result in a team of champions either. Sometimes the lack of synergy and naturality to the process actual hurts.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
Got no inside info apart form listening to talk back here in WA but my gut feel, and it has been for a while now, is that Darcy will be part of the Kelly return to WA trade.

Still contracted but if it means the Dockers can obtain Kelly with some picks being exchanged than why not.

I'm no rushing Darcy out of Freo as an Eagles fan either, I love what he does and think if he can get that endurance base up he has all the traits to be terrific ruckman for Fremantle and Sandilands protege.

Being a former Geelong Falcons player and with Geelong's lack of key rucks it would just make sense but.

Interested to see how it plays out.

With that scenario, Freo could lose Darcy to gain Kelly.

Who is then going to tap the ball to Kelly, without Darcy being there ?.

Darcy is very important to Freo, they need his ruck skills.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
With that scenario, Freo could lose Darcy to gain Kelly.

Who is then going to tap the ball to Kelly, without Darcy being there ?.

Darcy is very important to Freo, they need his ruck skills.

Lobb for starters.

Can see the Dockers going after Jeremy Goddard IF they were to lose Darcy.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The other thing is, it’s rumoured that Tim Kelly’s girlfriend doesn’t like one of the Hills or something. Not sure I want a bloke who doesn’t want to come because they’re here, then will come because they aren’t.

Sean Darcy for Tim Kelly sounds amazing in isolation but it’s not isolated.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

dumdum

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
i reckon Tim Kelly would be stupid to go to Freo, its a Distacefull club IMO , you'd wanna go to WCE , is Sean Darcy a better Ruckman than what Geelong already have? i dont think so as i think Darcy has had an average year Ruck Wise an i dunno if he's any good up forward either

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
i reckon Tim Kelly would be stupid to go to Freo, its a Distacefull club IMO , you'd wanna go to WCE , is Sean Darcy a better Ruckman than what Geelong already have? i dont think so as i think Darcy has had an average year Ruck Wise an i dunno if he's any good up forward either
In the words of Chris Scott 'we have five fit ruckmen available for selection', just never mind the fact they're all playing VFL and our AA caliber key defender is filling in at the moment. :straining:

Apr 14, 2018
Just up the street
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC
Don’t watch much footy hey.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Honestly don't think that's as good for Freo long-term (as simply keeping Darcy would be).
Kelly isn't going home for nothing. It sucks for Geelong because they'll have to accept unders.

It's in Freo's best interests to keep Darcy and trade in Kelly, and although they're not mutually exclusive, that might be the price they need to pay to get the deal done. If they don't want him at a fair price, they shouldn't table an offer (contract to Kelly, or trade proposition to the cats).

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Kelly isn't going home for nothing. It sucks for Geelong because they'll have to accept unders.

It's in Freo's best interests to keep Darcy and trade in Kelly, and although they're not mutually exclusive, that might be the price they need to pay to get the deal done. If they don't want him at a fair price, they shouldn't table an offer (contract to Kelly, or trade proposition to the cats).

They should go after Kelly, I just don't think Darcy is the currency to use for it. It'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul in terms of team and list balance.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They should go after Kelly, I just don't think Darcy is the currency to use for it. It'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul in terms of team and list balance.
You can't get if you won't give. Like when Carlton got Judd and had no key forward for 10 years.

Freo are going to have to come to the table with something resembling two 1st round picks, one that's at least top 10, or players in those respective brackets to get a deal done.

Back