Rumour Sean Darcy to the Cats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats should make a pinch hit at Matt Eagles throw him in the ruck he can play defence the poor kids stuck in the local league letting all the tallent slip away

So the premise of this thread for some posters is that an uncontracted Kelly should be forced to go to Freo to help contracted Darcy get to his CHOSEN club of destination?

In 4 pages so far noone has picked up on the hypocrisy or irony of this ridiculous suggestion -haha what a complete lack of self awareness, especially after some Geelong posters fought tooth and nail last season that players shouldn't be allowed to nominate the club they want to go to and that they should reward the faith placed in them by the drafting club (CoS nOoNe ELse WOld hAVe dRAteD thEM bUT Us!!).

What a crackup.

Won’t happen. Listen to the parts where he talks about how much he likes living in WA and how he is up for the challenge without Sandi.

Contracted until 2022. Geelong had the chance to get him in 2016 but chose not to. He was taken at pick 38 in the 2016 afl draft.

More the fact that delisting Scott Jones puts us down one in the ruck department and further heightens the chance of Darcy staying. Still not impossible but I'd say highly unlikely now.
I am a bit Suprised we got rid of Scott Jones last season. He wasnt the worse Ruckman we had. He had a couple of good games last season. I wished we kept him for 2020.

its to the point everyone needs at least 3 Rucks on there list, anymore an its an overkill
Hmmm you have a point. I remember during the Ross Lyon Finals period of 2012-15, Freo had, Aaron Sandilands, Zac Clarke, Jonathan Griffin and Jack Hannath.

What sucked was Both Griffin and Sandi were both 30 or over in 2016 and Zac Clarke was injury prone.

Would love to Have another 23-26 year old Jonathan Griffin as a 2nd ruck. Wasnt the best ruck in the comp, but he tried his guts out. Sure he would average around 20-25 ruck hitouts a game. No shame for him to lose to a Max Gawn or Paddy Ryder Type in the ruck hitouts 40-20. At least he was better than nothing.

It's just wishful thinking from our supporters, he is a great prospect.
Some Rucks take 3-5 years to develop. He had a couple of stand out games in 2017. His debut game in round 14 vs the cats in Geelong was good. He did well vs North and beat Todd Goldstein 34 ruck hit outs to 31.

Again, he was taken at pick 38 in the 2016 draft.

Geelong potientally could of got him with pick 26 but chose Brendan Parfitt.

Theres always a fair bit of Geelong under 18s players that get picked up each year. Some stand out and do well. Some dont stand out and struggle at 1st and become decent AFL players.

Some Rucks take 3-5 years to develop. He had a couple of stand out games in 2017. His debut game in round 14 vs the cats in Geelong was good. He did well vs North and beat Todd Goldstein 34 ruck hit outs to 31.

Again, he was taken at pick 38 in the 2016 draft.

Geelong potientally could of got him with pick 26 but chose Brendan Parfitt.

Theres always a fair bit of Geelong under 18s players that get picked up each year. Some stand out and do well. Some dont stand out and struggle at 1st and become decent AFL players.

Yes the region produces a lot of football players, wish we had a zone. We have not done well with drafting rucks, the only decent one we drafted we lost to Sydney (Mumford).

Yes the region produces a lot of football players, wish we had a zone. We have not done well with drafting rucks, the only decent one we drafted we lost to Sydney (Mumford).
Thats the strange thing that Geelong never picked up a decent ruck in their geelong ranks post 2011.

Brad Ottens was your teams main ruckman in the 2007, 2009 and 2011 flag sides.

Mark Blake was the back up ruck in 2009 and Trent west was the back up ruck in 2011.

Half the time its better to use a 3rd rounder on a Ruck/Forward than an actual ruckman.

It feels like a tim Kelly thing where Geelong got him with pick 24 in 2017. Tim Kelly played for South Freo from 2013-17. Freo and West coast could of got him in the 2015 or 2016 AFL draft. But he didnt stand out.

In 2015 and 2016 he averaged around 20 disposals a game. In 2017, he stood out kicking 20-25 goals and averaged around 28 disposals a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats the strange thing that Geelong never picked up a decent ruck in their geelong ranks post 2011.

Brad Ottens was your teams main ruckman in the 2007, 2009 and 2011 flag sides.

Mark Blake was the back up ruck in 2009 and Trent west was the back up ruck in 2011.

Half the time its better to use a 3rd rounder on a Ruck/Forward than an actual ruckman.

It feels like a tim Kelly thing where Geelong got him with pick 24 in 2017. Tim Kelly played for South Freo from 2013-17. Freo and West coast could of got him in the 2015 or 2016 AFL draft. But he didnt stand out.

In 2015 and 2016 he averaged around 20 disposals a game. In 2017, he stood out kicking 20-25 goals and averaged around 28 disposals a game.

And Ottens we traded for, Mark Blake was a father son pick. West we actually drafted.

And Ottens we traded for, Mark Blake was a father son pick. West we actually drafted.
Pick #12 and #16 for Ottens was pretty big at the time too.

Steven King was a handy ruckman drafted. Interestingly I heard that Blake was going to look elsewhere if he didn't get a go at senior level and King was the guy who was pushed out. Gardiner and King for pick #90

Steven King was a handy ruckman drafted. Interestingly I heard that Blake was going to look elsewhere if he didn't get a go at senior level and King was the guy who was pushed out. Gardiner and King for pick #90

Yes King we drafted and he was excellent but he was drafted when Freo came into the comp. He was a 16 year old compensation pick and would have gone very high in an open draft.

Ottens ironically was meant be our key forward saviour until we realised we had an average KPF who was a gun ruck.

I'm pretty sure Mumford got pushed out for Blake. We had zero room in the cap and Blake had one more year to run on his contract.

Yes King we drafted and he was excellent but he was drafted when Freo came into the comp. He was a 16 year old compensation pick and would have gone very high in an open draft.

Ottens ironically was meant be our key forward saviour until we realised we had an average KPF who was a gun ruck.
#2 draft pick key forward wasn't he?

I'm pretty sure Mumford got pushed out for Blake. We had zero room in the cap and Blake had one more year to run on his contract.
From what I understand, his dad was on the phone to the club saying that if he didn't get to play seniors he would be exploring options.

[QUOTE="Taylor, post: 65318160, member: 82330"#2 draft pick key forward wasn't he?

[/QUOTE]

Yes I think so, and he was a good KPF as a young player but then as he got older he got better and better at rucking and less at being a forward.

#2 draft pick key forward wasn't he?

From what I understand, his dad was on the phone to the club saying that if he didn't get to play seniors he would be exploring options.

They cracked the shits after Mark was overlooked for the 2007 gf and preference given to Steven King. They rewarded Blake with a 2 year contract, unfortunately Mumford then came on, King had already been shipped off to St Kilda. They couldn't get rid of Blake because he was under contract so they couldn't offer Mumford anything, iirc, he was a rookie so Sydney swooped in and grabbed him.

Blake got to 99 games and was given the ass. If they liked him or wanted him you'd think they'd have at least got him to 100 games for potential f/s down the track.

They cracked the shits after Mark was overlooked for the 2007 gf and preference given to Steven King. They rewarded Blake with a 2 year contract, unfortunately Mumford then came on, King had already been shipped off to St Kilda. They couldn't get rid of Blake because he was under contract so they couldn't offer Mumford anything, iirc, he was a rookie so Sydney swooped in and grabbed him.

Blake got to 99 games and was given the ass. If they liked him or wanted him you'd think they'd have at least got him to 100 games for potential f/s down the track.

Shortly after Blake made senior the league shifted from two genuine ruckmen into a third tall forward with a brief stint in the ruck and one genuine ruck and I never particularly thought of Blake as offering much forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back