Retired Sean Dempster

Remove this Banner Ad

nsb-poster.jpg

Touché
I also edited my post again so you went with the ninja reply. :p

I hope they keep Fisher around for another year, I don't think Gwilt offers so much anymore so I'm not really fussed what happens with him.

I'm leaning towards the club keeping Gwilt and Fisher going

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Dempster:

Ranked 1 in the comp or intercept marks and 3rd for intercept possessions.

Rated elite (top 10% of defender) for rebound 50's and spoils per game.

Is more of an intercept defender than a lock down player - Rated 1 in the AFL for disposals won in the defensive 50 but rated poor for a general defender at applying pressure and tackles.

Strugles in te 1v1 contests, losing 37% of them - the 3rd worst % of the 43 defenders involved in atleast 40 contests in the H&A rounds.

We all know how fantastic he was in 2013, AA if I remember correctly. I thought he was slightly down last year, as most were but my god he has been sensational for the first 6 weeks this season.

IMO he'd be 2nd to only Armitage in our B&F and deservingly so. As a young team that often loses control of the game and our defence gets bombarded - it's amazing how many contests he not only halfs, but also wins.

He saves multiple goals a game.

Some of his stats this year;

Rd 6 he had 7 R50's and 5 1%. Rd 5 where he did everything humanely possible to get us over the line he had 8 R50, 8 tackles and 11 1%.

He had 4/3 against Carlton and similar numbers in round 1 and 2.

Not only has his defensive work been exceptional, he's also having a career season when it comes to finding the footy as well, averaging above 18 a game.

Sean is an incredibly smart footballer, he reads the play very well - as shown by the amount of intercept marks he takes and not only this he is also very versatile. Only players that really get a hold of him are the monster full forwards.m

He's getting on in age Sean, 32 this year, but he's playing like he has at least a few years left in him. I mentioned in another thread that he's one that we need to look at his position as one that we should draft for next year.m

Should knock up his 200 games this year, injury aside, he's currently on 188.

I know it's a long post, but I've just been so impressed by Sean so far this year. Like the rest of you im incredibly excited by the young talent coming through the ranks however there's no way we would've looked as promising as we have (at times) with Dempster.

(hopefully no jinx for today's game, where he'll likely stand a Danger when resting forward)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I see fish taking seans roll and hughy coming in to play fushs

I couldn't agree with you more. He is just so good at reading the play and getting over to help his team mates in the air. I definitely think he should play next year and he is a massive chance to win the bnf.

We all know how fantastic he was in 2013, AA if I remember correctly. I thought he was slightly down last year, as most were but my god he has been sensational for the first 6 weeks this season.

He was AA in 2012.

2013 was the hapless year when almost all our KPDs got injured and we had guys like Jackson Ferguson and Stanley playing back.
2014 was last year and things still weren't great as Delaney helped but Fisher still on his way back, Gwilt having to play tall. Midfield getting swamped too so a lot of ball coming in.

Agree this year he has been better, but I feel that's because our overall structure and defensive structure has been better. This allows Dempster to have the confidence to play loose a bit more, as he's not on the 2nd tall as he had been at times in the last 2 seasons.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t-of-the-shadows/story-fni5f9q3-1227385021084

“I don’t do a lot of media, I’m not out in the limelight all the time, I can walk down the street and people won’t know who I am.”

“The club ask me to do a lot of stuff and I feel bad sometimes because I’m continually saying no to them.

“That’s me. It’s who I am. No one’s going to know who I am in 10 years’ time and I’m fine with that.”

“I never really felt comfortably within my own skin as calling myself a footballer, so it wasn’t until the 2011 season I felt like I’d finally cemented a spot.

“This was nine years into my career, so it took a while for me to feel comfortable.”

Fortunately for him, Scott Watters had replaced Ross Lyon as coach and wanted to flesh out Dempster’s offensive game.

The biomedicine student inherited his dad’s love of sci-fi and is renowned as the smartest Saint.

"I’m a massive Game of Thrones fan, I’ve read the books and am now watching the TV series."

“I grew up with Star Trek and Star Wars and stuff like that. I’m definitely not a footy head, I try to watch and read as little as possible.”

“I definitely think about (going out on top). I’d love to have a crack at it again,” he said.

“I definitely think about finals. Whether it happens this year or next year, who knows?”

Dempster says the heartbreak of losing three Grand Finals in two years contributed to the Saints’ sudden demise in 2011.

“I think for some players it definitely was (a burden)."

“There’s definitely skeletons in the closet with that one.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A *very* underrated player!
Confirmed.

SEAN DEMPSTER
Season so far:
Was critical against Collingwood. Dempster's intercept marking in the second half halted any hope of a Magpies win. He kept Western Bulldog Jake Stringer to two goals, certainly not an easy feat.
Why you probably don't rate him: His quiet nature means he is not one to put himself in the spotlight. The Saints finished fourth-last for points against in 2015, casting their back six in an unflattering light.
Why you should: All Australian selection in 2012 and finishing third in four of the past five best and fairests is an excellent achievement. Has long been a defender who can be relied on to beat his opponent most weeks. - Dinny Navaratnam

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-13/mr-underrated-who-deserves-more-credit

Last edited:
Confirmed.

SEAN DEMPSTER
Season so far:
Was critical against Collingwood. Dempster's intercept marking in the second half halted any hope of a Magpies win. He kept Western Bulldog Jake Stringer to two goals, certainly not an easy feat.
Why you probably don't rate him: His quiet nature means he is not one to put himself in the spotlight. The Saints finished fourth-last for points against in 2015, casting their back six in an unflattering light.
Why you should: All Australian selection in 2012 and finishing third in four of the past five best and fairests is an excellent achievement. Has long been a defender who can be relied on to beat his opponent most weeks. - Dinny Navaratnam

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-13/mr-underrated-who-deserves-more-credit

Hope he's got a few years left in him. Will be integral to helping the transition to a Carlisle, Goddard, Webster, Roberton, Savage backline.

I download the games and then edit them on Windows Movie Maker :)

Doing a good job , I've probably got six months to practice getting it right , actually longer than that unless Sandy will be on tv , lol .

Sent via HAL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back