Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/news/general/fevs-a-saint-at-heart/2538145.aspx

While the deal raised plenty of eyebrows, Fevola was comfortable with the unusual arrangement.

“If it’s going to help a country club out then why not?” Fevola said.

“It’s really hard for local clubs to make a quid these days.

“They came to me and I was more than happy to help them out, I loved it there.”

Myrtleford, which revealed in 2008 it had an $80,000 debt, took in more than $50,000 from Saturday’s match.

Just interested in people's thoughts on how many people Myrtleford would've got to the game if Fevola wasn't playing? It was the only O&M game for the weekend and with Yarra's following, would've a crowd of 1500 been around the mark?

Reported in Melbourne papers via Myrtleford president that 11K on the gate was made. Fev's 5K easily covered and obviously all the benefits post that.

Myrtleford at least know that massive planning into how to stop him is the key and now get time to change and put other plans in place:thumbsu: My opinion is a good result (except points) and good on them for taking a risk that may have paid of with some financial advantages.

I think on the whole that the move to recruit Fev will turn out to be a great move for the whole league. You do raise a valid point TTR, will clubs now have a rethink of the whole situation regarding Fev and his away game against their club with yarra ?
They may say "well it's costing us 5 grand but competitor clubs are making that back in spades AND we get to have a look at them full strength and possibly devise a way to beat them with Fev...we may not beat them during the home & away but we will be that much more prepared come the crunch time in September ?"
It's a very interesting thought and I dare say that some knockers in official positions at club land may be sitting back and admitting that they have looked at the situation in the wrong light.
Be interested to hear what others think about their club paying Fev to play against them with the idea of 'short term pain for long term gain' ?
And for what it's worth I reckon over the course of the season at least one club will foot Fev's bill and still knock Yarra off...just not sure which one yet :thumbsu:

Just interested in people's thoughts on how many people Myrtleford would've got to the game if Fevola wasn't playing? It was the only O&M game for the weekend and with Yarra's following, would've a crowd of 1500 been around the mark?
Much less than that. IMO around 600-700 without Fev playing

I think on the whole that the move to recruit Fev will turn out to be a great move for the whole league. You do raise a valid point TTR, will clubs now have a rethink of the whole situation regarding Fev and his away game against their club with yarra ?
They may say "well it's costing us 5 grand but competitor clubs are making that back in spades AND we get to have a look at them full strength and possibly devise a way to beat them with Fev...we may not beat them during the home & away but we will be that much more prepared come the crunch time in September ?"
It's a very interesting thought and I dare say that some knockers in official positions at club land may be sitting back and admitting that they have looked at the situation in the wrong light.
Be interested to hear what others think about their club paying Fev to play against them with the idea of 'short term pain for long term gain' ?
And for what it's worth I reckon over the course of the season at least one club will foot Fev's bill and still knock Yarra off...just not sure which one yet :thumbsu:

I think I have said this before but I think this has the potential to cause problems down the track. I can see other ex afl players using this Fev arrangment as a way of making demands for huge payments and attempt to make similar arrangments from opposition clubs.

By the way i think that it is great lateral thinking by Myrtleford in order to help their situation. I just hope it doesn't flow on and become the expectation for other player.

Not sure if that made sense at all:D

Big Tex,
totally agree with you. Imo, the recruitment of Fev has been a mastermind by the Yarrawonga heirachy.Yes there was a high risk element there, but so far the Fev has more then fullfilled his obligations and not only on the field , but off the field.
He is a human headline for the media,and has been for 8 years, thus still creates interest amongst all aussie rules comps across australia whom are intrigued to hear about his performances with Yarra.And that is not just about on the field stuff..... its about the fact he has the power to draw spectators from far and awide that will come and watch him play.
By attracting big crowds, the revenue he generates thru gatetakings and catering facilities is now a goldmine for Yarra. And for Myrtleford last weekend.From reports, Myrtleford generated a $50000 gross income for the weekends game.Now, thats unreal. How could they generate that sort of income in one home game otherwise.... no way.
Fev has been a revelation to the league , which in truth has been a fairly stagnant competition over the past few years( ie growing in standard.)

In reference to other ex afl players maybe wanting to do the same and even have an opposing club pay the match payment, I dont think this would occur as there are no human headlines out there like the Fev.
Fevs been great so far for all aspects of the league.....lets appreciate it while we got it.

The most glaringly obvious reason why Fev pulls such a crowd is because he delivers.. Up here in Darwin he kicked at least 7 goals in every match he played. As with other 'big' names who have tried to make money from country footy, their candle faded because they didn't have much impact on-field. Look at Aker, similar eccentric, polarising character, who arguably has a better record than fev, but when he played country footy he hardly got a kick, so clubs weren't interested in forking out $$.

I think part of the appeal is that fev obviously doesn't train, is overweight yet can still kick 12 in a very good standard league.. He could literally win Yarra a flag off his own boot.

He's arguably still in the top 5 biggest AFL drawcards and hasn't played AFL for 2 years..

The most glaringly obvious reason why Fev pulls such a crowd is because he delivers.. Up here in Darwin he kicked at least 7 goals in every match he played. As with other 'big' names who have tried to make money from country footy, their candle faded because they didn't have much impact on-field. Look at Aker, similar eccentric, polarising character, who arguably has a better record than fev, but when he played country footy he hardly got a kick, so clubs weren't interested in forking out $$.

I think part of the appeal is that fev obviously doesn't train, is overweight yet can still kick 12 in a very good standard league.. He could literally win Yarra a flag off his own boot.

He's arguably still in the top 5 biggest AFL drawcards and hasn't played AFL for 2 years..
aker is playing next saturday night for murray magpies vs lockhart at lavington panthers oval,so if he can pull a reasonable crowd being in albury at night at a large venue.

T.Perry,
good comments. There are plenty of Fev Knockers around, but you must admit he has so far silenced these knockers.i for one was doubtful he would committ to Yarra.but he has... well so far.
The main thing, his presence has done, is put the league into the spotlight with an influence on the general public and media that has not been seen before in this league.
As I said in my prior forum, lets enjoy watching the guys footballing ability when he plays as the league wont see this sort of scenario for many years to come.

T.Perry,
are you Travis Perry.And if so are you playing for the Thunder or on there list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

aker is playing next saturday night for murray magpies vs lockhart at lavington panthers oval,so if he can pull a reasonable crowd being in albury at night at a large venue.

That will make one too many clowns in that circus.

Begs the question how many people would go and watch Fev play in Albury-Wodonga?
Who will be the first club to follow the Saints lead?
Can't be Wodonga Raiders of course.

T.Perry,
are you Travis Perry.And if so are you playing for the Thunder or on there list.

Yeh, Tavis Perry.. Played for yarra the first half of 09 before I moved to the NT for work. Played the last couple fo games for thunder and made the side again this week to play gold coast.

In regards to fev, it's just great for country football in general, but the O&M specifically. I knew he would make an impact because I saw first hand how he played up here in the summer; waratahs lost the elimination final by 90 points yet fev still kicked 9 goals and was triple teamed! Not much difference between the footy up here and in the O&M, in my opinion.

Old mate Jeremy o'brien has been playing good footy for aspley, too..

Was at the NASC on Saturday night after they played Lavington, Alot of North Supporters not happy with Bob Craig saying he does'nt seem Interested, he was first to leave the club after awards, as pointed out to me. Will he coach next year if this is the case?

Was at the NASC on Saturday night after they played Lavington, Alot of North Supporters not happy with Bob Craig saying he does'nt seem Interested, he was first to leave the club after awards, as pointed out to me. Will he coach next year if this is the case?

Fair go Whack,the blokes 80;most pensioners need to be in bed by 8pm:D:D Be interesting if he lasts this year let alone next

I know it had been talked about to death on this forum before but I'm a little confused about what rovers are trying to do with the fev game!!!

I thought the whole thing was that fev can't play on Sundays because of dancing with the stars? Or will it be over by then?

I know it had been talked about to death on this forum before but I'm a little confused about what rovers are trying to do with the fev game!!!

I thought the whole thing was that fev can't play on Sundays because of dancing with the stars? Or will it be over by then?

Rumours im hearing the rovers are trying to shift the game to the Sunday to accommodate there own high profile recruit, who has media commitments on the Saturday .... Would be some spectical to see fevola up one end and Barry hall at the other !!!!

Rumours im hearing the rovers are trying to shift the game to the Sunday to accommodate there own high profile recruit, who has media commitments on the Saturday .... Would be some spectical to see fevola up one end and Barry hall at the other !!!!

How are Rovers all of a sudden flush with cash ? Do they have a big sponsor of the Joss, Tripp or Lewis variety that no one is aware of ?
Were within an hour of signing Fev for his enormous appearance fee and now have picked up someone of immense quality judging by reports.
They havent had a lot of exposure over the last fews years with 4 or 5 other clubs landing some big fish. Were never celler dwellers in that time though by any stretch. Interesting timing of spashing some cash, dont think anyone considers them a serious flag contender this year do they ? Or is this a new era in country footy where clubs are recruiting "commercial" recruits in an attempt to improve the bottom line ?

And for what its worth I will have a stab at saying its Cam Mooney rather than Barry Hall :thumbsu:

How are Rovers all of a sudden flush with cash ? Do they have a big sponsor of the Joss, Tripp or Lewis variety that no one is aware of ?
Were within an hour of signing Fev for his enormous appearance fee and now have picked up someone of immense quality judging by reports.
They havent had a lot of exposure over the last fews years with 4 or 5 other clubs landing some big fish. Were never celler dwellers in that time though by any stretch. Interesting timing of spashing some cash, dont think anyone considers them a serious flag contender this year do they ? Or is this a new era in country footy where clubs are recruiting "commercial" recruits in an attempt to improve the bottom line ?

And for what its worth I will have a stab at saying its Cam Mooney rather than Barry Hall :thumbsu:

Its barry hall he has signed at rovers confirmed

I heard tonight too that Rovers signed Barry Hall...Well done Rovers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back