GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Barwon will decide on Feburary 10th how the new 3 tier system will operate in 2017 (see website). Regardless of what various teams want, that's what they are going to do. What will the new leagues be called? They would have to be GFL Div 1, GFL Div 2, and GFL Div 3 I think. There can no longer be a GDFL or a BFL, because some teams in those current leagues will move. If, for example, Ocean Grove, Barwon Heads, Queenscliff, Anglesea and Portarlington leave their current league they are no longer playing in the Bellarine area anymore. A Portarlington vs Anakie game, for example can't be called a BFL game.
So there going to bring in relegation, this League is a joke. They are a law to themselves, bring in the Points System agree but 10 points lower than EDFL and Northern and other metro comps doesn't make sense, let's see them drop there ranking now ? The Salary is spot on

AFL Barwon will decide on Feburary 10th how the new 3 tier system will operate in 2017 (see website). Regardless of what various teams want, that's what they are going to do. What will the new leagues be called? They would have to be GFL Div 1, GFL Div 2, and GFL Div 3 I think. There can no longer be a GDFL or a BFL, because some teams in those current leagues will move. If, for example, Ocean Grove, Barwon Heads, Queenscliff, Anglesea and Portarlington leave their current league they are no longer playing in the Bellarine area anymore. A Portarlington vs Anakie game, for example can't be called a BFL game.

What do you currently call a BFL game involving Geelong Amateurs ground? It's not in the Bellarine area. What do you call a GFL game played at Lara? That's not in Geelong. What do you call a GDFL game played in Werribee? It's not in the Geelong District. Gee it's getting pedantic if you think league names are going to become an issue. It doesn't matter.

What do you currently call a BFL game involving Geelong Amateurs ground? It's not in the Bellarine area. What do you call a GFL game played at Lara? That's not in Geelong. What do you call a GDFL game played in Werribee? It's not in the Geelong District. Gee it's getting pedantic if you think league names are going to become an issue. It doesn't matter.
Just putting out a suggestion, relax mate. The point is, it does matter, because no club's want the changes that AFL Barwon are implementing, and no one will benefit from it, and clubs are happy to stay in the leagues they are currently in. AFL Barwon are just trying to justify their existence by doing this, and if you read the article it's going to happen, regardless of what all it's affiliates want.

Just putting out a suggestion, relax mate. The point is, it does matter, because no club's want the changes that AFL Barwon are implementing, and no one will benefit from it, and clubs are happy to stay in the leagues they are currently in. AFL Barwon are just trying to justify their existence by doing this, and if you read the article it's going to happen, regardless of what all it's affiliates want.

Sometimes what the affiliates want is not what's best for the leagues though is it. A number of clubs have outgrown BFL and a number are struggling in GFL, hard to argue against that. I'm not a big fan of promotion/relegation either but it might be more palatable for clubs facing the changes that are coming.

Sometimes what the affiliates want is not what's best for the leagues though is it. A number of clubs have outgrown BFL and a number are struggling in GFL, hard to argue against that. I'm not a big fan of promotion/relegation either but it might be more palatable for clubs facing the changes that are coming.
In a democracy, or any committee or affiliate set up, the decision goes the way of the majority. No one except AFL Barwon wanted this. It's up to the struggling clubs to work harder to improve, not Big Brother to dictate to them. Ammo's wanted to leave BFL to GFL years ago but Football Geelong didn't want to know about it. Did you read the article? They aren't going to listen to anyone.

In a democracy, or any committee or affiliate set up, the decision goes the way of the majority. No one except AFL Barwon wanted this. It's up to the struggling clubs to work harder to improve, not Big Brother to dictate to them. Ammo's wanted to leave BFL to GFL years ago but Football Geelong didn't want to know about it. Did you read the article? They aren't going to listen to anyone.

Yeah I read it. Clubs rarely endorse change, in fact they happily sit back and watch other clubs wither and die. Things change. Places like Ocean Grove and Torquay have burgeoning populations - I'm not saying these 2 are going into the GFL but these laces are in the growth corridor - and there are clubs in the GFL that are cooked and all the hard work in the world won't bring them back to power. Wasn't the hard work done at Lara for instance, they got within sniffing distance of a flag & a new committee with a different idea went in a different direction. Their juniors are s**t and now with a disgruntled membership and also a points system in place they aren't going to be picking up Bloomfield, Schroeder, Street, Prismall etc so how do they come back from where they are. Nth Shore are no better. I don't know the answers but I know doing nothing will solve nothing.

Surely Ammo's or Torquay would jump at the chance to play gfl ? Agree that not many other clubs would be happy about being made to move particularly clubs that are in the firing line for a drop down.

Surely Ammo's or Torquay would jump at the chance to play gfl ? Agree that not many other clubs would be happy about being made to move particularly clubs that are in the firing line for a drop down.
So if it happens, how far do they go? 2 teams can't drop out of GDFL can they, no where for them to go. On last years ladder, BPH and N Geelong go up to BFL, Portarlington and Newcomb go down. Port beat Newcomb by around 180 pts last season, what will they do to Corio and Blue West for example. How is this good for anyone?

So if it happens, how far do they go? 2 teams can't drop out of GDFL can they, no where for them to go. On last years ladder, BPH and N Geelong go up to BFL, Portarlington and Newcomb go down. Port beat Newcomb by around 180 pts last season, what will they do to Corio and Blue West for example. How is this good for anyone?

Completely get what you're saying and yeah there's always going to be floggings and sides that struggle no matter what league they're in. But on the other side of the coin, some clubs may have outgrown the leagues they currently compete in. Ammos and Torquay have been very strong for a long time now. They've also got a significant advantage over other bfl clubs in terms of location, population, junior numbers etc.

What I'd like to see is Ammos and Torquay get the chance to play at the premier level in the region if that's what they want to do. Put North Shore down to the 2nd tier for a while and let them try and rebuild the club. Put Newcomb down to the 3rd tier and hope they can rebuild as well.

I realise that my idea isn't perfect and would create byes in every division but no matter what ends up happening you can guarantee that some people and clubs won't be happy with it.

Yeah I read it. Clubs rarely endorse change, in fact they happily sit back and watch other clubs wither and die. Things change. Places like Ocean Grove and Torquay have burgeoning populations - I'm not saying these 2 are going into the GFL but these laces are in the growth corridor - and there are clubs in the GFL that are cooked and all the hard work in the world won't bring them back to power. Wasn't the hard work done at Lara for instance, they got within sniffing distance of a flag & a new committee with a different idea went in a different direction. Their juniors are s**t and now with a disgruntled membership and also a points system in place they aren't going to be picking up Bloomfield, Schroeder, Street, Prismall etc so how do they come back from where they are. Nth Shore are no better. I don't know the answers but I know doing nothing will solve nothing.
The League should stay as it is every Team has a time when they are going to struggle why should we relegate them to another League ? With the Points and Salary Cap in things need to settle for a couple of years and then make a decision, everyone is on an even keel now. AFL Barwon are a rule to themselves they think there the AFL.
Lara are on the right track and have the right Culture and have been smart in there recruiting.

The League should stay as it is every Team has a time when they are going to struggle why should we relegate them to another League ? With the Points and Salary Cap in things need to settle for a couple of years and then make a decision, everyone is on an even keel now. AFL Barwon are a rule to themselves they think there the AFL.
Lara are on the right track and have the right Culture and have been smart in there recruiting.

Like your optimism but can you honestly see North Shore or West being able to compete in the top level anymore ? The demographic of both areas makes it nearly impossible for them to compete with other clubs. The salary cap and points system means you can't go out and buy success anymore either ( which isn't a good idea anyway )

Like your optimism but can you honestly see North Shore or West being able to compete in the top level anymore ? The demographic of both areas makes it nearly impossible for them to compete with other clubs. The salary cap and points system means you can't go out and buy success anymore either ( which isn't a good idea anyway )
The new system needs a couple of Years you just can't bring in a rule and say bad luck. Must give everybody the same opportunity to build a list.

The new system will be lucky to last a few years in my opinion. And even if does it's not going to help clubs that suffer from lack of juniors, supporters, volunteers etc. In your opinion how do you think the new system will help clubs with low junior numbers like West or North Shore to compete with the likes of say joeys or Mary's who have got up to 3 junior sides in each grade ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St. Albans picked up the elite talent of Paul Burchell to, very very handy player. St. Albans could be the doggies of the gfl ladies and gentlemen!

The new system will be lucky to last a few years in my opinion. And even if does it's not going to help clubs that suffer from lack of juniors, supporters, volunteers etc. In your opinion how do you think the new system will help clubs with low junior numbers like West or North Shore to compete with the likes of say joeys or Mary's who have got up to 3 junior sides in each grade ?

And even with that advantage in the juniors St Marys still try and poach one of Wests best junior players.

St. Albans picked up the elite talent of Paul Burchell to, very very handy player. St. Albans could be the doggies of the gfl ladies and gentlemen!

I have them jumping the ladder but come to think of it, they recruit high profile players every year and always never end up making finals so lets wait and see with st albans

Relegation is never the disaster the fear mongers will have you believe.

Most clubs i have experienced after being relegated find a new lease of life, after having spent years not playing finals and struggling to compete, they start winning again, the fans come back, sponsors come back, numbers at training increase and life is often brought back into the club. It also allows the club to get its finances and priorities in order without having the overhead of paying high wages to try and compete in the top division.

Additionally having relegation adds excitment into the last half of the season, and often the best games of the year are fought between those in the relegation battle.

Leopold & St Marys good odds.And maybe Colac a little too short. ;)

COUNTRY METRO FUTURES
Geeelong Football League Premiership 2016
44d
10:00

Premiership Winner

St. Joseph's 4.00
Newtown & Chilwell 4.50
Colac 5.50
Grovedale 5.50
Bell Park 6.50
Leopold 7.00
St. Albans 10.00
South Barwon 14.00
GWSP 34.00
St. Mary's 34.00
North Shore 51.00
Lara 101.00

Leopold & St Marys good odds.And maybe Colac a little too short. ;)

COUNTRY METRO FUTURES
Geeelong Football League Premiership 2016
44d
10:00

Premiership Winner

St. Joseph's 4.00
Newtown & Chilwell 4.50
Colac 5.50
Grovedale 5.50
Bell Park 6.50
Leopold 7.00
St. Albans 10.00
South Barwon 14.00
GWSP 34.00
St. Mary's 34.00
North Shore 51.00
Lara 101.00

gee whizzzz get on Leopold! Bell park also nice odds although they have lost a few "handy players" Colac definetely too short & maybe Grovedale aswell.

Looking at Marys recruits whilst they wont win the flag they are nice odds

gee whizzzz get on Leopold! Bell park also nice odds although they have lost a few "handy players" Colac definetely too short & maybe Grovedale aswell.

Looking at Marys recruits whilst they wont win the flag they are nice odds[/QUOTE
Be great to see a Northshore or Lara make finals

Premier Division EDFL Club looking for a practice match 12th of March. The game will consist of 3 Grades, full quarters plus time on and can host

Please PM for more info

Remove this Banner Ad

Back