GFL Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Aren't a couple of clubs (at least) facing the cut from the GFL under a restructure? Wouldn't Wests be one of the clubs under this cloud? So how would it go if West Roosters and West Cheetahs merged then Roosters were relegated to the 2nd tier, say Bellarine if that's what it will be called, and they field a 2nd team in the 3rd tier or GDFL. Assuming that there will be a promotion/relegation system, eventually at least, it is possible that both teams find themselves in the same division, in effect, competing against themselves. How the hell could that work?

Exactly, the 2 clubs have a stack of things to work out, but from what info I have they are willing to work together to make it work. Plenty of water to go under the bridge but the clubs have been in talks for 12 months and are working through it.

Because certain clubs simply cant survive. Namely Geelong West red & blue. They have been cellar dwellers for near enough to 20 years. They are not improving, in blue wests case they have no juniors, they are not going to survive and AFL Baron are not going to help them. The clubs facilities are abysmal, they don't have the sponsorship or financial support to compete with the Newtown's or St Joeys of the league. They really are a basket case and AFL Barwon and the COGG have done nothing to help the club at all. For Christs sake the bloody timekeepers box was purposely set alight in January and there has been no movement or mention for the COGG to repair. They are hiding on the fact that it is heritage listed and they are working on how it will get done. Give me a spell. The clubs are a liability to the new system coming in and something like what was made public today can only be seen as a positive for the future of both blue and red west.

Maybe if some of the well heeled clubs weren't trying to poach promising juniors from these battling clubs they could build up through the juniors.

West ran Newtown to within a goal the other week with a squad containing a bunch of young kids that have come up from the junior ranks.

Greed is a liability in the GFL.

More in today's Addy.

GEELONG West Cheetahs president Paul Westcott has backed a proposed alignment between his club and Geelong West-St Peter’s.

Under the planned deal the club could be known as the GW Giants by next year, a nod to Greater Western Sydney Giants, whose chief executive David Matthews met with Roosters officials last Friday.

Any union between the two Geelong West clubs would be voted on by club members at a later date, but Westcott said it made sense in the long-term interests of both clubs, with any move to join forces to be in the greater interests of the growing Geelong West community.

“If there is a better opportunity to come and play footy in Geelong West under the Giants banner than under two individual clubs, then I think it’s only a positive,” Westcott said.

“There is not a Queens Park and an Ammos down there in the one spot, there aren’t two Newtowns in Newtown, we’re in a unique position where we have got two clubs in one area.

“We know that coming together and respecting everyone’s history but actually working for the community of Geelong West (is the right thing), rather than Blue just working for Blue and Red just working for Red, (which) probably is working against both our core values of working for the community of Geelong West.

“We reckon we’ve probably given 90-odd years of confused mixed messages and that it could be done better so that’s what we’re both actually looking to do and realistically to put together a better package.”

An amalgamation of Geelong West and Geelong West-St Peter’s would be just as beneficial off the field as it would on it, with a change to the current arrangement likely to help streamline funding from various government bodies.

Westcott said it would be more likely that both Geelong West teams would play in their respective leagues in 2017 — even if that was under the Giants banner — giving time to figure out how the new club would look beyond that and where it would compete.

“There is a possibility of (playing as the Giants) next year but how it would operate next year in a really rough sense would be that we would spend all of next year planning for a full coming together in 2018 and 2017 both clubs would potentially play in their respective leagues wearing the same colours,” he said.

“So the Giants could be in two different leagues under the same name but the two clubs would remain separate for next year and we would have a working party working towards the most beneficial way to bring the two clubs in under the one banner for the following season.”

It is possible that the AFL’s youngest team will be involved with the new club in areas such as sportsman’s nights, coaching, player availability for clinics and developing pathways to the Giant’s NEAFL and AFL lists.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...n/news-story/f5e6d38b0179fca5d25f9a4e86d76dde

Maybe if some of the well heeled clubs weren't trying to poach promising juniors from these battling clubs they could build up through the juniors.

West ran Newtown to within a goal the other week with a squad containing a bunch of young kids that have come up from the junior ranks.

Greed is a liability in the GFL.

Such a great call, but its the nature of the beast in local footy leagues across the country and unfortunately our Hierarchy in AFL Barwon would say its up to the clubs to retain youth.

Such a great call, but its the nature of the beast in local footy leagues across the country and unfortunately our Hierarchy in AFL Barwon would say its up to the clubs to retain youth.

The AFL and it's minions love to push the integrity of the game and equalization lines.

Approaching other teams juniors could be factored into that if bigger clubs are trying to pilfer talent from the smaller clubs.

The AFL and it's minions love to push the integrity of the game and equalization lines.

Approaching other teams juniors could be factored into that if bigger clubs are trying to pilfer talent from the smaller clubs.

Under the player points system poaching of juniors will become more prevelant. There are district clubs around Ballarat recruiting U'16 players from the BFL and paying them.

Under the player points system poaching of juniors will become more prevelant. There are district clubs around Ballarat recruiting U'16 players from the BFL and paying them.

Yeah I heard whispers over the last few seasons of young players being offered money to switch clubs.

Disgraceful if true.

Massive round for a few teams. Bell Park need a percentage boost against West, Colacs last hopes of finals against St Marys you would think, Grovedale need to beat south, can North shore beat Lara and get win number 1 for the year. Also what a mouth watering clash between Joeys and Newtown. The loser of this match might cost themselves a top 3 position, i know newtown are a game clear in 3rd but they have a tough run and poor percentage while Joeys will fall effectively 2 games out if they lose, massive!

Massive round for a few teams. Bell Park need a percentage boost against West, Colacs last hopes of finals against St Marys you would think, Grovedale need to beat south, can North shore beat Lara and get win number 1 for the year. Also what a mouth watering clash between Joeys and Newtown. The loser of this match might cost themselves a top 3 position, i know newtown are a game clear in 3rd but they have a tough run and poor percentage while Joeys will fall effectively 2 games out if they lose, massive!

Absolutely pathetic from Grovedale today. Played like they just thought they'd turn up and win today. Disappointing that a season that promised so much will ultimately deliver nothing. The final 5 games for Grovey are St. Albans (a) Colac (h) St Joeys (a) Newtown (h) North Shore (h)

Will beat North Shore and that's it.

Yes, really surprising result to see South get over Grovey, particularly after what Leopold did to South last week. A weeks a long time in footy eh! Just goes to show how much footy is played above the shoulders. Grovey will beat St Albans(not much chop) and still could be dangerous if they make it with the right mindset!

Good win by joeys - Newtown were coming hard and held tight late. Helped by inaccurate kicking but that's what pressure does!! Newtown side is stacked with quality and may still miss finals. Hard to believe. That slow start to the year that they weren't worried about may bite them. in my opinion - Still Leopold well in front. Mary's staying there abouts. Joeys building and I won't be writing off bell park or Newtown. Think yesterday's result will hurt Grovey - what a great competition again. Good to see the seagulls salute too. Windsor park would have been rocking

Gday big footy subscribers i just want to throw it out there that myself and my family are looking to move to the geelong area at the end of the season and im currently coaching in the strong goulbourn valley football league this season and am looking for opportunities to get involved in the strong geelong leauge in the future! Hate to do it on here but hoping can help if interested in more details Pm me thank you

Absolutely pathetic from Grovedale today. Played like they just thought they'd turn up and win today. Disappointing that a season that promised so much will ultimately deliver nothing. The final 5 games for Grovey are St. Albans (a) Colac (h) St Joeys (a) Newtown (h) North Shore (h)

Let's be frank tho inspector are they even up to the top 4 or 5 teams realistically? I understand they have beaten a couple but i actually think they have exceeded expectations and because they started so well they set the bar high.

When you lose the 4 or 5 quality players they did they were always going to be hard to replace and the guys they have replaced them with are mainly gdfl guys who have done pretty well, i just think now with a couple of injuries we are probably starting to see where they are really at which is around the 5th/6th mark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be frank tho inspector are they even up to the top 4 or 5 teams realistically? I understand they have beaten a couple but i actually think they have exceeded expectations and because they started so well they set the bar high.

When you lose the 4 or 5 quality players they did they were always going to be hard to replace and the guys they have replaced them with are mainly gdfl guys who have done pretty well, i just think now with a couple of injuries we are probably starting to see where they are really at which is around the 5th/6th mark

Fair reply mate. I must admit that I was surprised with the recruiting of so many gdfl players this year, specially when compared to what they lost from last season. They haven't preformed too badly the gdfl boys but I thought the club might've tried to recruit from a higher level. And the thing is Grovey have shown they can compete with the good sides and if they hadn't have dropped two in a row to Bell Park and Joeys earlier in the year ( both games they should never have lost ) then the top 3 would've pretty much been settled by now. That's what makes Saturday's loss hard to take. Yeah on there day South aren't a bad side but it's still a game Grovey shouldn't drop.

Gday big footy subscribers i just want to throw it out there that myself and my family are looking to move to the geelong area at the end of the season and im currently coaching in the strong goulbourn valley football league this season and am looking for opportunities to get involved in the strong geelong leauge in the future! Hate to do it on here but hoping can help if interested in more details Pm me thank you

PM sent.

I wouldn't discount Bell Park just yet. There tough to win from an elimination final but Colac showed it can be done. Leopold clearly in the box seat and have some unfinished business from 2014. Should be another ripping final series!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 horse for mine. Grovey and Bell Park just making up numbers.

They are too potent to not be considered. Starting midfield on paper arguably the best in the comp, 2 gun key forwards, one of the in form key defenders...and i know they arent playing much of late but they are absolutely smashing the bottom sides, this week will tell us where they are at.

Big Statement mate, why ?
I have not be told why but I am thinking it may have something to do with how much they have spent over the past couple of seasons and where they have finished on the ladder. I guess players also walking out and wanting to walkout throughout the season is probably not a great sign but to be honest they had some serious egos the players that did and wanted to leave.

This is second hand information so read in to it what you will.

Inspector they have proved us wrong!

Inspector they have proved us wrong!

Absolutely mate and I'm happy to have been wrong! The past couple of weeks have been fantastic, in fact I think the 2nd half yesterday was the best I've seen them play since the last quarter of the 2013 prelim final. Was surprised with joeys tho, thought they'd throw everything at Grovey in the last but they didn't fire a shot. You give them a chance this week? If they bring the intensity and pressure they've shown the last 2 weeks they'd have to be a big show

Absolutely mate and I'm happy to have been wrong! The past couple of weeks have been fantastic, in fact I think the 2nd half yesterday was the best I've seen them play since the last quarter of the 2013 prelim final. Was surprised with joeys tho, thought they'd throw everything at Grovey in the last but they didn't fire a shot. You give them a chance this week? If they bring the intensity and pressure they've shown the last 2 weeks they'd have to be a big show

Yeah they have to give themselves a chance, will be tough but aslong as they put up a fight at the very least then i think everyone will be happy and hopefully they are good enough to advance to the big one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back