Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Will take a well run and resourced club to continually raise the funds if they are going to max out the Cap in first Division every year. Still no word from the ATO on the tax treatment. Would have made a whole lot of sense to enforce any new recommendations at the same time.

Have the ATO been asked to make a ruling on this? My sister is an accountant and she is unaware of any pending legislation in relation to income. She did say that at the moment, as far as local footy goes, that it's either assessable income or exempt income if it's classed as a "hobby." She did say that there is no magical figure where it automatically becomes assessable but depends on a few things such as if the player intends to make a profit from playing footy and how often they play. She also said that there is same case law on the matter and good luck trying to work it out! Who'd want to be a treasurer?

Have the ATO been asked to make a ruling on this? My sister is an accountant and she is unaware of any pending legislation in relation to income. She did say that at the moment, as far as local footy goes, that it's either assessable income or exempt income if it's classed as a "hobby." She did say that there is no magical figure where it automatically becomes assessable but depends on a few things such as if the player intends to make a profit from playing footy and how often they play. She also said that there is same case law on the matter and good luck trying to work it out! Who'd want to be a treasurer?

AFL Victoria had indicated earlier in the year that a test case/tax ruling was going to be released towards the back end of this season and that we could expect some guidelines as a result. This must have been put in their too hard basket as nothing has eventuated. Your sister is spot on with the current guidelines.

Thought we'd have moved a fair way on from all this stuff by now....

Doesn’t look like it, MH.

Another dud Second Division grand final, with Kinglake not firing a shot. We haven’t had a decent GF in Div 2 since 2009. You’d think the best two sides would have been more evenly matched than they were on Saturday. Does anyone think that the six day break has anything to do with it? I suppose that the Div 2 grand final is played on a Saturday to allow the winners to celebrate properly? It seems unfortunate that the result of that is a six day break for the PF winners in both divisions.

In First Division, Brendon Murphy played one of the finest wet-weather games I’ve ever seen to get Healesville over the line. Good for him after so many years of not playing finals at Warburton. Hope Healesville can be competitive on Saturday in drier conditions. I don’t think we’ve had a really good Div 1 GF since 2010. My tip is Olinda, but I wouldn’t begrudge either side winning their long-awaited premiership.

Another dud Second Division grand final, with Kinglake not firing a shot. We haven’t had a decent GF in Div 2 since 2009. You’d think the best two sides would have been more evenly matched than they were on Saturday. Does anyone think that the six day break has anything to do with it? I suppose that the Div 2 grand final is played on a Saturday to allow the winners to celebrate properly? It seems unfortunate that the result of that is a six day break for the PF winners in both divisions.

In First Division, Brendon Murphy played one of the finest wet-weather games I’ve ever seen to get Healesville over the line. Good for him after so many years of not playing finals at Warburton. Hope Healesville can be competitive on Saturday in drier conditions. I don’t think we’ve had a really good Div 1 GF since 2010. My tip is Olinda, but I wouldn’t begrudge either side winning their long-awaited premiership.

Second division was up for grabs pretty much all year but that's the way grand finals go I guess. I don't think the six day break comes into at all, especially at local level. I don't even think it has that much influence at AFL to be honest, I think it's just something that clubs can use as an "out" for a poor performance.

Hopefully first division will be a close game but I think Olinda will start as favourites after a fairly comprehensive win over Healesville a fortnight ago. Whoever wins will celebrate pretty hard as Healesville's last first division flag was in 1988 and Olinda are yet to win one (going by the history page of the league's website).

And a shout out to the girls at Woori. To lose a preliminary final must be pretty disappointing, to lose by a goal must be heartbreaking, but to lose 2 preliminaries by a goal must be devastating.

Should be a great Grand Final, Olinda Ferny Creek yet to win a Div 1 Flag. It is the one thing missing on the trophy shelf at the club.
Just a huge congrats to all involved at the club, there is a great feel around the place and a huge belief.
Win or lose, the OFCFNC should be proud but please win..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge effort by both clubs this week, consider that progress both clubs have made over the last couple of years.
Healesville only 3 years ago were down in Div 2, this week they play off in their second consecutive grand final.
Olinda also down in Div 2 a few years ago now, but have been cellar dwellers in Div 1 for a while until the last couple of years when the paving stones were laid for the opportunity at their first Div 1 premiership.

Don't think the 6 day break is relevant. Belgrave won in 2012 and Yarra Glen in 2014 coming off the 6 day break. Other years it has just been the clearly best team that has won. 2nd Division clubs don't have a lot of depth so injuries play a big part. Gembrook had a few through the year but when most were back at the end, they were just a better team.

but this year has been very stressful from disrespectful people around the completion and I always said the day I stopped enjoying going to the footy would be signal for me that it was time to step back, not sure if any of you read the footy record on Saturday but there was an insightful piece written from the AFL Yarra Rangers General Manager Luke McCormick on the league desire to see respectful behaviour from all at the footy & netball, it’s a pity the Woori Yallock captain and his players didn’t bother to read it and they went on an alcohol fuel attack first at our netballers who were playing their girls & then they stood behind our coaches box and hurled disrespectful abuse at our players & coaches all day in full view of all involved at the league and no one bothered to do anything about it, which is sad given the article that Luke had written, anyway thanks again to you all for your support during my journey at the club.

The above is an extract from "Rob's Report Preliminary Final" on the Wandin website. I take it Rob has never stood on the flank opposite the scoreboard at the Clegg Road end of the ground at Wandin.

but this year has been very stressful from disrespectful people around the completion and I always said the day I stopped enjoying going to the footy would be signal for me that it was time to step back, not sure if any of you read the footy record on Saturday but there was an insightful piece written from the AFL Yarra Rangers General Manager Luke McCormick on the league desire to see respectful behaviour from all at the footy & netball, it’s a pity the Woori Yallock captain and his players didn’t bother to read it and they went on an alcohol fuel attack first at our netballers who were playing their girls & then they stood behind our coaches box and hurled disrespectful abuse at our players & coaches all day in full view of all involved at the league and no one bothered to do anything about it, which is sad given the article that Luke had written, anyway thanks again to you all for your support during my journey at the club.

The above is an extract from "Rob's Report Preliminary Final" on the Wandin website. I take it Rob has never stood on the flank opposite the scoreboard at the Clegg Road end of the ground at Wandin.

At least they only hurled abuse. First hand experience that if you get too close to the fence at his ground you have alcohol poured on you.

I guess he has just stopped enjoying under achieving. To have the biggest budget in the league for the past 5 years & to only reach the big dance twice for 1 win would be disappointing. Is it just a coincidence that the one time the coach changed the side went undefeated & won the whole thing?

for a Farewell write up that is pretty poor if there was such a big problem address it with the league or the club in question

Good result for all in the departure I say

This year granny should be a belter
18 degrees going to be a great spectacle for all

Tips are
18s - Emerald by 10
Res - Olinda by 30
Senior -Olinda 15

At least they only hurled abuse. First hand experience that if you get too close to the fence at his ground you have alcohol poured on you.

I guess he has just stopped enjoying under achieving. To have the biggest budget in the league for the past 5 years & to only reach the big dance twice for 1 win would be disappointing. Is it just a coincidence that the one time the coach changed the side went undefeated & won the whole thing?

Every ground, every club has pockets where the behavior of its supporters is somewhat passionately questionable

I doubt anyone could name a club where this hasn't been the case in years gone by

Looks like Healesville got the chocolates, how was the game ?

Little birdy tells me John Holmes (from Norwood EFL) is playing coach at Yarra Junction next year, not a bad get

Little birdy tells me John Holmes (from Norwood EFL) is playing coach at Yarra Junction next year, not a bad get
Was confirmed on facebook, good to see him return to his junior club, despite better offers from elsewhere. I had thought their previous coach had been reappointed but obviously not the case

Derby103 mentioned in an earlier post that in the second division grand final Kinglake never fired a shot. In the first division grand final Olinda didn't even raise the gun. Out played. Out muscled. Out coached. Out everything. Full credit to Healesville who showed that you don't have to be the best team all year, just the best team at the end of the year. These two have played 4 times now this season and whilst Healesville have not been able to kick more than 8 goals against Olinda they've still managed to beat them twice. Both of those wins came at Healesville, so I'll put that in the memory bank for the next time they play at Don Road.

And don't worry about all that laughing you can hear as it's only Luke Barclay laughing and thinking to himself "I can't believe that these dills have kicked it to me again!":p

Game felt very similar to the 2013 AFL grand final. Healesville controlled the game virtually the whole day and while Olinda was in striking distance most of the day even getting within 15 points briefly in the last quarter before a quick reply they never got a run on or truly threatened them. Was quite a good game to watch though and pretty much perfect conditions besides a slight breeze. Another great put on by the league and Healesville.

Funnily enough I thought Olinda looked by far the better side across the ground - but woeful once it came to entering F50.
Also, anyone heard the rumor the Bayliss boys and Faulkes(sp?) are headed to Park Orchards next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back