Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Well the news season got off to a fantastic start here at Lorne on Easter Saturday with an absolute bumper crowd of around 3500 spectators. At every break in the game the oval was packed with people having a kick- from little kids and grand-dads to young guys trying to dob them from the boundary.
The end result was a fitting tribute to Mark Trickey who coached both clubs and sadly passed away recently.
It looked like Lorne had the edge for most of the game and their short game with lots of in-close handballs was troubling Birregurra and they skipped away to a good lead at three-quarter time. But Birre rallied and their long kicking style in the blustery conditions saw them claw back the lead. With a mere one point lead Birre had to watch as a Lorne player took a free after the final siren needing only a point to draw and a goal to win. Didn't seem too hard a task for a kick within the forward arc but the ball fell short and Birre took the points.
Both teams look to be contenders this season and the next couple of games will prove to be interesting. I cant wait for the whole season to get underway.
I have to add that Saturday's game was hard, tough and direct with a cliff hanger finish - and the contested balls and lack of backwards passing and chipping the ball around sure kept the crowd entertained. Its the kind of footy that the A.F.L. just doesn't understand.
I've attached a few photos of the crowd but there's lots on the CDFL Live page.

Attachments

• LFC 26032016.jpg
    LFC 26032016.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 173
  • LFC 26032016-1.jpg
    LFC 26032016-1.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 159

LocalFootballer

Debutant
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Well the news season got off to a fantastic start here at Lorne on Easter Saturday with an absolute bumper crowd of around 3500 spectators. At every break in the game the oval was packed with people having a kick- from little kids and grand-dads to young guys trying to dob them from the boundary.
The end result was a fitting tribute to Mark Trickey who coached both clubs and sadly passed away recently.
It looked like Lorne had the edge for most of the game and their short game with lots of in-close handballs was troubling Birregurra and they skipped away to a good lead at three-quarter time. But Birre rallied and their long kicking style in the blustery conditions saw them claw back the lead. With a mere one point lead Birre had to watch as a Lorne player took a free after the final siren needing only a point to draw and a goal to win. Didn't seem too hard a task for a kick within the forward arc but the ball fell short and Birre took the points.
Both teams look to be contenders this season and the next couple of games will prove to be interesting. I cant wait for the whole season to get underway.
I have to add that Saturday's game was hard, tough and direct with a cliff hanger finish - and the contested balls and lack of backwards passing and chipping the ball around sure kept the crowd entertained. Its the kind of footy that the A.F.L. just doesn't understand.
I've attached a few photos of the crowd but there's lots on the CDFL Live page.
Roger did you watch the Lorne game on the weekend? Seems a surprising result after nearly beating Birregurra the week before

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Roger did you watch the Lorne game on the weekend? Seems a surprising result after nearly beating Birregurra the week before
Couldn't get to the match L.F. ...but was surprised by the result, considering that Lorne's team looked strong on paper...but beating Alvie at their home is always a tough ask...I'll ask around tho.

LocalFootballer

Debutant
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I watched the interleague game on saturday and cdfl were very impressive. some really good players stood out Kelly, Cox, Razga,Spokes all impressed. Whats everyone think will happen for the remainder of the season?

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
I've only got Lorne news at this time of the year...some departures in Roy who never really got going...a wedding and long honeymoon shortened his season. Gubbins- who played the first game and got a BOG....it was his one and only game, but back at the club are the two Smartts from Colac...one their b&f winner, as well as key defender Graziani and ball magnet Brock Shiels back for his third crack at the CDFL. Some key juniors showing promise, but at this stage of the pre-season, anyone who can run shows promise.
Stay tuned for a big announcement about footy on the Great Ocean Road....moves are afoot for something special for this Easter.

RogerDean

Senior List
Oct 24, 2012
Great Ocean Road
AFL Club
Richmond
How old is Shiels now? Has he played since his last stint at Lorne?
He must be getting on...I think he played in the 2001 premiership side. He had a year off last season to play with his old up-country club but missed most of the season with a broken something- maybe an arm. Nevertheless...he knows how to play and can deliver the ball. Most see him as a small crumbing forward now but he would be very handy playing as a small rebounding defender....you'd have to keep your eyes on him or he could rack up a lot of possessions real quick.

Any new recruits of note anywhere else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back