Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Hello everyone,

With the practice games over, I thought we could take a look at the season just around the corner.

I think the big challenge for us will be managing expectations. Before last year, we were largely seen as a team with a lot of potential, and it was confidently predicted that “one day”, we’d live up to the undoubted potential of our talent-packed list.

I think it’s fair to say that much-awaited day happened sometime last season. We played consistently to a high standard, made our first final series, and came within a kick of our first Grand Final. So we no longer have the element of surprise on our side. We’ve been noticed.

Injuries to Corr and Coniglio notwithstanding, and another probable suspension for Jeremy, we acquitted ourselves reasonably well during the pre-season. Our new talent looked good. I don’t think Leon would be unduly concerned.

Yet for all the talk of premiership windows being wide open, we’re still to record maiden wins against Collingwood and West Coast (and we play the Eagles twice this year).

The reality is that things are going to be much tougher and the critics, having been wrong on so many things relating to the Giants, will be waiting to pounce.

Looking at the first half of the draw, it’s definitely no stroll in the park. A trip to Adelaide against the Crows, who'll be burning from last year’s late season fade-out. The Suns, who’ll want to leave a troubled history behind them, and start living up to their own potential. The first of two trips to Tasmania. Throw in the Swans, Bulldogs, Collingwood, and the Eagles in Perth, and we’ll have been made to earn whatever ladder position we have when the bye arrives.

As for us supporters, well, we’ve got a record number of members, so that should mean record average crowds at home games in Sydney. No more sub-10K crowds – that’s our challenge for the season. No excuses!

But it’s going to be an exciting year, and I know I’m looking forward to hitting the members bar again (and I confidently predict I’m not the only one :D).

Thoughts?

:DDefinitely looking.forward to the year ahead. Footy seasons inevitably bring great wins and terrible losses, and no-one knows what lies ahead. It would be disrespectful of supporters of clubs without much in the way of prospects to say we aren't in a gòod place. Our turn at the bottom will come again one day.

My plan is to make hay while the sun shines and attend round 1, the Canberra games and am eying off rnd 16 in Launcestion v the Hawks. On a personal as many of tje NEAFL games as I can, at least until Cumming and Tiziani settle into the ones.:)
I think the challenge is the big away games in the H/A season, displayed form may change this list a little but the Crows, Swans, WC, and Geelong in the last round will show if the boys are tough enough to win the flag for mine.
I know this is a bugbear of mine and I know it isn't popular to be negative about these things but I hope for more committed supporters this year. My view has changed since the PF and I would be ok with 7k supporters who bleed the clubs colours in preference to the casual support that seems to be a large part of our support base right now. Numbers matter but so does commitment.
I'm pretty reticent by nature but I did sing the club song twice at the QF led by a young couple near and plan to try to be more vocal at the games, probably never cut it in the orange army though.

Hello everyone,

With the practice games over, I thought we could take a look at the season just around the corner.

I think the big challenge for us will be managing expectations. Before last year, we were largely seen as a team with a lot of potential, and it was confidently predicted that “one day”, we’d live up to the undoubted potential of our talent-packed list.

I think it’s fair to say that much-awaited day happened sometime last season. We played consistently to a high standard, made our first final series, and came within a kick of our first Grand Final. So we no longer have the element of surprise on our side. We’ve been noticed.

Injuries to Corr and Coniglio notwithstanding, and another probable suspension for Jeremy, we acquitted ourselves reasonably well during the pre-season. Our new talent looked good. I don’t think Leon would be unduly concerned.

Yet for all the talk of premiership windows being wide open, we’re still to record maiden wins against Collingwood and West Coast (and we play the Eagles twice this year).

The reality is that things are going to be much tougher and the critics, having been wrong on so many things relating to the Giants, will be waiting to pounce.

Looking at the first half of the draw, it’s definitely no stroll in the park. A trip to Adelaide against the Crows, who'll be burning from last year’s late season fade-out. The Suns, who’ll want to leave a troubled history behind them, and start living up to their own potential. The first of two trips to Tasmania. Throw in the Swans, Bulldogs, Collingwood, and the Eagles in Perth, and we’ll have been made to earn whatever ladder position we have when the bye arrives.

As for us supporters, well, we’ve got a record number of members, so that should mean record average crowds at home games in Sydney. No more sub-10K crowds – that’s our challenge for the season. No excuses!

But it’s going to be an exciting year, and I know I’m looking forward to hitting the members bar again (and I confidently predict I’m not the only one :D).

Thoughts?
We also play the Cats in Geelong, right? Probably the toughest place to play for any team. Yeah, we'll certainly have earned any success in 2017, whatever that may be. We'll be "the hunted" before we've even achieved anything.

We have to improve to finish top 4. We have a tougher fixture as pointed out. So where do we improve.
Lids when available but where else. I fear Steve J won't have the same impact and we know how valuable Mummy is.
So which young guns will take the next step like Kelly, Zac, Lobb ?

We have to improve to finish top 4. We have a tougher fixture as pointed out. So where do we improve.
Lids when available but where else. I fear Steve J won't have the same impact and we know how valuable Mummy is.
So which young guns will take the next step like Kelly, Zac, Lobb ?
The reality the improvement we nned for this year is a general lift from everyone. In terms of big steps, Corr please (also need to keep him fit) and I do still believe that Jezza has another level in him. Keeping and eye on the next few years, Flynn and Himmelberg.

The reality the improvement we nned for this year is a general lift from everyone. In terms of big steps, Corr please (also need to keep him fit) and I do still believe that Jezza has another level in him. Keeping and eye on the next few years, Flynn and Himmelberg.
I get Jezza, particularly his defensive contribution. I liked his interview when he said he needs to improve his consistency. Previously he's been upfront about the need to develop the defensive side of his game, and last year his tackling when suspended. Great attitude for mine, facing his weaknesses publicly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back