Autopsy season 2017 in review

Remove this Banner Ad

Im just so gutted that we wasted a year of development opportunity for those young players who were fit.

Partington excepted the other youngsters were battling injury or just not good enough.

And Parto eventually got a sustained run at it.

Who do you think we 'wasted' a year of development with?

Partington excepted the other youngsters were battling injury or just not good enough.

None of our young midfielders actually got to play in the midfield apart from Sheed and even he got very limited time in there. That's a start.

None of our young midfielders actually got to play in the midfield apart from Sheed and even he got very limited time in there. That's a start.

With Priddis and Mitchell moving on they are definitely getting more midfield minutes. I do agree that Parto and co should've got more time in the middle this year but I don't agree with those that think throwing in an underdone Venables, Rioli etc would've been beneficial to either themselves individually or the team as a whole.

With Priddis and Mitchell moving on they are definitely getting more midfield minutes. I do agree that Parto and co should've got more time in the middle this year but I don't agree with those that think throwing in an underdone Venables, Rioli etc would've been beneficial to either themselves individually or the team as a whole.
And the fact that Priddis and Mitchell were going to move on is the very reason to have given our young midfielders development time in the actual midfield, so they're not completely out of their depth next year.
I never mentioned Venables or Rioli who seem more like forwards to me than midfielders, but guys like Nelson, Partington, Duggan, Cole, Mutimer and Karpany should have been given more time in the middle. True that none of them (besides Cole) are likely to turn into stars but you do need role players in the midfield as well and developing these guys a bit more would only have helped us next year and likely done very little to damage our final finishing position.

And the fact that Priddis and Mitchell were going to move on is the very reason to have given our young midfielders development time in the actual midfield, so they're not completely out of their depth next year.
I never mentioned Venables or Rioli who seem more like forwards to me than midfielders, but guys like Nelson, Partington, Duggan, Cole, Mutimer and Karpany should have been given more time in the middle. True that none of them (besides Cole) are likely to turn into stars but you do need role players in the midfield as well and developing these guys a bit more would only have helped us next year and likely done very little to damage our final finishing position.

Nelson isn't really an on baller or ball winner, Duggan got plenty of game time, Mutimer is meh but along with Karpany might be something with a bit of luck.

The oldies got us to finals, and then got us over the line against Port. I'd rather play finals than not, and if it means sacrificing a bit of time developing the rookies and slipping three spots in the draft then so be it. The finals experience for Barrass, Parto, Duggan, Sheed etc could prove more valuable in the long run, we could do a Worsfold-era run where we got to plenty of elimination finals then it all came together in 2005.

Nelson isn't really an on baller or ball winner, Duggan got plenty of game time, Mutimer is meh but along with Karpany might be something with a bit of luck.

The oldies got us to finals, and then got us over the line against Port. I'd rather play finals than not, and if it means sacrificing a bit of time developing the rookies and slipping three spots in the draft then so be it. The finals experience for Barrass, Parto, Duggan, Sheed etc could prove more valuable in the long run, we could do a Worsfold-era run where we got to plenty of elimination finals then it all came together in 2005.

This rather play finals than not when we are no chance is north melbourne

Due to our home ground advantage we can easily make finals when we wouldnt if we were melbourne based.

By the exact same token - we wont win grand finals - it continually gives us a skewed idea of where our list is at and the grand final

Every
Single
Year

Is in melbourne

We actually have to be head and shoulders above teams to win a granny

We need good draft picks and we need to draft well and give those kids minutes

Not scrape into 8th - then win a token final against fellow pretenders thereby ensuring shitty picks all at that time playing has beens in the middle at the expense of up and comers.

Your must play finals attitude is why we are mediocre.

Due to our home ground advantage we can easily make finals when we wouldnt if we were melbourne based.

By the exact same token - we wont win grand finals - it continually gives us a skewed idea of where our list is at and the grand final

Every
Single
Year

Is in melbourne

Not scrape into 8th - then win a token final against fellow pretenders thereby ensuring shitty picks all at that time playing has beens in the middle at the expense of up and comers.

The only solutions to your 'problems' are becoming the East Coast Eagles (not happening), and if we aren't doing well by the halfway point, to tank for draft picks. Just think about that.

I'd f*** off to support the purple mob if we accept that.

The only solutions to your 'problems' are becoming the East Coast Eagles (not happening), and if we aren't doing well by the halfway point, to tank for draft picks. Just think about that.

I'd f*** off to support the purple mob if we accept that.
You think you could support another side?

Every
Single
Year

Is in melbourne

For any team outside of Victoria to succeed you need to make the top 4 which gives you home games and hopefully a weeks break, eg WCE 2015 and Adelaide this year. Unfortunately we did not capitalise on our success in 2015, but that was our year if we were to have the ultimate success. A shame the players got stage fright. We also just have to learn on how to win games at the G which surely comes down to the coaching and motivation of the players.

You think you could support another side?

Nah, not really.

But I'd not bother with us if we ever do a Melbourne and actively tank and do s**t like appointing Duggan as captain or pushing out any player that turned 30.

In all honesty Melbourne should have beaten Collingwood to secure their finals spot and we should have finished 9th.

We beat minor premier and then Port in extra time goal after the siren... memories I will never forget.

Considering I had us out of the 8 this year in my predictions I reckon this year has been a success, last nights smacking means nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, not really.

But I'd not bother with us if we ever do a Melbourne and actively tank and do s**t like appointing Duggan as captain or pushing out any player that turned 30.
Whatabout simply accepting this isnt our year and instead of topping up with old dudes we drafted young dudes and played them with every intention of winning

In position.

You know - like hawthorn have done

This is how bad our player development was this year, games played in 2017 by players currently as of today under 25 years of age:
Games played 2017.JPG
And consider that 83 of those games from our team were played by 4 players.

Last edited:
Whatabout simply accepting this isnt our year and instead of topping up with old dudes we drafted young dudes and played them with every intention of winning

In position.

You know - like hawthorn have done
I think the closeness of our losses indicate it could have been our year. A couple of those games goes the other way and it means we would have been top four.
We as a club have to fight for that sort of result from the start of the season and keep going with that intention. You can't say at the beginning of the year, we aren't in it so lets just play the kids and see what draft pick we can get, that's tanking. Not only tanking but setting up a really poor culture at the club.

Hawthorn not really a great example for you to use to support your case either, they have brought in plenty of older top up players over the years. It's worked out ok for them too.

I think the closeness of our losses indicate it could have been our year. A couple of those games goes the other way and it means we would have been top four.
We as a club have to fight for that sort of result from the start of the season and keep going with that intention. You can't say at the beginning of the year, we aren't in it so lets just play the kids and see what draft pick we can get, that's tanking. Not only tanking but setting up a really poor culture at the club.

Hawthorn not really a great example for you to use to support your case either, they have brought in plenty of older top up players over the years. It's worked out ok for them too.
Every single other team in the league seem to be able to strike a balance between a win-now philosphy and playing young players for future development.

They bought in top up players when they had just won a flag and were primed for another assault.

We on the other hand have just lost our superstar ruckman - you know - the bloke who makes our b grade midfield competitive and the back up ruckman.

We werent primed for a flag - we were primed for a mini rebuild on the run to hopefully be finished by the time nn is back in full flight.

Yes we lost some close ones - so what - so did other teams - the teams in the top four are miles ahead of us.

Also the grand final is at the g.

Only one loss there given the other two are crooked.

Maybe we should focus on why we draft poorly as opposed to the drafting of other sides.
I don't think it's that hard to work out

WCEdraftersfeature.jpg

Have we done anything to address existing problems in 2017?

Still too slow in the middle.

Still overly reliant on Naitanui, from what I can gauge.

Still not getting enough midfield time into youngsters.

Still play too tall at times.

Still inflexible in spite of Simpson preaching flexibility when he started.

They bought in top up players when they had just won a flag and were primed for another assault.

We on the other hand have just lost our superstar ruckman - you know - the bloke who makes our b grade midfield competitive and the back up ruckman.

We werent primed for a flag - we were primed for a mini rebuild on the run to hopefully be finished by the time nn is back in full flight.

Yes we lost some close ones - so what - so did other teams - the teams in the top four are miles ahead of us.

Also the grand final is at the g.
We hadn't lost the back up ruckman at the point where they topped up with players. And we got a bloke who had just won Hawthorns B&F for a packet of Twisties to go into the area we had the biggest issue with, the midfield.

Hawthorn had Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake and Simpkin in their 2013 Premiership Team. All recruited from other clubs before they won a three peat.

Only one loss there given the other two are crooked.

Maybe we should focus on why we draft poorly as opposed to the drafting of other sides.
Yes, but all threes injuries could have been very different at west coast. We will never know :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back