Autopsy season 2017 in review

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatabout simply accepting this isnt our year and instead of topping up with old dudes we drafted young dudes and played them with every intention of winning

In position.

You know - like hawthorn have done

We thought it was our year and recruited accordingly. Benefit of hindsight and all that but we did make a GF in 2015 and finished top six in 2016 and there were no major retirements. Why throw in the youth in the guts when you have Sam Mitchell wanting to join us on a flag push?

Hindsight makes heroes of us all.

We thought it was our year and recruited accordingly. Benefit of hindsight and all that but we did make a GF in 2015 and finished top six in 2016 and there were no major retirements. Why throw in the youth in the guts when you have Sam Mitchell wanting to join us on a flag push?

Actually i posted this before the year started. And was pooh poohed.

Its hilarious how every single man jack of you would defend nn on the main board saying hes the core of our midfield and a vital cog - blah blah blah

Yet in the year we dont have him - be deluded enough to think the addition of another slow midfielder who hardly plays midfield at hawthorn and hasnt for years was going to get us up.

Esp with lycett out.

You dont need a lot of footy nouse to figure it out you really dont.

We hadn't lost the back up ruckman at the point where they topped up with players. And we got a bloke who had just won Hawthorns B&F for a packet of Twisties to go into the area we had the biggest issue with, the midfield.

Hawthorn had Hale, Burgoyne, Gibson, Lake and Simpkin in their 2013 Premiership Team. All recruited from other clubs before they won a three peat.
As i mentioned in the other post - mitchell wasnt a midfielder at hawthorn and hadnt been for years. He played some midfield minutes but had long not been a starting mid.

Too slow.

Bit like the thinking on this board

• 1 Sam Mitchell 8/10 Retired
  • 21 Drew Petrie 8/10 Retired
  • 11 Matt Priddis 5/10 Retired
  • 26 Sam Butler 7/10 Retired
  • 2 Mark LeCras Retire 5/10
Head coach

Assistant coaches

OK have at it...Rate, delist, retire...fire away...

I count 12 delistings? on the list, that seems a bit extreme for mine.
2 new Coaches as Mitchell takes a Midfield Coach position.

Last edited:
Head coach

Assistant coaches

OK have at it...Rate, delist, retire...fire away...

Retired - Priddis, Mitchell, Butler, Petrie, LeCras, Brophy
Delisted - Giles, Hill, Masten, McInnes, Tunbridge?
WAFL until form dictates otherwise (not holding my breath) - Cripps, Hutchings
Last chance - Gorter, Mutimer, Schofield, Wellingham, Lamb? (because we can't delist them all)
On the trade table (if the price is right) - Gaff, Darling (both worth in the range of pick 8 - 14)
2018 big year for - Sheed, Venables, Rioli, Karpany, Waterman

Pretty significant suggested changes.
7 players off the main list and 4 off the rookie list.
The key will be to get 7 players to replace the players going out on the main list.
If we don't think we can do that then players like Masten and LeCras may remain on our list next year.

None of our young midfielders actually got to play in the midfield apart from Sheed and even he got very limited time in there. That's a start.
This, Sheed had 3 or 4 games in the mid and played really well and then after Priddis announced his retirement Simmon pushed Sheed out and putbPrid back in to appease everyone.

Anyone with two brain cells and an ounce of footy nous knew we were no shot with our most important player + his backup not being available, the only reason why our midfield somewhat worked was because of NN and not having him compounded the underlying issue we've had for years now, one paced, one trick players (Shuey the exception) all playing together in a league where fast ball movement and ability to break the lines is where the game has evolved to.

The footy department at this club is being run by complete numpties who seem to have completely misread the way the game is evolving and it's left us in a massive hole for seasons to come.

Let's look on the bright side a little.

We finished mid table but some of our losses were bad enough to push out a guy in Priddis who is clearly cooked but who would otherwise be playing next year if we finished mid table but suffered only honourable losses.

Ditto Le Cras, who you would think should retire.

I feel like if we made semis but looked competitive in every game the club may have tried to continue pushing.

They gave it one last push but you would think now we will focus primarily on rebuilding. I mentioned earlier in the year that I think our club either does one or the other: 'compete' for a flag or rebuild. We don't seem to want to or be able to do both.

I reckon we will now spend the next year playing more kids as the club will have conceded that they aren't in the hunt.

Or at least this is me being optimistic.

s**t year, bring on 2018

Can people stop making out we knew Lycett would be unavailable all year at trade time last year, because we didn't.

Can people stop making out we knew Lycett would be unavailable all year at trade time last year, because we didn't.

I reckon the club had a fair idea where he was at, they ruined him by playing him on one leg during the elim in 2016 and he was nowhere near it come 2017. Yes the shoulder was unlucky but he was always going to struggle given his lack of continuity. That's squarely on the football department.

except this is what i called last year. we shouldnt have topped up with old dudes i said our midfield would be found out without nicnat we should have had a youth focus this year while guys like priddis were still around to teach them, but the club topped up like we were a genuine flag threat. this kind of wishful thinking has left us in the state we are in absolute denial. we will never win a flag while simmo and co run things we need a realist at the helm, we should of had a mini rebuild this year the 2015 gf was this squad overachieving not something we could repeat, which has had the effect of overrating this squad.

First post here. Been reading for a while thought I'd chime in.

Relatively happy with the year considering no NN and the decline of pridda.

Really annoyed that when it became obvious we weren't going to go deep into September that the young mids were not actually played in the midfield like they should have been.

Solid spine even more solid. The emergence of Yeo was beautiful just hope he can get some minutes in the midfield and flourish in that role.

Happy with Barrass and his development.

Parto looks good just actually play him in the middle more.

Worried about Duggans development. Shows glimpses of course.

I suspect next year we will drop a few places but I'm excited to see the young'uns come through.

First post here. Been reading for a while thought I'd chime in.

Relatively happy with the year considering no NN and the decline of pridda.

Really annoyed that when it became obvious we weren't going to go deep into September that the young mids were not actually played in the midfield like they should have been.

Solid spine even more solid. The emergence of Yeo was beautiful just hope he can get some minutes in the midfield and flourish in that role.

Happy with Barrass and his development.

Parto looks good just actually play him in the middle more.

Worried about Duggans development. Shows glimpses of course.

I suspect next year we will drop a few places but I'm excited to see the young'uns come through.
Great first post, welcome mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The much talked about lack of development of the list has probably been one of the more disappointing aspects of this season for me. We need to unearth some talent in the next 2 drafts or we risk running out of time with the talent we have.

Thank you captain hindsight.

Who should we be taking this year?
So you think thats acceptable drafting do you these guys get paid big money to do a job they have failed miserably there is no denying that. That is what i was pointing out that is a problem that needs fixing and can be. Obviously you think they are good and would keep them on. Please grow up

So you think thats acceptable drafting do you these guys get paid big money to do a job they have failed miserably there is no denying that. That is what i was pointing out that is a problem that needs fixing and can be. Obviously you think they are good and would keep them on. Please grow up
I'm saying it's easy to point out mistakes in hindsight, if that was not obvious to you.

I'm saying it's easy to point out mistakes in hindsight, if that was not obvious to you.
Obviously. But that wasn't the point of the spiel it was that our list management team has been horrendous in the last 6 year period and heads need to roll

The much talked about lack of development of the list has probably been one of the more disappointing aspects of this season for me. We need to unearth some talent in the next 2 drafts or we risk running out of time with the talent we have.
The talent we have is the problem - 2015 GF was the test. Some have developed but most have stagnated as the game has moved forward.
Thera er a few injured kids that might offer something - beyond that there is nothing at east Perth. I think we have made positive steps with Masten (100 plus gamer subbed off in a GF because he is putrid) and Schofield being pushed out and Prides forced to retire. Interesting off season and it will be telling.

nah Hartung

Remove this Banner Ad

Back