Autopsy season 2017 in review

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives
We only got blown out the park in 4 games (including the SF loss)
Sheed & Duggan got plenty of games, a few games in the middle/half back respectively
Our defensive unit is the best in the league (although i think this will be picked apart by opposition coaches in the off season - so we have to be ahead of the curve and alter our game plan)
Kennedy still at his peak
A couple of youngsters got games (partington, nelson, mutimer, cole)
Petrie - i think turned out to be a valuable asset in the team
Things going our way at the end of the year, snuck into finals and carried that belief into the EF.

Negatives
Priddis & Mitchell in the same team, in the same position just did not work
Lycett not being able to get on the park
Being no1 or 2 in the league for time in front, given how many games we have lost when we had the lead in the 4th quarter
The midfield collective being so damn s**t
We ran out of steam in the SF, and subsequent belting - not the best way to send of 3x champions of the game
Hearing lecras is keen to play on in 2018
The way we finished the season Vozzo, Simmo & Co probably think we still have a shot at a premiership and will bring in top up players
Us fans had to break simmo's arm for parto to debut
Soft underbelly, lack of leaders stepping up to stem oppositions momentum (this is why we lost so many of those close games)

Overall it was an INCREDIBLY frustrating season, i just cant read this team. On paper we should be a top 6 team yet really we were lucky to fall into the 8. Its like the players don't have the resilience or the strength to buckledown and want to put in the hard yards to win a premiership. We really missed a golden opportunity in 2015. Pitty the players and coaches (via selection) shat the bed.

Positives for 2018
Natanui & Lycett will be back
Redden to replace Priddis as the main extractor
Sheed to play in the middle
Venebles & Rioli will be given game time if fit - will eventually push lecras & cripps out of the team
Waterman may also be exposed to the big time

Disaster! As soon as NicNat went down 2017 become a bust and should have been all about 2018/19 and beyond. We did the EXCACT opposite. Epic miscalculation and now instead of a quick mini rebuild and top end draft pick to play with we are instead marooned in the ladder dead zone with the prospect of offloading a bunch of aging dead wood, poor draft picks and little currency to trade. As horrifying the prospect is, Kennedy's career with us is now cooked and for his and our sakes he needs to be shopped around for a pointy ended draft pick.

Simpson...Refuses to play youth
Unhealthy reliance on NN
No plan B with NN out
Getting murdered in the guts saturday night but no changes
Not ruthless enough.Masten/Priddis
No changes to play the leagues ultimate running machine
Forward Coach..Jamie Graham??....There is a desperate need to change Jks role in that forward line.The big bomb forward doesnt work.How many more wasted finals campaigns do we need to see to change our methodology.
Hurn..Ok.Needs to vary his kick ins.
Priddis..Enough said
Reddan.gotten better as the season went on.One of few players with a bit of mongrel.
shuey.went down fighting on saturday
mitchell..good to have on the coaching staff
gaff..overated.s**t kick,cant tackle,and consistently calls for the ball in the wrong position which is everywhere but his left foot
sheed..lazy.Very talented but gives it away with barely a whimper
lecras..slowing down old fella.At least when he marked the ball he immediately wheeled infield and played on.Unlike a whole lot of hesitant teammates
Yo..Needs to get more physical
Mcgovern..glad hes around
barass..use your right foot more,get more physical.crunch packs when spoiling
wellingham..depth.
mckenzie..done enough.Would like to see him thrown forward occasionally
Hutching..Poor skills.depth
Darling..hasnt got a mean bone in his body.Yes i know he kicks 40 goals a year.trade him.
Sheppherd..Solid.gets shown up in body on body work
Cripps..Need to operate to get his chin off his chest.Trade him.Such poor body language.
Duggan..appears to have gone backwards.
JK...needs more space in finals.should be at CHF.Please dont bung on about being a twin Coleman meddalist.
Jetta..Nope.hasnt worked.
Petrie...Well done mate.
Vardy..bargain buy.

There is a lack of grunt in this team.Nobody gets in anybodys face.When they miss a sitter nobody gives them a razz.Our tackling lacks venom.We have a "nice" coach we have a "nice" captain we have three all australians.Dont worry NNs back next year.Gaff should be put on the block.We would get a high draft pick for him.This club needs to get nastier.

Unhealthy reliance on NN
No plan B with NN out
Forward Coach..Jamie Graham??....There is a desperate need to change Jks role in that forward line.The big bomb forward doesnt work.How many more wasted finals campaigns do we need to see to change our methodology.
Priddis..Enough said
Reddan.gotten better as the season went on.One of few players with a bit of mongrel.
gaff..overated.s**t kick,cant tackle,and consistently calls for the ball in the wrong position which is everywhere but his left foot
lecras..slowing down old fella.At least when he marked the ball he immediately wheeled infield and played on.Unlike a whole lot of hesitant teammates
wellingham..depth.
Darling..hasnt got a mean bone in his body.Yes i know he kicks 40 goals a year.trade him.
Cripps..Need to operate to get his chin off his chest.Trade him.Such poor body language.
JK...needs more space in finals.should be at CHF.Please dont bung on about being a twin Coleman meddalist.
Petrie...Well done mate.
Vardy..bargain buy.

There is a lack of grunt in this team.Nobody gets in anybodys face.When they miss a sitter nobody gives them a razz.Our tackling lacks venom.We have a "nice" coach we have a "nice" captain we have three all australians.Dont worry NNs back next year.Gaff should be put on the block.We would get a high draft pick for him.This club needs to get nastier.
Unfortunately your post/opinion becomes void when you spell my boy Sheps name wrong.

Disaster! As soon as NicNat went down 2017 become a bust and should have been all about 2018/19 and beyond. We did the EXCACT opposite. Epic miscalculation and now instead of a quick mini rebuild and top end draft pick to play with we are instead marooned in the ladder dead zone with the prospect of offloading a bunch of aging dead wood, poor draft picks and little currency to trade. As horrifying the prospect is, Kennedy's career with us is now cooked and for his and our sakes he needs to be shopped around for a pointy ended draft pick.

Disagree!

The opportunity for Mitchell to join the group was too good to pass up. One year playing and then straight into a coaching role. On-field and off-field coaching, especially of the youngsters. Once he was available they were always going to go with him.

What would a mini rebuild have achieved? Finish 10th instead of 6th? Move up 4 draft picks? I think 2 finals matches into the non-retirees was worth a 4 pick downgrade. How many games did playing Petrie and Mitchell take from our younger guys? Parto was ready 2-3 weeks before his debut, but that's about it. Playing Mitchell and Petrie didn't cause Venables to get injured, or Rioli to stop eating bacon double cheeseburgers. More games into McInnes? More games into Giles? That's not going to gain us much. Who else was knocking down doors in the WAFL?

Kennedy's career is cooked? It doesn't take Penn and Teller to call bullshit on that one. May as well shop Big Nic around while you're at it...

I can see exactly why the recruiters and MC did what they did. And if they had their time over I don't think they would've changed much.

Kennedy's career is cooked? It doesn't take Penn and Teller to call bullshit on that one. May as well shop Big Nic around while you're at it....

Kennedy at 30 wont be around when we finally resolve our midfield so you may as well get something for him now, while he is worth something. For his sake and ours.

That's got to be a coaching issue. How can a bloke that is amongst the best kicks in the league have only two kick in options? Short to the pocket, or long down the line? You might see him do something different once or twice a game (at most). I don't blame Hurn. I blame the back line coach, and Simpson to a degree. The set ups to utilise Hurn's kicking are bloody woeful. We should be one of the best rebound sides in the league for a point kick in, but I doubt we're any better than average - stats anyone?

At Subi, he doesn't even vary which side of the ground he kicks it to. Whether kicking in from Subi end or City end, it's always to railway side of the ground. Sitting on the Mainy Wing side, I can tell you that side of the ground is used once in a blue moon for kick ins.

Kennedy at 30 wont be around when we finally resolve our midfield so you may as well get something for him now, while he is worth something. For his sake and ours.
Given their ages and respective playing positions, I think Kennedy has 3 good years. Naitanui has 3 good years. If you think Kennedy should be traded, then Nic's in the same boat.
I think we can sort the midfield if not next year, then the year after. And when that midfield is sorted, I'd prefer them kicking to Kennedy than whoever might be in his place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree!

The opportunity for Mitchell to join the group was too good to pass up. One year playing and then straight into a coaching role. On-field and off-field coaching, especially of the youngsters. Once he was available they were always going to go with him.

What would a mini rebuild have achieved? Finish 10th instead of 6th? Move up 4 draft picks? I think 2 finals matches into the non-retirees was worth a 4 pick downgrade. How many games did playing Petrie and Mitchell take from our younger guys? Parto was ready 2-3 weeks before his debut, but that's about it. Playing Mitchell and Petrie didn't cause Venables to get injured, or Rioli to stop eating bacon double cheeseburgers. More games into McInnes? More games into Giles? That's not going to gain us much. Who else was knocking down doors in the WAFL?

Kennedy's career is cooked? It doesn't take Penn and Teller to call bullshit on that one. May as well shop Big Nic around while you're at it...

I can see exactly why the recruiters and MC did what they did. And if they had their time over I don't think they would've changed much.
I half agree,the opportunity to take Mitchell was great but we should have crammed as many youngsters into that middle as we could so they could rub shoulders with one of the greats.What was achieved by Masten/Priddis?Hutching etc playing in the guts.Waste of a F#####g year thats what it was.

2017 review...where do I start!

Poor, Lazy, Weak, Scared, Slow, Old, season of footy

Thats enough for 1 day

leCras declares he is keen to continue playing next year. Ewwwww

Unhealthy reliance on NN
No plan B with NN out
Priddis..Enough said
wellingham..depth.
Petrie...Well done mate.
Vardy..bargain buy.

Nice work dude

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can understand the frustration RE: LeCras, particularly when Priddis has been shown the door but the facts are he is needed for at the very least forward line depth in 2018.

One hammy injury to Willie and we're back at square one with new draftees and without the experience of Lecca. He doesn't want to play at EP than suck it up and be thankful your still listed.

Would much prefer take Hill out of the equation permanently first.

Given their ages and respective playing positions, I think Kennedy has 3 good years. Naitanui has 3 good years. If you think Kennedy should be traded, then Nic's in the same boat.
I think we can sort the midfield if not next year, then the year after. And when that midfield is sorted, I'd prefer them kicking to Kennedy than whoever might be in his place.

if we are lucky we can rebuild the midfield that quickly currently the talent to do it is not on the the list i was thinking minimum of 4 year to fix midfield problem, of course trading kennedy might speed up that process but i would first like to see what we can get for darling.

if we are lucky we can rebuild the midfield that quickly currently the talent to do it is not on the the list i was thinking minimum of 4 year to fix midfield problem, of course trading kennedy might speed up that process but i would first like to see what we can get for darling.

Geez, I hope it isn't 4 years. I'll assume Nic is at 80% of his best in 2018, and back to 100% in 2019. At Rd 22/finals time in 2019, Venables will have played 30+ games, as will Kelly* and Clark*, and Sheed, Shuey and Redden will have had 2 full years to get used to each other as the starting centre square group. At that point, I think the midfield is looking half decent. Kennedy is still an 80 goal/yr player, and Nic is at his best. Lecras is retired, Rioli with a 30+ goal season. I can't see why we can't go deep in finals 2019. Is that blind optimism? Maybe. But I think there's a path back to the top that won't take 4 years.

* draft dependent.

Geez, I hope it isn't 4 years. I'll assume Nic is at 80% of his best in 2018, and back to 100% in 2019. At Rd 22/finals time in 2019, Venables will have played 30+ games, as will Kelly* and Clark*, and Sheed, Shuey and Redden will have had 2 full years to get used to each other as the starting centre square group. At that point, I think the midfield is looking half decent. Kennedy is still an 80 goal/yr player, and Nic is at his best. Lecras is retired, Rioli with a 30+ goal season. I can't see why we can't go deep in finals 2019. Is that blind optimism? Maybe. But I think there's a path back to the top that won't take 4 years.

* draft dependent.

love the optimism and i do hope your right but i was thinking our young guys guys need to get passed 50 games at least before we can make a serious challenge, so 3 years to build then assault in the fourth.

Disagree!

Petrie, mitchell could have been draftees

Evrn mature age draftees like that kid at subi

i see the club is talking about recruiting faslo from collingwood another mediocre player just like redden and jetta how can we win a flag when guys like this are our trade targets. we need to be better than this or build from within, i think the latter course is the way to go just takes time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back