Autopsy Season 2017 review

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
General thoughts in here. I'll post player specific review threads over the offseason (Crimson Azure sorry I fell away with the mid-year ones it won't happen with these) but general team thoughts etc can go in here.

My tl;dr

Young players improved

Senior players stalled or regressed

Hard to say if the year was a pass or a failure

Goodwin seems reasonably promising thus far

Complete waste of 6 months. Weak, pea hearted bunch of kids who have no killer instinct or will to win.
Lose the unlosable and get too cocky when they have a lead mid game.
Can't go inside 50 with any skill or thought, and get destroyed on the turn over. Play dumb footy quite often.

Sure we "improved" from last season and won some good games, but a majority of the huge issues still remain.
Should have been top four-five with ease, and don't even make the finals.

Same old s**t, way too comfortable with themselves at any opportunity.

******* sick of this club and it's never ending disappointment.

I agree with the dude who said we need to get rid of the "cancer" Watts and Tmac can * off. Tmac played his worst ever game for us yesterday. Jones will have to stay because no one will take him. Also invest in a ******* ruckman who will put pressure on maxy

Good
- Clayton deserves AA and the B&F
- Hibberd, wow.
- TMac forward experiment
- Rolling with injuries
- Pedersen
- Garlett
- Nev deserves AA too

Bad
- Kent has gone backward at a rate of knots
- BenKen lying to the club
- Watts coming back

Ugly
- Finishing the season like that, now I'm going to be angry for the next six months. That was heartbreaking. Only the Dees could do it like that.

Unless they flog the s**t out of themselves during the pre-season and come out firing in 2018, it was all for nothing. Pretty footy for much of the season, but nowhere to be found once the heat was turned up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want the UOP against Wet toast next season. I have vengeance-lust in my heart.

The players shouldn't have a Mad Monday because the fans will have a Perpetually Pissed-off Preseason.
You can have it.

I actually wrote the one for a final too...

I just wanted to see a final, didn't care if we lost but after waiting 11 only to miss out by a small percentage on the very last game is just gut wrenching. The problem was towards the end of the season was teasing, It was almost like I wanted to lose just to know our fate earlier. Instead it came down to the last minute, exactly what I didn't want to happen. Now the thought that I'm going to have to wait another 6 month just to go through it all over again is just shattering. What makes it worse it wasn't even a team that have had a long period without making finals it was west coast the team that made a gf just two years ago. Football is so cruel.

I just wanted to see a final, didn't care if we lost but after waiting 11 only to miss out by a small percentage on the very last game is just gut wrenching. The problem was towards the end of the season was teasing, It was almost like I wanted to lose just to know our fate earlier. Instead it came down to the last minute, exactly what I didn't want to happen. Now the thought that I'm going to have to wait another 6 month just to go through it all over again is just shattering. What makes it worse it wasn't even a team that have had a long period without making finals it was west coast the team that made a gf just two years ago. Football is so cruel.
That's exactly it. I could have dealt with being pumped in a final because hey, at least it's a bloody final.

The streak continues.

Footy sucks sometimes. And I know there is only so many times you can put up with other supporters saying "let this one burn and it will all be worth it, you will learn from it" etc, so I will not trot that out.

I have really enjoyed watching Melbourne for various reasons this year that you will probably be better placed to discuss than I. Your young core will only gel more and I reckon you guys looked better with your backs to the wall when some more senior players were injured.

I still see similarities between Melbourne and Geelong when we were not-quite-there-but-thought-we were in the early/mid 2000s. Yes, you kinda fluffed it towards the end and I hope the players hurt just as much as the supporters because it's on them. It's unfortunate that the bitter taste can't really be washed away until 2018, but don't let it get in the way of some clarity and common sense when reviewing the year, the players etc. You have genuinely good young players. Not potentially good young players. There is a difference.

This year is still an improvement on last year, and despite the kick in the teeth tonight, there is no reason to think the trajectory should change next year than what you would have reasonably thought would be possible 48 hours ago. Focus on getting 13 wins, and see where you can go from there. It's up to the players to make it up to you, and I think they will.

Also please beat Norf next year. And dw you are better placed than the Saints IMO. I don't get the love for them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back