Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It worries me that Gawn went so far backwards this year, he could legitimately be a one year wonder off the sample size.

What worries me more is he has only put together one injury free season in his career. That's a huge issue at 25

Had a pretty good near two seasons - the Geelong game in 2015 to Round 2 2017.

Cops an awful injury, then just as he finds form gets hurt again.

Think it's just a terribly unlucky year for Max

Had a pretty good near two seasons - the Geelong game in 2015 to Round 2 2017.

Cops an awful injury, then just as he finds form gets hurt again.

Think it's just a terribly unlucky year for Max
I think it shows we really need a solid backup option.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
It worries me that Gawn went so far backwards this year, he could legitimately be a one year wonder off the sample size.
Have to give him a chance injury free next year to make that call. Interupted season with injuries. Looked like he couldn't or wouldn't jump for some reason. And he needs to work out this straight arm BS over pre season. Actually jumping at the ball should fix that. But he did get soundly beaten around the ground in nearly every game after he came back from injury. So maybe fitness needs to be looked at. I'm not sure. But I'm willing to give him and Hogan passes this year due to their issues. But both need big 2018 seasons if we are to progress again. Both are hugely important to this club as both are clearly A graders at full flight..

omit

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
You know what the worst thing about the break is?

Normally everyone would be pumped and excited for the finals, talking about match ups, heartbreak stories of injury, feel good stories about players over coming hard times. Just general finals excitement. But now we get a whole week of everyone talking about how Melbourne really ****ed this season up and should be playing finals before we get to a week of excitement and anticipation.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm still feeling very bitter about that pathetic roll over last weekend but we have clearly improved. We had a dream run in 2016 with injuries and yet still had less wins than this year when we've had a shocking run. It's hard to imagine how things could have been worse for us as a club injury wise this year, barring Maxy, Trac, Oliver or TMAC going down with an ACL. We lost guys who I think Will be crucial players for us in VDB and Joel Smith, then our two big guns in Hogan and Gawn effectively have their years wiped. Plus Viney on top. That's going to hurt any side.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Having had a couple of days to reflect, I'm even angrier and part of me thinks, you know, Jeff Kennett was right - MFC - get in a position to win a Grand Final or * off! Only in the sporting world could an entity produce no results for 50+ years - conversely, they produce spectacular disappointment every year.

We have turned things around from the Neeld era - but the bar had fallen so unacceptably far then - we've merely upgraded from pitiful basketcase back to soft laughing stock. Last years capitulation against Carlton was bad enough, this years was truly unforgivable. And if anyone thinks next year, we will just naturally progress into the 8 - are in for a nasty surprise. Even with our injuries this year, a top 8 spot couldn't have been easier considering how open the competition has been and how "weak" this year is. That opportunity will not likely occur again. You must make the most of your opportunities, as the Bulldogs did last year. And so what if they didn't make it this year - they've won the premiership. I'll take a premiership hangover over a finished 10th and missing the finals (again) hangover.

I hear that the players are hurting, club has copped plenty of abuse etc. But I have no sympathy, this club cannot continue to let its supporters down in such a way. The club needs to get real, get over it's pathetic past and start producing results ASAP.

A really, really, poor soft, self-indulgent and pathetic year.

Last edited:

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Having had a couple of days to reflect, I'm even angrier and part of me thinks, you know, Jeff Kennett was right - MFC - get in a position to win a Grand Final or **** off! Only in the sporting world could an entity produce no results for 50+ years - conversely, they produce spectacular disappointment every year.

We have turned things around from the Neeld era - but the bar had fallen so unacceptably far then - we've merely upgraded from pitiful basketcase back to soft laughing stock. Last years capitulation against Carlton was bad enough, this years was truly unforgivable. And if anyone thinks next year, we will just naturally progress into the 8 - are in for a nasty surprise. Even with our injuries this year, a top 8 spot couldn't have been easier considering how open the competition has been and how "weak" this year is. That opportunity will not likely occur again. You must make the most of your opportunities, as the Bulldogs did last year. And so what if they didn't make it this year - they've won the premiership. I'll take a premiership hangover over a finished 10th and missing the finals (again) hangover.

I hear that the players are hurting, club has copped plenty of abuse etc. But I have no sympathy, this club cannot continue to let its supporters down in such a way. The club needs to get real, get over it's pathetic past and start producing results ASAP.

A really, really, poor soft, self-indulgent and pathetic year.

Mate, how would you feel taking over the presidency of this rabble of a club? No truer words have been spoken amongst the wreckage of the last few days. Well said..

I'm taking heart in how shattered the playing group is to be honest. The admin, the rest of the club...you get it. But it's the players that need to attack this.

Wouldn't want to get in Viney's way this offseason.

Fat Tony!

Team Captain
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Aside from the obvious disappointment, the key lessons from the year IMO are:

1. Tom McDonald is a key forward. His marking and goal kicking is fantastic, as is his pressure when the ball hits the ground, and we should be aiming for 50 goals out of him next year.

2. Oscar McDonald will make it. The jury was out for me at the start of the year, but I think he improved and his kicking is not the liability that others feel it is. He just needs to put on another 5kg in the gym.

3. Dom Tyson is a butcher. His kicking is terrible and he is borderline best 22.

4. Our midfield is too inside and lacks skill and pace on the outside. Our most important task over the offseason is to recruit a wingman like Isaac Smith, Josh Kelly, Higgins or Sidebottom.

5. Melksham is a bona fide AFL player.

6. Hibberd was a fantastic pick up.

7. Petracca will be a gun, but needs to build a tank and drop 2-3kg.

8. Gawn needs to toughen up and throw his weight around.

9. Harmes and ANB made progress but Stretch has gone backwards.

10. Vince is a tagger not a backman.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I'm taking heart in how shattered the playing group is to be honest. The admin, the rest of the club...you get it. But it's the players that need to attack this.

Personally I'm embarrassed by it.

It's just footy.

Save the melodrama for the supporters like us and go out and get yourself a pretty girl and a bag of pills for the holidays.

Just make sure you're right for another solid preseason in 2018 (and remember to take the keys of Clayton next time you're at the pub).

Personally I'm embarrassed by it.

It's just footy.

Save the melodrama for the supporters like us and go out and get yourself a pretty girl and a bag of pills for the holidays.

Just make sure you're right for another solid preseason in 2018 (and remember to take the keys of Clayton next time you're at the pub).

Surely it should hurt the players more then? It's not just footy, it's their job, their livelihood, and the thing they have been working on their whole lives. I would be concerned if their reaction to the end of the season was 'it's just footy'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Words are pretty irrelevant for me mate. We all have to wait 12 months from now basically to see if they take anything out of it and improve.

cakewalk_1

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fitzroy Stars FC.
When you lose to Norf (twice) and Failmantle this is what you get.

Feeling very flat
Agree given what those two teams achieved in 2017, however when you have senior players getting suspended (Lewis and Vince) and I'm sure there were others during the season for several games surely that makes up the 0.5% that cost the dees 8th spot. (10points according to the stats)
It may have meant that WC would've needed to win by 40+ points against the crows.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agree given what those two teams achieved in 2017, however when you have senior players getting suspended (Lewis and Vince) and I'm sure there were others during the season for several games surely that makes up the 0.5% that cost the dees 8th spot. (10points according to the stats)
It may have meant that WC would've needed to win by 40+ points against the crows.

Should not bank to making finals on %, or on other teams getting us through. The loss to Collingwood was a season ender for me, regardless of what happened on Sunday. It showed a distinct lack of maturity - and getting through whilst tripping over isn't going to teach the players anything. Neither us nor the Eagles deserve to play finals and neither was/is going to win the flag. Eagles fans now will probably see this year as a moderate success (in contrast to our epic failure). But both teams aren't close to a premiership.

Either way ...... It was our own fault

We should never been that position coming into round 23.

Still mentally fragile when coming in to games as big favorites.

Time to move a few blokes on and get hold of some hard nosed players who can do the business when required.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
IMG_20170830_092518.jpg
IMG_20170830_092521.jpg
IMG_20170830_092518.jpg
IMG_20170830_092521.jpg

fushy

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nate better be learning everything from Roosy, the guy is a master of handling the media.

Sitting here a bit bored and thought I'd run some numbers around age and experience throughout the year given the discussion, particularly between DemonTim and Hotdees (please don't start up again fellas :p ). But the debate got me wondering about how we looked compared to our opposition in each game. I went through every Team Review on the MFC site (what a PITA) and grabbed avg age and avg games played and did some analysis.

What the data shows is -
  • We went into most games as the younger team (14 to 8)
  • We went into most games less experienced (16 to 6)
  • We had our best winning probability when we went in more experienced (5 to 1) or older (6 to 2) and we won every game we went in older and more experienced EXCEPT the last game against Collingwoof!!!! (6 - 1). We went in Older and more experienced on QB and won that. I think that may be telling in regards to mind set / nerves for the last game.
  • Interestingly however we had arguably our 3 best wins when we went in younger and less experienced (Crows, Eagles and Port)

In summary what this shows us is.... well I don't really know. Nothing really. 22 games is a small data set and it doesn't take into account all the other things such as ladder position, ranking, injuries blah blah blah. (Lies lies and bloody statistics)

I hope this does provide some insight for those asking the questions around ages etc in the GB&F thread.

stat1.jpg

stat 2.jpg

Last edited:

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
This year has been a massive missed opportunity, but there are still positives. We definitely improved, both wins and percentage show that. If we keep doing that every year then sooner or later we have to win a flag.

On top of that, several of our players definitely improved this year, Oliver the big stand out, but ANB and O-Mac both showed some solid improvement, with Melksham and Hibberd both being solid recruits (Hibberd probably more than solid).

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sitting here a bit bored and thought I'd run some numbers around age and experience throughout the year given the discussion, particularly between DemonTim and Hotdees (please don't start up again fellas :p ). But the debate got me wondering about how we looked compared to our opposition in each game. I went through every Team Review on the MFC site (what a PITA) and grabbed avg age and avg games played and did some analysis.

What the data shows is -
  • We went into most games as the younger team (14 to 8)
  • We went into most games less experienced (16 to 6)
  • We had our best winning probability when we went in more experienced (5 to 1) or older (6 to 2) and we won every game we went in older and more experienced EXCEPT the last game against Collingwoof!!!! (6 - 1). We went in Older and more experienced on QB and won that. I think that may be telling in regards to mind set / nerves for the last game.
  • Interestingly however we had arguably our 3 best wins when we went in younger and less experienced (Crows, Eagles and Port)

In summary what this shows us is.... well I don't really know. Nothing really. 22 games is a small data set and it doesn't take into account all the other things such as ladder position, ranking, injuries blah blah blah. (Lies lies and bloody statistics)

I hope this does provide some insight for those asking the questions around ages etc in the GB&F thread.

View attachment 409813

View attachment 409817

Tremendous work, love me a good spreadsheet. Reckon you could probably add a "comparable" column in there, ie the 6 days difference between us and Richmond probably doesn't qualify as making us an older side.

What I'm dying to know though is who you'll be billing for your time, Mr Consultant??

Tremendous work, love me a good spreadsheet. Reckon you could probably add a "comparable" column in there, ie the 6 days difference between us and Richmond probably doesn't qualify as making us an older side.

What I'm dying to know though is who you'll be billing for your time, Mr Consultant??

Hahahhaaa.... I aint no consultant!! I work hard everyday to actively discourage consultants (and auditors) in my workplace. (except those that were former employees that were made redundant and leave with a wealth of knowledge that we then see the error in our ways in getting rid of them and get them back as "consultants" to do the job we said we couldn't afford to pay them to do at twice or three times the price cos they can't be arsed doing it for the pittance we paid them in the past besides they are quite well off because they got a big fat redundancy!!!!!!!!!!) ......... no I'm not bitter!!!!

Yeah had a heap of different columns and stuff I coulda mucked around with but I kept coming back to the fact its only 22 games and wont add any value.

For me, ultimately we improved for the year. We won more games and some players really developed. We had a very poor run with injuries and we proved to be inconsistent. Yes the way we bowed out was a s**t truck way to do it but if any of us think that 99.9% of the team and wider club aren't just as disappointed you'd be wrong IMO. I sat there stunned after the Collingwoof game and thought, geez I hope West Coast get up and make the 8. Not for the reason of being spiteful or out of anger. More because the lesson learnt by the group will be ingrained that much deeper than if they were let off the hook with a back door entry into September.

I understand the pain of those older / longer suffering supporters but it still is just a game and wanting to inflict mental torment on the players and club staff (that most of us don't really know) bewilders me.

Fkkk off to the following players:

Watts. His chance of staying disappeared with that west coast win. I remember when me and richskee were on here pleading for the club not to take him over Naitanui in that draft and got laughed at. He was a soft school boy footballer, and he's a soft Afl footballer.

Vince. Do not let him set foot in our club again. I'm 100% dead set serious in saying I think he might be involved in spot fixing or something similar.

Neal Bullen. Just like his ridiculous surname, he's a clogger, f him right off.

Stretch. Never going to be a decent player. Bye.

Trengove- a given.

Tyson or Salem. One goes as trade bait.

Not even angry at Adelaide - we have only ourselves to blame yesterday. No only losing, but losing by more than a few points.

I am particularly angry at Vince's lazy spray shot at goal in dying seconds and McDonald for just having them a goal.

F this club.
The melt is strong in this one

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back