Autopsy Season 2017 review

Remove this Banner Ad

Having watched this club since 1954 (when i started to understand what the game was about) i have seen drunk presidents run AGM's (and give copious thanks to the sponsors who supplied the libations), presidents who would not allow questions, going to Camberwell to vote on separating from the MCC, rejoining the MCC, presidents who never turned up to games, a season where we won only one game (and iirc with a kick after the siren), Szondy, Schwab, Neeld, assorted other disasters, and the downhill skiers who couldn't get the job done.
So what's another heartbreaking season.

I was so ****** off with our CEO's comments a few days ago when he was talking up the prospect of us getting more prime Friday and Saturday night slots next year, saying you "get the fixture you deserve". (http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-08-26/more-prime-time-matches-for-melbourne) How the hell could he think we deserved those slots? When he made those comments we had not even secured a finals spot, which, of course, we failed to do. To have then drawn a comparison between us and the Western Bulldogs, who had won the premiership the previous year, was almost laughable.

My main concern is that this reflects a far deeper malaise at our club. I've followed Melbourne for something like 45 years now and I am of the opinion that the club has a far lower bar for what it considers success than most others. I am aware, of course, that after ten years of missing the finals the prospect of making them this year was exciting, but that is only a step on the path to success. The fact our CEO would think we "deserve" things for a level of achievement that many clubs would consider failure speaks of how low our standards are. Simply the prospect (not achieved) of sneaking into the finals has Peter equating our success with that of last year's premiers.

As has been mentioned, the club is contented far too easily. Near enough is good enough. What Essendon did five years ago was unacceptable and deplorable, but it spoke to an attitude that nothing less that ultimate success is acceptable. And despite all the deserved punishment they went though, they have moved past us and are back in the finals again.

Part of his job is to get us a better fixture so we can get more / higher paying sponsors and more supporters and more people to the games. Would expect him to market us positively to the AFL and wider football community. If he believes what he is saying internally, then I agree that would be a problem. I doubt he accepts mediocrity though.

Club is still on an upward trajectory since the current board, ceo, roos now goodwin came together. Next year is the most important year we've had since 2000. Making finals is now a non-negotiable.

Our biggest challenge has never been improving the kids. It's been improving the middle tier.

Watts Tyson Gawn Tmac Frawley Jamar etc so many blokes with 1 good season then not a lot after it.

We don't have the ability to produce guns only future guns and one season wonders.
Watts can go, I don't think we've got room for him anyway. Tyson, Gawn, TMac just need to get better. Tyson really needs to become a leader in our midfield. Pressure needs to be taken off Jones, and I think he and Petracca should be rotating from half forward. Jones is good for a goal or two and his pressure will be useful in our forward 50.

I like TMac at CHF, he is just a better forward I reckon. OMac and Frost/Lever is a good enough FB & CHB combination, with Hibberd and Salem getting around them.

Hahahhaaa.... I aint no consultant!! I work hard everyday to actively discourage consultants (and auditors) in my workplace. (except those that were former employees that were made redundant and leave with a wealth of knowledge that we then see the error in our ways in getting rid of them and get them back as "consultants" to do the job we said we couldn't afford to pay them to do at twice or three times the price cos they can't be arsed doing it for the pittance we paid them in the past besides they are quite well off because they got a big fat redundancy!!!!!!!!!!) ......... no I'm not bitter!!!!

Yeah had a heap of different columns and stuff I coulda mucked around with but I kept coming back to the fact its only 22 games and wont add any value.

For me, ultimately we improved for the year. We won more games and some players really developed. We had a very poor run with injuries and we proved to be inconsistent. Yes the way we bowed out was a s**t truck way to do it but if any of us think that 99.9% of the team and wider club aren't just as disappointed you'd be wrong IMO. I sat there stunned after the Collingwoof game and thought, geez I hope West Coast get up and make the 8. Not for the reason of being spiteful or out of anger. More because the lesson learnt by the group will be ingrained that much deeper than if they were let off the hook with a back door entry into September.

I understand the pain of those older / longer suffering supporters but it still is just a game and wanting to inflict mental torment on the players and club staff (that most of us don't really know) bewilders me.
You should broaden your sample size by compiling the data for all games this year. You can access the average age and average games stats on Footywire:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=9307#hd

The problem with Melbourne is you don't have any players who play for the jumper, and no culture of any kind of success. I really sympathise with your long suffering supporters. The bombers were basically gutted by an afl conspiracy to let clubs like Melbourne rise up the ladder, yet we still were able to make finals because of our culture and champion players who love the jumper. I think Melbourne are mad not to consider offering Jobe Watson a one year deal on big coin.

The problem with Melbourne is you don't have any players who play for the jumper, and no culture of any kind of success. I really sympathise with your long suffering supporters. The bombers were basically gutted by an afl conspiracy to let clubs like Melbourne rise up the ladder, yet we still were able to make finals because of our culture and champion players who love the jumper. I think Melbourne are mad not to consider offering Jobe Watson a one year deal on big coin.
Drugs are bad for you dude. Being an Essendon supporter, you'd think you would know that..

I disagree, Jobe wouldn't get a game at Melbourne. They are better than their ladder position. This heart break will be the catalyst for a surge up the ladder.

Lol tell Jack Viney we don't have anyone who plays for the jumper

giphy.gif

BTW if you are going to use tin foil conspiracies make sure they cant be disproved immediately.. the AFL found you not guilty. It was the world anti doping authority that pinged you which had no vested interest in the out come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL conspiracy, ******* lol. You got the #1 draft pick after your team got suspended for doping. Add that to the easy fixture you got from the wooden spoon and that's why you're in the finals.

Watson's a drug cheating piece of s**t years passed his prime. He literally would not get a game unless half our side was injured.

I hope he ends his career with an ACL this weekend.

Riiiiiight.
Nate Jones has played for the jumper every time he's stepped on the ground and Jack Viney epitomises the saying so straight off the bat you are wrong.
It's not your winningest culture and "champion players" playing for the jumper that got you into finals.
It's more the fact that out of being penalised for cheating, you were rewarded with a soft draw and a 1st pick (who is an absolute star).
The last thing we need is Jobe Watson.

Poor Essendon, the perennial victims. They did nothing wrong - they were the victims of rogue sports scientists, the AFL, ASADA, WADA, Caroline Wilson and the other 17 AFL clubs. They were probably also hacked by the troll factory in Russia.
Poor poor bombers.

AFL conspiracy, ******* lol. You got the #1 draft pick after your team got suspended for doping. Add that to the easy fixture you got from the wooden spoon and that's why you're in the finals.

Watson's a drug cheating piece of s**t years passed his prime. He literally would not get a game unless half our side was injured.

I hope he ends his career with an ACL this weekend.

Liked for the spite. :thumbsu: I hope Jobe makes it through unscathed though. :)

Watson is twice the player of anyone on melbourne's list for 20 years. Even better than Robert Flower.
Also it's "past". Not passed.

Watson is twice the player of anyone on melbourne's list for 20 years. Even better than Robert Flower.
Also it's "past". Not passed.
You've outstayed your welcome on our board with you s**t stirring comments, so please kindly take a hike

Too all the dees fans that are hurting I will promise you that the loss to Collingwood will be the best thing for your club. You list is good and you have a great and young midfield and a good forward line. You need a couple of good backman (lever would be an icing on the cake) to be real premiership contenders. The dees will be top 6 next year and will contend for a premiership in 2019-20. Just hang in their if you guys have had to put up with s**t for the last 11 years you guys can hang on for 12 more months.

The dees are in better shap then collingwood who at the moment are in limbo with no light at the end of the tunnel :-(

Lol. Essendon made finals because their draw was soft af which helped their percentage. They'll struggle next year.

Hurley Daniher Merrett mean they have guns on every like with Fantasia Parish and even young McKenna turning into guns. If they had our inside midfield they would be top 4 this year

Lol. Essendon made finals because their draw was soft af which helped their percentage. They'll struggle next year.

They're very similar to us except their midfield weakness is the opposite to ours. They've got better KPPs and Daniher could be anything but they don't have an Oliver or Petracca yet (Let alone both :D ).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back