Season 2017 - The weirdest and worst ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It started off great with everyone beating everyone. Premiership fancies would fluctuate from week to week with upsets galore and team A beating team B. Great finish to the year with many teams vying for a finals birth but by then the team fighting for the last spot didn't look worthy of being in the 8. The finals were the worst I can ever imagine apart from the Port vs Eagles game and even that was diabolical at times. The only good thing about the finals was Richmond, their story and the heartache they appeased for their fans and all the years of agony.

All in all, I think season 2017 was shithouse. Worst finals campaign I've witnessed and an appalling end to what was shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever. For example, the Saints played brilliant footy at times knocking off GWS and belting Richmond, only to fall to a heap after that. On the flip side the memories of that loss by the Tige's, their two chokes in a row vs GWS and Freo are a distant memory. Melbourne capitulated once again, and the doggies title defence if you can call it that was a sham. Adelaide Crows? Well they just lost to a far better outfit on the day and in the finals. But another team who tops the ladder, gets a lot of hype and goes out with a mighty thud. I can't believe I believed in them. I thought they were pretenders all along. And before anyone chimes in about Geelong, I'll sum up what I think about them in three words..

piss weak pussies.

the competition is very diluted now, the days of powerhouse teams are gone, every side has a fair few spuds running around, while there was some close games thru the season the standard was poor. 18 teams is just too many to have an elite competition, 14 would be about right.
but unfortunately the dollar comes before the product

PsnL0HO.gif

I thought it was pretty good

More like best season ever!

Anyone could have won it, so more and more teams come into each season thinking they might have a chance! Memberships go up, more people are interested in the game..

The Dogs and Tigers showed if you play the right style at the right time, you can win the cup!

Infinitely more satisfying then just watching the same teams always make grand finals, we had a stretch of ten years where it was the Hawks, the Cats, Pies, Saints, Swans, always making finals and GF's.

good for the Hawks and the Lions in their 3-peats, but it gets a bit old and dull seeing the same teams up there as opposition fans..

Hawks, Lions and Cats = 12 years of Grand finals appearances over the last fifteen. Include the Swans and Saints and you have 16 years. Five teams.

finally other teams making it.

It started off great with everyone beating everyone. Premiership fancies would fluctuate from week to week with upsets galore and team A beating team B. Great finish to the year with many teams vying for a finals birth but by then the team fighting for the last spot didn't look worthy of being in the 8. The finals were the worst I can ever imagine apart from the Port vs Eagles game and even that was diabolical at times. The only good thing about the finals was Richmond, their story and the heartache they appeased for their fans and all the years of agony.

All in all, I think season 2017 was shithouse. Worst finals campaign I've witnessed and an appalling end to what was shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever. For example, the Saints played brilliant footy at times knocking off GWS and belting Richmond, only to fall to a heap after that. On the flip side the memories of that loss by the Tige's, their two chokes in a row vs GWS and Freo are a distant memory. Melbourne capitulated once again, and the doggies title defence if you can call it that was a sham. Adelaide Crows? Well they just lost to a far better outfit on the day and in the finals. But another team who tops the ladder, gets a lot of hype and goes out with a mighty thud. I can't believe I believed in them. I thought they were pretenders all along. And before anyone chimes in about Geelong, I'll sum up what I think about them in three words..

piss weak pussies.
Id be sad too if my team was favored to get Jack Watts

It was one of the best seasons in a long time. Finals series other than Richmond and the Port vs west Coast game was pretty dull though.

I'd say it was more than 'pretty dull' though. Statistically the worst final series ever for blow-out margins I'm pretty sure (highest average winning margin). Richmond v Geelong final score was only due to the last quarter really I guess, and Port/Eagles is obvious, but the rest were teams who dominated general play just wearing down defences until the dam wall broke, you could see it happen every game and it was a matter of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree. One of the worst finals series in memory topped off with one of the weakest premiership sides in memory.
So in the last season? Majority here can't seem to remember further back that

What's enjoyable is how salty North supporters are towards Richmond after missing out on Dusty
ftfy

You go for Port and think Adelaide finishing first is the best season ever?

I love my footy and love to watch close games and a beautiful brand of footy than worry about who I'm supposed to hate. The crows were great to watch, so I watched them. Same said for the Hawks and Cats era of dominance.

It was one of the more even seasons I can remember but that was due to there being a lot of average teams on a similar level, even the finals teams got shown up as average apart from Richmond and even they aren't as strong as a lot of the premiership sides of the last 30 odd years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back