Season 2017 - The weirdest and worst ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Similar to the Cats 2017 side not worthy of carrying the Tiges 2017 bags. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

Been a while since you could say that about a Geelong side being inferior to a Richmond side, hasn't it?

Nevermind, normal service will resume next year and you'll be inferior to us again.

Been a while since you could say that about a Geelong side being inferior to a Richmond side, hasn't it?

Nevermind, normal service will resume next year and you'll be inferior to us again.
Doubt it. Once the monkeys off the back then everything changes rapidly. Plus the up side for us, we will never play again in that little boutique s**t hole you call home.

Doubt it. Once the monkeys off the back then everything changes rapidly. Plus the up side for us, we will never play again in that little boutique s**t hole you call home.
You blokes will fall back into mediocrity quite quickly, happy enough with one flag.. normal order will be restored next year when we pick up the double over you

It started off great with everyone beating everyone. Premiership fancies would fluctuate from week to week with upsets galore and team A beating team B. Great finish to the year with many teams vying for a finals birth but by then the team fighting for the last spot didn't look worthy of being in the 8. The finals were the worst I can ever imagine apart from the Port vs Eagles game and even that was diabolical at times. The only good thing about the finals was Richmond, their story and the heartache they appeased for their fans and all the years of agony.

All in all, I think season 2017 was shithouse. Worst finals campaign I've witnessed and an appalling end to what was shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever. For example, the Saints played brilliant footy at times knocking off GWS and belting Richmond, only to fall to a heap after that. On the flip side the memories of that loss by the Tige's, their two chokes in a row vs GWS and Freo are a distant memory. Melbourne capitulated once again, and the doggies title defence if you can call it that was a sham. Adelaide Crows? Well they just lost to a far better outfit on the day and in the finals. But another team who tops the ladder, gets a lot of hype and goes out with a mighty thud. I can't believe I believed in them. I thought they were pretenders all along. And before anyone chimes in about Geelong, I'll sum up what I think about them in three words..

piss weak pussies.
too young for 1990 I gather. Nothing tops that for weirdest and worst ever.

I thought the regular season was quite good. The game style shifted to a higher scoring style which is typically more exciting for the viewer.
It was a pity that the finals games weren't closer but it's just how it worked out.

Let's compare, shall we?

Richmond 2017

- Finished 3rd with a percentage of 118.3.

- 8th best attack of the 18 clubs.

- 3rd best defence of the 18 clubs.

- Had 2 All-Australians.

Geelong 2007

- Finished top of the ladder, three games clear, with a percentage of 152.8

- Won 19 of the last 20 games.

- Included a 15 game winning streak.

- Best attack in the league

- Best defence in the league

- Won two of three finals by over 100pts.

- Won the GF by a record margin, which most likely will never be surpassed.

- Kept two of their finals opponents to 50pts or less.

- Had 9 All-Australians

Want me to keep going?

Richmond's 2017 side isn't worthy to carry the Geelong 2007 side's bags.
Different era only 16 teams,.strong suspicion of assistance from Dank, dodgy f/s rules that no longer exist and most importantly you were playing against a side that gave one of the worst performances in a GF ever, so impossible to judge the validity of the win, Geelong are lucky this flag wasn't made void, it's up there with Essendons '93 flag in the asterisk stakes.

You guys are just a long term injury to Martin away from complete free-fall.

Different era only 16 teams,.strong suspicion of assistance from Dank, dodgy f/s rules that no longer exist, compared, lucky this flag is still in your cabinet.

- 16 teams = stronger league, as talent is less diluted as it is now.
- The suspicion of assistance from Dank is only bandied about by the mental short people on this board. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know that we had more checks and balances in place than Essendon had so any influence Dank had would be either miniscule or non-existent.
- Collingwood actually have had more players chosen via the F/S rule than Geelong did. Only Hawkins was the one we chose who was listed as a potential first round pick. At the time they were drafted, Hamish Simpson was expected to be a better key defender than Scarlo, and Gaz was only rated because of his surname. If he was named Gary Smith, he'd probably have rarely rated a mention.

You blokes will fall back into mediocrity quite quickly, happy enough with one flag.. normal order will be restored next year when we pick up the double over you
Mediocrity, a Geelong speciality, thats the reason you count a period with no back to back flags as a dynasty and like to count your 1800's VFA flags to bolster your very mediocre record in the VFL/AFL:$

Current record Richmond 11 flags, Geelol 9

You guys are just a long term injury to Martin away from complete free-fall.

- 16 teams = stronger league, as talent is less diluted as it is now.
- The suspicion of assistance from Dank is only bandied about by the mental short people on this board. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would know that we had more checks and balances in place than Essendon had so any influence Dank had would be either miniscule or non-existent.
- Collingwood actually have had more players chosen via the F/S rule than Geelong did. Only Hawkins was the one we chose who was listed as a potential first round pick. At the time they were drafted, Hamish Simpson was expected to be a better key defender than Scarlo, and Gaz was only rated because of his surname. If he was named Gary Smith, he'd probably have rarely rated a mention.
Checks and balances my arse, the Weapon said it all
Dean Robinson was signed as Strength and Conditioning coach in 2007.

After week 5 of that season Geelong went on an unprecedented run, losing only one game before winning the Grand Final by 119 points.

After this Grand Final win Dean Robinson singled out Stephen Dank as worthy of praise for his role in the Geelong win, through the information they shared with one another about strategies for improving player performance.

That flag has the stench of Dank all over it as does your whole "dynasty", this compared to a Richmond rampage based on teamwork hard football and pressure, Geelong without Danks influence have won 2 finals out of the last 10 and are back to being the handbaggers they always were.

Mediocrity, a Geelong speciality, thats the reason you count a period with no back to back flags as a dynasty and like to count your 1800's VFA flags to bolster your very mediocre record in the VFL/AFL:$

Current record Richmond 11 flags, Geelol 9

Seasons finishing 13th or lower on the ladder:

Geelong - 0
Richmond - 13.

Mediocrity indeed.

Geelong - only team currently in the AFL not to finish lower than 12th in history - fact.

Different era only 16 teams,.strong suspicion of assistance from Dank, dodgy f/s rules that no longer exist and most importantly you were playing against a side that gave one of the worst performances in a GF ever, so impossible to judge the validity of the win, Geelong are lucky this flag wasn't made void, it's up there with Essendons '93 flag in the asterisk stakes.
Lol NFI

After week 5 of that season Geelong went on an unprecedented run, losing only one game before winning the Grand Final by 119 points.

After this Grand Final win Dean Robinson singled out Stephen Dank as worthy of praise for his role in the Geelong win, through the information they shared with one another about strategies for improving player performance.

That flag has the stench of Dank all over it as does your whole "dynasty", this compared to a Richmond rampage based on teamwork hard football and pressure, Geelong without Danks influence have won 2 finals out of the last 10 and are back to being the handbaggers they always were.

I'd prefer to believe Bomber's account of it, since he was at both Geelong and Essendon....

A few years on from all this, the Herald Sun published a front page story that really annoyed me. It made a link between Geelong and Dank in 2009, a premiership year.

The story related to Actovegin, a calf’s blood extract used in the treatment of muscle injuries, being sold to the club by Stephen Dank. The inference was that Geelong might have been up to no good as well as Essendon.

The truth was, Geelong had bought Actovegin from a company in 2009, and had previously used Actovegin in 2007 when Max Rooke had a run of hamstring tears. It was not a prohibited sub- stance, so there was no issue at all, but what really interested me was the line in the story about Dank approaching the club to have an ongoing relationship, and what had occurred after that.

Geelong’s statement read: “In 2008 or early 2009 Stephen Dank’s professional services were recommended to the club. Our then assistant general manager of football operations Steve Hocking met with Dank in regard to this, but after that meeting the club decided not to engage Dank’s services. At no time did Dank have a position with our club.”

And right there is the difference. A similar situation had arisen at two different AFL clubs. Dean Robinson wanted Dank involved. One club went through a process, and said no and the issue never even reached the level of the senior coach, which was me at the time.

The other got excited and ran with it. What happened with Stephen Dank and his injection program at Essendon in 2012 could never have happened at Geelong when I was there.

At Essendon, it was an accident waiting to happen.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...g/news-story/6b99d1bfaa1b4fe70df21d92cda14ab2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond rampage lol.. your premiership win this year is akin to Woewodins Brownlow,

If that was the case then the Cats must have been absolute pathetic being smashed in the QF.
It's more a reflection on how overrated your playing group really is.

We were pathetic that night. Took you 3 quarters to really get on top of us though, and even that was only then when Dusty's opponent went off injured.

You forgot to whine about the final being played at the G?

Nah, then I'd be sounding as hypocritical as a Tiggers supporter complaining about playing an away game in Geelong, claiming thousands of the Tiger Army were being locked out, when the club had been locking out thousands of their own fans for years by selling home games to Cairns.

Bless you Tiger 2709. Absolutely nailed it. Still you have to laugh, even with the weapon/danks influence, handbaggers still couldn't go back to back let alone a threeepeat.

This is what grinds Geelong supporters gears the most and I love it

Didn't think it was a a bad season or anything. The only major negative was the umpires routinely ******* up the nominated ruck thing. There we're also some absolutely shocking deliberate out of bounds called. Umpiring in general seems to get worse every year.

Nah, then I'd be sounding as hypocritical as a Tiggers supporter complaining about playing an away game in Geelong, claiming thousands of the Tiger Army were being locked out, when the club had been locking out thousands of their own fans for years by selling home games to Cairns.
We demanded the AFL listened, as of next year you play us at the G, Carlton will be taking our place.

Its an insult making big clubs play at boutique stadiums, as for selling home games, dont Geelong like to play some home games at the G to raise money as well?

Last edited:
We demanded the AFL listened, as of next year you play us at the G, Carlton will be taking our place.

Its an insult making big clubs play at boutique stadiums, as for selling home games, dont Geelong like to play some home games at the G to raise money as well?

I do realise we play home games at the 'G. It's a bit different though to forcing our Geelong based supporters to drive or catch public transport for an hour or so to get to the game, whereas when Richmond were selling home games to Cairns their Melbourne based fans needed to catch a 4 hour flight.

Geelong has had a short period of success, obtained by nefarious means, apart from the last decade the club is and has been a failure for most of its history, at no stage has Geelong had more VFL/AFL flags than Richmond even though you joined the competition before us.

Normal service was restored when the sleeping giant awoke and Geelong brought out its handbags in yet another failed finals series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back