Season 2017 - The weirdest and worst ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Richmond were so shithouse, what does that make your other teams?

Oh, that's right ... every other team in the comp was better, it's just that they didn't win the premiership.
Richmond weren’t shithouse, but they made hay while the sun shone(not a great deal of power sides to rival them in the finals).

The trophy is in the cabinet, that’s all that matters.

Are you serious,.no you cant be, nice one nearly had me.

Edwards was sublime throughout most of the year and went to another level during the finals, his handballing out of packs started so many forward attacks, finally showing what he can do.
Yeah, but you chose Isaac Smith ahead of Trent Cotchin, so your opinion is invalid. Edwards just had a better finals series and grand final than any of the players you mentioned, and is more versatile, hence filling the last spot on the bench.
Why wouldn't I when choosing a wingman from the Cats and the Hawks? Isaac Smith is a quintessential wingman, and easily the best pure wingman out of Geelong's premiership seasons, Hawthorn's premiership seasons, and even Richmond's lone premiership season.

Anyway, Shane Edwards kicked 11 goals for 2017 as a forward. Isaac Smith kicked 14 on a wing...

Terrible selection. At least I can say Smith is the best wingman of the lot. Edwards isn't even close to being the best small forward, midfielder, or even utility.

Christ, even Timmy O'Brien from the Hawks kicked more goals than Edwards this year with 19...

Stokes, Wojo, Mooney and Rooke s**t trucks? bahahahaha, I’ll give you king and Byrnes, but even Byrnes was decent at his best.
Sincerely hope richoatthedisco was as high as a kite typing that. What poppycock
2007 was great. The semi and preliminary final are up there in the conversation for a couple of the best games of the decade. An incredible retiring class that probably won’t be matched for a fair while. A team exhibiting pure dominance on Grand Final day.
It really was. Never been more on edge than that prelim. Woke the neighbours after the siren lol.

Why wouldn't I when choosing a wingman from the Cats and the Hawks? Isaac Smith is a quintessential wingman, and easily the best pure wingman out of Geelong's premiership seasons, Hawthorn's premiership seasons, and even Richmond's lone premiership season.

Anyway, Shane Edwards kicked 11 goals for 2017 as a forward. Isaac Smith kicked 14 on a wing...

Terrible selection. At least I can say Smith is the best wingman of the lot. Edwards isn't even close to being the best small forward, midfielder, or even utility.

Christ, even Timmy O'Brien from the Hawks kicked more goals than Edwards this year with 19...
Shane Edwards is not a forward, he's a midfielder. And he missed 5 games through injury. You ******* moron.

Pure dominance DH, we played a half decent team, you played the power:$...why are Geelong flogs so salty?

Delusion, typical from a tiger fan.

Ironically, Port finished that year almost identically to richmond this year (remember 07? You came dead last for ANOTHER spoon) with 15 wins 7 loses.
Ergo, Geelong 2007 > richmond 2017 by 20 goals. No surprise though, a team of Champions and future Hall of Famers vs a team of nobodies who got lucky.

Last edited:
It started off great with everyone beating everyone. Premiership fancies would fluctuate from week to week with upsets galore and team A beating team B. Great finish to the year with many teams vying for a finals birth but by then the team fighting for the last spot didn't look worthy of being in the 8. The finals were the worst I can ever imagine apart from the Port vs Eagles game and even that was diabolical at times. The only good thing about the finals was Richmond, their story and the heartache they appeased for their fans and all the years of agony.

All in all, I think season 2017 was shithouse. Worst finals campaign I've witnessed and an appalling end to what was shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever. For example, the Saints played brilliant footy at times knocking off GWS and belting Richmond, only to fall to a heap after that. On the flip side the memories of that loss by the Tige's, their two chokes in a row vs GWS and Freo are a distant memory. Melbourne capitulated once again, and the doggies title defence if you can call it that was a sham. Adelaide Crows? Well they just lost to a far better outfit on the day and in the finals. But another team who tops the ladder, gets a lot of hype and goes out with a mighty thud. I can't believe I believed in them. I thought they were pretenders all along. And before anyone chimes in about Geelong, I'll sum up what I think about them in three words..

piss weak pussies.
I wonder how you would rate the season if the Cats won the flag? .

Ironically, Port finished that year almost identically to richmond this year (remember 07? You came dead last for ANOTHER spoon) with 15 wins 7 loses.
Ergo, Geelong 2007 > richmond 2017 by 20 goals. No surprise though, a team of Champions and future Hall of Famers vs a team of nobodies who got lucky.
LOL "got lucky"

Beat every team we came up against in finals easily.
Embarrassed the Cats first up, before beating the ultra talented GWS and then smashing the "team of the year" Adelaide in the GF.
Capped it off with the Norm Smith Medalist, Brownlow winner, MVP winner, two All Australians.

What a "lucky" year.

And I would guarantee Edwards sets up many times more goals than he kicks. The most creative player at Richmond.

Lol a team of champions that couldn't go back to back:$
A team built through dodgy father/son rules and Dank juice that wouldnt be posible in the cleaner 2017 GF, soft handbag carrying pea hearts like all Geelong teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Edwards is not a forward, he's a midfielder. And he missed 5 games through injury. You ******* moron.
Get ****ed. He's a forward, you moron. He spends about as much time in the midfield as Cyril Rioli.

In any case, missing five games is irrelevant. He still played twenty games. Timmy O'Brien played sixteen games throughout the whole year and still kicked more goals than the perennial plodder that is known as Shane Edwards. Hell, Ryan Effing Shoenmakers played eleven games for the whole year and still kicked eleven goals, equalling Shane Edwards. Bloke is garbage. More garbage than a Hawthorn C-grader.

Finals were atrocious.

Home and away season was fine.

Finals really were a let down though. Can’t recall a series so uncompetitive in my lifetime.

The worst part about this season was that it created a bunch of unnecessarily cocky Richmond flogs. They played well at the right time but the last two premiers are the weakest in a long time. They will be lucky to make the 8 next year

The worst part about this season was that it created a bunch of unnecessarily cocky Richmond flogs. They played well at the right time but the last two premiers are the weakest in a long time. They will be lucky to make the 8 next year

Probably finish 9th, but if they do make finals they will be out in straight sets, but if they do make the grand final they will get smashed, but if they win it they wont make finals next year.

Rinse, repeat.

Probably finish 9th, but if they do make finals they will be out in straight sets, but if they do make the grand final they will get smashed, but if they win it they wont make finals next year.

Rinse, repeat.

Exactly the type of flog response I expected. Enjoy the flag it's a great achievement but your underwhelming list overachieved in an even season. Drop the cockiness

Exactly the type of flog response I expected. Enjoy the flag it's a great achievement but your underwhelming list overachieved in an even season. Drop the cockiness

Only flogs use the word flogs, this is scientifically proven. There was nothing cocky about my post at all, it's what we hird all year and even after winning a premiership, certain opposition supporters injected with healthy doses of bitterness just cant handle the truth. Well I'm shocked!

Reminded me a lot of the 2007 season but instead of a bolter from from the previous year won the grand final instead of getting belted by 20 goals.

07 was the most even year I can remember aside from 2017. Felt like every team was rebuilding as Sydney/West Coast were on the decline after ruling for a couple of years. 3 of the top 4 didn't even make the finals the year before. West Coast had a good season but Judd and Cousins injuries in September wrecked them. Tredrea did the 'phone home' move and Cornes did the goose step in their thumping win over North at AO.

Geelong were crap for the first 5 rounds then out of absolutely nowhere went from zeros to unbeatable. (Still have no idea how such a complete team transformation happened so suddenly - and it must be at least partly attributable to it also being a very even season where a 5% advantage can launch you in the best couple of teams in the comp).
Hawks were still building (roughead and Franklin still young, Cyril not even at the club yet). North had come from nowhere and weren't yet established as a good team (as evidenced by the beltings they got in the finals). can't remember much about Port that year and the rest of the 8 were a bit naff.

Are you serious,.no you cant be, nice one nearly had me.

Edwards was sublime throughout most of the year and went to another level during the finals, his handballing out of packs started so many forward attacks, finally showing what he can do.
Edwards was a friggin handball genius on GF day.

Get ******. He's a forward, you moron. He spends about as much time in the midfield as Cyril Rioli.

In any case, missing five games is irrelevant. He still played twenty games. Timmy O'Brien played sixteen games throughout the whole year and still kicked more goals than the perennial plodder that is known as Shane Edwards. Hell, Ryan Effing Shoenmakers played eleven games for the whole year and still kicked eleven goals, equalling Shane Edwards. Bloke is garbage. More garbage than a Hawthorn C-grader.
Edwards a good amount of the game on the ball. When he is on, like he was for much of the year he is our best playmaker. Best hands in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back