Autopsy Season 2017 - What did you like, learn or hate?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by The_Wookie, Sep 30, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Neese

Neese Norm Smith Medallist

Carlton
    Other teams:
    Norwood
    Commentators and the gambling ads are a real turn-off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. SBD Gonzalez

SBD Gonzalez Norm Smith Medallist

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Kidding, right?
    Liked: closeness of the H&A.

Hated: lack of closeness of the finals. Worst finals series I can recall.

Freomaniac and clobba like this.
  3. TheKanga

TheKanga Brownlow Medallist

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Arsenal, Melbourne City
    Like - Ben Brown
    Learnt - AFL really pisses me off
    Hated - Umpiring, boring finals series, no stand out teams.

Boomerfan99 likes this.
  4. Wallaby

Wallaby Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Liked: Everybody!!!
    Learnt: The world is a wonderful place
    Hated - Hate is a terrible word. Can't we all be friends?

(Used to Hate: Condescending opposition supporters. Smug gits. Thank God I'm not one of those).

5. Lsta062

Lsta062 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Also learnt: You gotta watch out when a team beats a problem side in the finals (Richmond against Geelong this year, Bulldogs against West Coast in Perth and Hawthorn in 2016, Sydney against Adelaide and Collingwood in 2012). This to me is a sign that this team is riding a huge momentum in the finals series, and all 3 sides went on to win the Premiership.

Barry_Badrinath likes this.
  6. PerthBoy86

PerthBoy86 Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Liked: Close season, Richmond breaking the drought, Eagles close semi final win against Port one of the few bright spots in our season.
    Learnt: Adelaide have a soft underbelly and a tendency to choke on the big stage. Don't underestimate pressure or overestimate perceived skill.
    Hated: We were pretty ordinary most of the year. Saw 5 games live here in Melbourne and heard the team song only once after the game. Lacked pressure or hunger. Next year is uncertain, neither here nor there.

7. JoondalupJ

JoondalupJ Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Perth Wildcats basketball
    One major thing I am just so frustrated by is 50 metre penalties for petty things like the stupid 50 against Nankervis for following on when his opponent was about to play on and he must have crossed some invisible line.
    I hate the 50 for unimportant rubbish, lt can turn games. Unfortunately 2017 has not improved in the rules area where nonsense can create advantage and merit is penalised . The fact that a player making the play can be buried under several players and in fighting to get the ball or get away gets called with caught! The fact that the player on the bottom is usually the player who is first to the ball.
    Umpire discretion is just unfair in those situations caught in a pack like that is not a free kick.
    If the rules are not left alone and the stupid rules not changed back to reasonable, the game is being changed too much.
    I wish someone from the AFL would explain rule reasons with a "WHY?" Instead of just flinging them up every year ,without saying WHY?

8. WCE Wizard

WCE Wizard Club Legend

West Coast
    Other teams:
    That would be gold 8 of the 18 teams are interstate teams and the afl needs them to keep the comp going

9. JackFlash

JackFlash Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    QPR, Buffalo Bills, Melbourne Stars
    Like: It's an even competition, our game is still the greatest game in the world. It has it's flaws and the bizarro world that is the AFL do their best to over sanitise it and corrupt it, but the game itself is too big for the likes of Gil and his cronies to ruin completely.

Learnt : If Richmond can win the flag, anything is possible. Awards are on the way to extinction as their relevance is being diluted by the midfield centric media.
    The MCG proved once again that the Grand Final must never be moved ever!

Hated : The continual tampering of the rules, what's next? No tackling? Gil's gobbledygook is very annoying, they will "paradigm shift" him right out the door one day... The MRP (it's now out of control with one set of rules for H&A and Finals) Okay, then make it so. Clear the slate for finals. This clash strip business gets me wild every year and i will never stop hating it, especially WHITE away strips. The Brownlow is a midfield centric award, i do not believe it is really indicative of who is the best player in the competition. the Norm Smith medal was totally wrong and proof the media all crack a fat when they see Martin. Houli douli things need to change!

The Grand Final is an event and must always remain at the MCG no matter who plays, but teams that qualify for finals above another team after 22 rounds must play finals at their home ground as an advantage to make the Grand Final in the first place. Tigers scored big time with this. Finished 4th and played every final at home! The AFL must act on this.
    The Grand Final is sacrosanct, i am quite happy to meet the Tigers at the MCG in a Grand Final, but if you finish higher you must have some sort of advantage in the semi finals surely? If not, then start the finals by pulling the teams out of a hat for scheduling and forget the H&A positions ? ( now we all know that won't happen)
    GWS will be there again next season and you can bet your left knacker they will play a home final at Spotless in front of 20k, IMO every chance that will be against Essendon and no one will bat an eye lid! If Geelong are scheduled to play Essendon there will be an uproar if it's scheduled at Simonds stadium!
    If Geelong finish above a team (any team) then they must play their semi final at home. People do own TV's!

10. radiojake

radiojake Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Labour In Vain Football Club
    They paid that after the game was dead to even up the free count -

11. Family Pie

Family Pie Draftee

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    West Ham, West Perth, Boston Celtic
    Liked: Trip to Melbourne to watch the Pies/Dees final game, sat next to a great bunch of Melbourne lads, really enjoyed the experience
    Learnt: Learnt to be happy for Richmond supporters, though I'm kind of happy to not be in Melbourne ATM
    Hated: Tribunal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Ron The Bear

Ron The Bear Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Liked: We were the highest-scoring side in the finals, discrediting those experts who've claimed a Richmond win was "bad for football"
    Learned: Miracles do happen
    Hated: Loud music blaring as the players took up their positions after the breaks. I like me a bit of AC/DC as much as anyone, but turn that shit off at the footy.

Tiger Snake and Partridge like this.
  13. Ron The Bear

Ron The Bear Brownlow Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    It didn't go on the free kick stats.

Richmond jumped to a break of 4 or 5 early in the game; the numbers were steady after that. It did feel at the game as though we were getting a good run, which isn't surprising after finishing last on free kick differential over the season.

14. radiojake

radiojake Brownlow Medallist

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Labour In Vain Football Club
    you know what I mean

15. Joey longshadow

Joey longshadow Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Baltimore ravens
    Rewatched the prelim today.... GWS by far our toughest opponent in the finals.....

Grockadoc likes this.
  16. mattpolo8

mattpolo8 Senior List

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    Liked;
    My team: The come back. I know we just played terribly in rds 1-6 but regardless of who you are, to play finals from 0-6 is such an achievement. Blooding our youngsters is only going to set us up for the next 5 years. Buddy's year was simply awesome and shows no signs of slowing down, 1000 goals will be a breeze.
    Rest of the comp: The unpredictability. The nail biters. The upsets. Seeing teams like Dees up and about for the better part of the season. Footy is better when teams like Richmond and Melbourne are up and about, as much as sometimes we don't like say it. Melbourne is such a great city to be in and i'm so glad I chose to move down here 5 years ago.

Learnt;
    My team: We have some MCG September thinking to do.
    Rest of the comp: We can no longer write teams off. Dogs win it from 7th one year, RIchmond finish 13th and a 100+ belting rd 23 to win the flag the season after. It's anyone's guess as to what 2018 will hold I am genuinely excited for it. I think the general AFL community, as long as their own team is up and about, loves the idea of any other team being there.
    Some of the umpiring needs to be looked at. I don't have an issue with the rulesm but it's purely the inconsistency.
    Tribunal needs to be overhauled. 2 things to come from that should be that it's incorporated now with the AFL and not a separate entity, and that it sits the following morning after an incident rather then Monday. A Thursday night report not being looked at till Monday is an absolute joke.

Hated;
    My team: The start. Obviously. And just the way we ended the season. Everything in between was gold and we were the best team rounds 7-23.
    Rest of the comp: The finals were a disaster. So many beltings. Not entirely sure what can be done. The home ground hoo haa was a joke. End of the day, you are the home team, you get the home ground advantage. Maybe a clause should be inserted where teams a and b have over 60k members and the MCG is optional then it must be used for eg. But if Geelong want to host Dogs at Simonds then they should. Or Dogs want to host Geelong at Etihad then they should.
    Same thing goes with the clash guernsey. I can understand there being it for Ade/Rich, they have done it for the last few years, can't exactly stop it for one game despite the occasion. But the KB drama was a load of shit. Adelaide finished top, they deserved any advantage they could get, whether it's home sheds, first named, guernsey etc. KB forgets Richmond didn't have to travel further then a few km in a final despite not finishing top 2.

17. Joey longshadow

Joey longshadow Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Baltimore ravens
    Loved....the G yesterday was one of the happiest days of my life..... The killers.... Great grand final entertainment.... The bloody strippers curse from the 82 grand final broken

Learnt... Bachar Rance or Crouch should have got the Norm Smith ahead of Dusty, that's not to say he didn't have a great game... He did... Just not as good as those three

Hated ...not alot ,I could say some of the sour grapes from certain sections of big footy... But it seems I don't really care that much about it... So..yer..not a lot

18. Boomerfan99

Boomerfan99 Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Thunder
    Enjoy your day off.

19. Roostein

Roostein Debutant

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    This has been the case for decades. Carey and Ablet Snr, two of the greatest ever players, never winning a brownlow is case in point. I think coach's votes would be fairer.
    Agree. Given how close the comp is atm, you need to create your own luck to help win. Playing your home final away isn't doing this.

20. pazza

pazza Hall of Famer

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Liverpool
    Liked: Essendon's return to big things. Richmond's drought breaking. No Hawthorn boring everyone to tears.
    Learned: Footy is always great when a traditional powerhouse wins the premiership.
    Hated: the fixture. Can we please have a fair one for everybody.

21. Cold Sober

Cold Sober All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
    Like the fact another coach survives the medias 'let's get a coach sacked expedition' Well done Mr. Hardwick.
    Learned commentators and so called football people put romance ahead of fact and then sell it to us as if we know nothing about football, ie.Cotchin should have been suspended and Houli was BOG.
    Hated umpires continuing to pay free kicks to the Cormorants and knee droppers, also think shepherding on the mark is a bad look for our game.

Ashb23 and astrowizzle like this.
  22. WilloTree

WilloTree Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Claremont Tigers
    Not looking good for the bloke picked a 2 either.

23. AstonSouffle

AstonSouffle All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    You are literally the opposite of the people that call ball constantly in the crowd. Just highlighting how could you win when differences in opinion are so vast?

24. Hawk Dork

Hawk Dork Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Hawks
    Liked - Hawthorns kids stepping up
    Loved - That the future looks bright
    Hated - The holding the ball dropping the ball interpretations or lack there of
    and the so brave, bad governance, supplement saga re-writing of history BS

25. iameviljez

iameviljez Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Pompey
    Liked:
    • A club who hasn't won a flag, won a flag.
    • Deliberate out of bounds was actually one of the better, clearer rules this year and generally improved the game.
    Really didn't like:
    • Football as a spectacle has become really poor at times. The scrum effect is terrible to watch at times - see the first half of Geelong vs Richmond QF for an example.
    • The ruck nomination rule. What the hell is wrong with having a third man up anyway?
    • Coaches encouraging defensive football along the boundary line
    • Awful finals series. One good, eight shocking.