Season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree - it does need to be shared around and if they've had them recently then it might just be time to miss out. That said, if Coughlin Park wasn't up to scratch it would make sense to change the venue within Horsham, but it wasn't too bad recently.

I agree - it does need to be shared around and if they've had them recently then it might just be time to miss out. That said, if Coughlin Park wasn't up to scratch it would make sense to change the venue within Horsham, but it wasn't too bad recently.

Not about the club, its about the ground. Seem silly not to be using this oval as it is in great nick. Coughlin parks surface is not good and the surrounds are terrible to watch footy for spectators. Dimboola is the pick of places for the Grand Final, pretty happy with that choice !

If Coughlin Park continues to degrade then Saints should host at City Oval; but that call can be made pretty late. A few weeks of sunshine and it might not be too bad. On the flip side, a few more weeks of wet weather and both Coughlin Park and Dimboola might be too much of a mud pit. Isn't that how Nhill hosted both a Semi-Final and the Grand Final in one year? Did one of the grounds not come up? Or was it that because no one else wanted to host?

If Coughlin Park continues to degrade then Saints should host at City Oval; but that call can be made pretty late. A few weeks of sunshine and it might not be too bad. On the flip side, a few more weeks of wet weather and both Coughlin Park and Dimboola might be too much of a mud pit. Isn't that how Nhill hosted both a Semi-Final and the Grand Final in one year? Did one of the grounds not come up? Or was it that because no one else wanted to host?
Yes I think you are right about someones ground not coming up a few years back giving nhill an unexpected final. Nhill got the grand final because they had the best surface in the league that year and had just updated all their facilities, plus ararat had it a year or two before that so why not.
Dont like how finals venues in WFL are up in the air each year, many other country leagues have a rotation system and if you are lucky enough to play in a home final or gf so be it. In some leagues at start of every season every final venue is set. Each club gets their turn to host a gf every 7-8 years and each club gets equal opportunity to raise revenue at finals over the years etc. It works fine

A lot of effort went into Nhill's ground that year and even currently it could be the best surface in the Wimmera (a bit biased, but still).

A permanent rotation is an interesting way of doing it. It would make it easier in terms of planning and getting volunteers. I wonder how often a club got a home grand final, or how often a sub-par pitch got played on because it was locked in ahead of time.

I don't mind if we don't know the venues too far ahead of time; however, I do think all clubs should be given a chance to host a final (including the Grand Final) if their facilities are up to scratch.

A lot of effort went into Nhill's ground that year and even currently it could be the best surface in the Wimmera (a bit biased, but still).

A permanent rotation is an interesting way of doing it. It would make it easier in terms of planning and getting volunteers. I wonder how often a club got a home grand final, or how often a sub-par pitch got played on because it was locked in ahead of time.

I don't mind if we don't know the venues too far ahead of time; however, I do think all clubs should be given a chance to host a final (including the Grand Final) if their facilities are up to scratch.

Things just got a lot more interesting . Saints awake from their winter slumber and defeat the previously undeafeted burros.

Things just got a lot more interesting . Saints awake from their winter slumber and defeat the previously undeafeted burros.
Definitely a huge upset. Makes things interesting for next week's Dee/Burras clash for top spot & the week off. Burras couldn't choke could they???

Very interesting. Looks like nothing is certain this final series either. Great for the league.

Alrighty its finals time which means prediction time!

Premiers: Horsham - have hit form at the right time of the year. They may go straight through and win this flag with ease the way they are going.

R/up: Minyip murtoa - burras have gone off the boil a bit lately. I am hoping they can refind their early season form and physicality and somehow have a big finals series. If so they could do the majority of the comp a favour and stop a horsham based side winning the flag again which would be potentially the 13th of the last 14 years i believe. Its a big ask my money is not on them but go burras!

Warrack - have over achieved this season again lead by mckenzie. Could be a smokey but dont think they have the firepower to win it this year. Having said that their very best is competitive with every team so who knows?

Stawell - by far the biggest dissapointment of all the teams in the WFL this year. On paper before round 1 the warriors had recruited strong and people were saying print the caps but a good side on paper has turned out to be a big waste of coin for the club and unless we see some tuckey heroics i think these guys are just making up the numbers this year.

Saints: another team who is hitting form at the right time of the year. Look stronger with cooke harrison back and i think these guys at their best could take a few scalps along their way but i dont see them matching up well against the demons in particular and therefore are not real flag contenders this year.

Alrighty its finals time which means prediction time!

Premiers: Horsham - have hit form at the right time of the year. They may go straight through and win this flag with ease the way they are going.

R/up: Minyip murtoa - burras have gone off the boil a bit lately. I am hoping they can refind their early season form and physicality and somehow have a big finals series. If so they could do the majority of the comp a favour and stop a horsham based side winning the flag again which would be potentially the 13th of the last 14 years i believe. Its a big ask my money is not on them but go burras!

Warrack - have over achieved this season again lead by mckenzie. Could be a smokey but dont think they have the firepower to win it this year. Having said that their very best is competitive with every team so who knows?

Stawell - by far the biggest dissapointment of all the teams in the WFL this year. On paper before round 1 the warriors had recruited strong and people were saying print the caps but a good side on paper has turned out to be a big waste of coin for the club and unless we see some tuckey heroics i think these guys are just making up the numbers this year.

Saints: another team who is hitting form at the right time of the year. Look stronger with cooke harrison back and i think these guys at their best could take a few scalps along their way but i dont see them matching up well against the demons in particular and therefore are not real flag contenders this year.

Spot on...lets bring on the finals and lets hope there are some great close games

Any tips tonight? I think Ryan Mckenzie wins toohey medal...with billy hayes from Nhill an outside roughie to take it also.

My (biased) money is on Billy Hayes. He was leading last year at round four or so, before he got injured, and he's played every game this year. Nhill only having three wins could certainly make it hard; but the competition has also been pretty even so there may not always be three votes going to the winning side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My (biased) money is on Billy Hayes. He was leading last year at round four or so, before he got injured, and he's played every game this year. Nhill only having three wins could certainly make it hard; but the competition has also been pretty even so there may not always be three votes going to the winning side.
I reckon Clyne goes back to back. Obeirne the only one at saints to take votes of him. Hayes had a great year but 3 wins hurts.

Great point about 3 wins and thats why he is not the outright favourite for me...but this is the wimmera football league and in the last 10 years there was one outrageous toohey handed out in a medal count that not many batted an eyelid about. If i remember correctly Lenny clark from MM might have won it. Argall from horsham united got second and someone from dimmy got third. Those 3 teams all struggled and had less than 10 wins for the year between 3 teams yet came 1-2-3 in vote count so nothing would surprise me tonight!

Congratulations to Billy hayes wins toohey medal 18 votes to 17 sam clyne.

A clean sweep too for hayes...toohey medal as voted by the umpires, mail times footballer of the year and best opposition player as voted by the coaches. Rare that one player wins all three. Outstanding year all round.

Last edited:
Yeah, taking all three certainly confirms his credentials. When the umpires, media and opposition all agree it's very hard to argue. A close vote too - came down to the last round I believe (as did the A Grade netball).

Horsham should get the job done. mm would need to clog things up and hope for a scrap and a low scoring victory. In saying that Horsham are still harder at the contested footy. Mm have winfield and Cameron prepared to win it. Horsham have many who love to win at the coalface. How Horsham will win though is once they get it on the outside they have the hard runners to spread from congestion quick and the silk to damage from the spread as well. Horsham by 40.

Unfortunately I think you're right. Hopefully it's not a final akin to what we've seen in the AFL to date. But anything can happen on Grand Final day.

Anyone know why billy lloyd hasn't followed in his brother footsteps and made his way onto an afl list.
Is he just not that dedicated ?

Anyone know why billy lloyd hasn't followed in his brother footsteps and made his way onto an afl list.
Is he just not that dedicated ?
Heard rumours he wasnt rated as highly by his coaches and teammates as he rated himself at sanfl level but unless you were at that club who would really know. Could be that, lack of work rate, attitude or could be he just likes being a big fish in a small pond. Who knows his issue to fix if he wants to challenge himself to make it to afl and if not im sure horsham will be happy to kiss his arse for many years to come!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back