Season 2018 comings and goings ...............

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on our 'local' VFL club funneling players all to one club?
Was always a possibility with the Development Squads disappearing, but is it what we want in our League?
Talking potentially at least 6 players clubs being sent to one particular club due to some sort of unofficial alignment.

I did think an ex-premier had been a little bit too quiet on the recruiting front. Interesting no official announcements. A recent practice match will give a clue as to the EFL club involved.

Do both teams have a Raptor representing their club?
Surprising number of outs compared to ins (36 to 10) to the EFL Raptors.

Do both teams have a Raptor representing their club?
Surprising number of outs compared to ins (36 to 10) to the EFL Raptors.

BHH & Norwood.

Thoughts on this Cliff?
The strongers clubs are able to look after themselves but I do worry about those that can't. I guess that with the premier league coming soon it will have little effect. Not sure that Norwood need to head down this path, strong juniors & have never had issues with recruiting.

If it was put to the league to allow a VFL development squad to compete it would have been voted out with a large majority. There is something about this that personally I don't like, I guess we just see how it plays out.

Can’t say I really like the idea Bobby, for number of reasons. It can give a club an advantage over others without working as hard as their competition to recruit and develop players. It can leave a team unexpectedly short of players for crucial matches if the VFL club requires them for any reason. Team structure can become unbalanced as well. What happens it a player’s form is so poor that you want to drop him but can’t because that’s not what the VFL team wants or what if both your Full Back and Centre Half Back are required at VFL level.

I can also see that seconds and junior players may end up transferring to another club because the number of places in the firsts is reduced by a third. Players in the two’s may also end up leaving if they feel that their chance of playing in the seniors is limited because a player from the VFL team is playing in that position, despite consistent good form in the seconds.

Are you also required to follow the game pattern of the VFL team, despite it not suiting your teams players or ground.

All of those things have happened to clubs with players on loan from VFL clubs. I guess they will be magnified if all the development players are at one club, especially if the VFL or their AFL team has a run of injuries (Like Hawthorn did in 2017) and those players are required for an extended period.

We will see.
Limited opportunities for players in the seconds or U19's often end with players leaving for better opportunities in the firsts of other clubs. Have a look at Vermont's transfers in and out and see if this tallies.

Obviously quite a few country kids wish to have a crack at the VFL Gmac, & the tendency with no development squad is that they need a nominated metropolitan team. Clearly the Hawks see a benefit in them being at one local club.

To expand on one concept addressed by Cliff, not having to work as hard in recruiting & developing. The points system and salary cap were introduced to equalise playing lists. I do wonder whether the local club is able to pay 'unders' for these players due to non-competition, as the farmed out players are naturally going to do as instructed by the VFL club. This clearly puts the local club in a powerful position when it comes to contracts.

It is going to be interesting to see how it all plans out as per Cliff there is potentially some disadvantages that can come to such an alignment. I would love to know thoughts of other clubs within the competition let alone the league I guess as the season progresses thoughts will be formed.

Obviously quite a few country kids wish to have a crack at the VFL Gmac, & the tendency with no development squad is that they need a nominated metropolitan team. Clearly the Hawks see a benefit in them being at one local club.

To expand on one concept addressed by Cliff, not having to work as hard in recruiting & developing. The points system and salary cap were introduced to equalise playing lists. I do wonder whether the local club is able to pay 'unders' for these players due to non-competition, as the farmed out players are naturally going to do as instructed by the VFL club. This clearly puts the local club in a powerful position when it comes to contracts.

It is going to be interesting to see how it all plans out as per Cliff there is potentially some disadvantages that can come to such an alignment. I would love to know thoughts of other clubs within the competition let alone the league I guess as the season progresses thoughts will be formed.

EFL football does not need all these Box Hill players missing out on a game playing at 1 EFL club.

sfnl div 1 club seeks praccy game 24th march

d2 - d4
ground is one of the best in the comp
contact anytime 0432544766

I’m not sure Box Hill are funnelling their kids to one particular club. I know of another first division club that has picked up a handful of Box Hill kids as their nominated club that isn’t Norwood.

Thoughts on our 'local' VFL club funneling players all to one club?
Was always a possibility with the Development Squads disappearing, but is it what we want in our League?
Talking potentially at least 6 players clubs being sent to one particular club due to some sort of unofficial alignment.

I did think an ex-premier had been a little bit too quiet on the recruiting front. Interesting no official announcements. A recent practice match will give a clue as to the EFL club involved.

Just as the AFL destroyed the VFA/VFL by making it a reserves league, the VFL removing reserves can have an identical impact on the next level down - it’s the same situation.

Knox Council making it very difficult for the EFL, Bayswater and Boronia football clubs.No finals at these grounds how are we going to fit every one in on the MCG of the East if the D1 or will be Premier Division there in 2020.lol.Serious question,where would you play EFL finals if the Knox Council grounds are not available.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ringwood might be in the future if cricket allows footy on there for grand finals.A pretty impressive re development currently in progress.Short term will be difficult for the footy club where the ground will be un available until at least June.Footy club will train at Fred Geale Oval Croydon on Tuesday nights,Thusday nights at The Ringwood junior Ground with home matches at Fred Geale Oval Croydon.

Mitcham isn't long enough for finals so if it isn't at Rams Arena then it's probably back to Box Hill. Sadly, there's no longer enough room for parking at Waverley.

I wo
Mitcham isn't long enough for finals so if it isn't at Rams Arena then it's probably back to Box Hill. Sadly, there's no longer enough room for parking at Waverley.
uld have thought the Waverley ground on springy rd...gwh play there don’t they? Good surface. Avg rooms but right size.

Is waverley too far away ?? A lot of neutrals at finals . Don’t think U would get to many neutrals there.
Mitcham . Great atmosphere but it is too small
Boronia. Pass
Out of box hill and EB
And I pick EB .good atmosphere and good size ground . Can cram them in . Needs seating though . I have had some great days watching finals on the hill and terraces there!!

Yes, finals have been played there before. I think the last one was 10 years ago. Balwyn, East Burwood and Knox were the winners that year.

Former VFA ground Waverley is not close to any public transport and has limited parking available outside the ground, within a reasonable walking distance. Built on a former rubbish dump, it's interesting that two Premier Cricket teams have moved from there, and that the current team Monash Tigers no longer play on that ground but have developed the ground next to it as the ground used by their firsts and second's, leaving the old ground for their 3rds and 4ths to play on.

Box Hill is a lovely ground and has all the facilities, but I would prefer that EFL money went back into the League in some form, rather out to Box Hill.

Last edited:
Definitely 3rd div U18s in 2003 was played at Box Hill as I went to watch it a couple of weeks after our U15 grand final.
Reckon Cam Pedersen and Heath Hocking might have played up from the U16s in that game as iirc Graeme Hocking was coach.

Anyone looking for an under 18 practise match on Saturday. Everything is ready to go, umpires, at kings park from 9.30 sat morning.

Any Praccy match results?

Went and watched Rowville against Cranbourne, Pretty scrappy affair for most part, Understandable given the conditions
tight for 3 quarters, Rowville kicked 6 goals to nil in the last, to win 12 goals to 6

Upper hosted leongatha ones went down in an up and down effort. Few missing, hope it was a way of blowing out some cobwebs. On that big congrats to Liam Gellie and Andrew Godfrey on being named co captains of the club for 2018. A couple of juniors who are making their marks on the history of the club. Big shoes to fill of Risley, hence why there’s two of them! Twos had a good win( must be the coach) and the colts went down to heathmont in a good game. The local derby on sat at kings vs FTG is always a big day!

Lilydale played Montrose at Healesville

Dales won ressies easily, Montrose won seniors by a goal or so

I didnt go just heard the scores so cant report on players etc .....

Upper hosted leongatha ones went down in an up and down effort. Few missing, hope it was a way of blowing out some cobwebs. On that big congrats to Liam Gellie and Andrew Godfrey on being named co captains of the club for 2018. A couple of juniors who are making their marks on the history of the club. Big shoes to fill of Risley, hence why there’s two of them! Twos had a good win( must be the coach) and the colts went down to heathmont in a good game. The local derby on sat at kings vs FTG is always a big day!
What's happened to Risley, Lowey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back