Autopsy Season 2019 (Home & Away Version) - The Season that literally just was

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that we finished 3rd with the amount of injuries we had this season is amazing. Honestly, well done Richmond. Season 2019 is fast becoming a favourite of mine.
A lot of Hawks 2015 (14?) When Clarko was out for a few games
Got the players back for finals and did a number on everyone

We are a far far better team than we were in 2017 and think we are good chances for the flag.

Yeah a few s**t games, but every team has had those. Our good injury run was broken but we showed our depth has been good enough to cover it. For a team who had very poor depth a few years back, the club has done an excellent job in turning that around. Not sure 2017 would have turned out as good if we had the injuries then.

How good has Grimes been this year? I'm going to be bold and say this, whilst I think Rance is a better overall player, Grimes is a better 1v1 defender.

Prestia was our best/most consistent mid this year.

Lynch would have won the coleman if he was able to have a proper pre season.

Bring on finals!

Screenshot 2019-08-25 19.52.10.png
Given that this was the ladder after round 14 I'd say we would have taken 3rd and an interstate final in a heartbeat!! Awesome effort to secure some wins when we had players out that helped us get there and to win 9 in a row at the tail end. It's well and good for people to get critical of not boosting percentage in certain games and dropping games against Norf and Adelaide given where they finished but this has been a fantastic effort. AND we've gotten games into guys that might not have played much if all the injuries hadn't happened. It's almost like a free hit at the flag this year and we are VERY well set up for next year if everybody is fit.
Let's rock!!

I reckon I've enjoyed this season more than 2017.

Some amazing highs this year...
- Eagles win
- Port and Freo backs against the wall wins.
- Everything about Sydney Stack.
- Playing so many kids and giving them a taste for the future. Balta, Ross, Stack, Chol, Baker, Naish, Eggs, CCJ, Soldo, Bolton. That right there is invaluable.

We've also had some pretty significant lows...
- Rance ACL
- North/Cats/Crows losses.
- Jack, Nank and Cotch getting injured for long periods.
- Stack missing finals after being a gun all year, genuinely feel sorry for him.
- Higgo out for the season with brain bleeding. That's some scary s**t to happen to a kid. Hope he gets back to his best.

It's been an amazing ride this year and cannot wait for finals. Will definitely be getting tickets to our 2nd final at the G.
Go Tiges. Eat 'Em Alive.

Last edited:
Soldo went from delistee to a new contract

Feel Towner is done
Probably Weller, Menadue to round out the mandatory 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most important game for Richmond imo was the Saints one.

Richmond were out of the 8, had lost several in a row and were playing at a ground they play poorly at.

Looked wobbly at certain stages against a weak opponent but got through. Lost that and I think the season would've turned out a lot differently.

I reckon I've enjoyed this season more than 2017.

Some amazing highs this year...
- Eagles win
- Port and Freo backs against the wall wins.
- Everything about Sydney Stack.
- Playing so many kids and giving them a taste for the future. Balta, Ross, Stack, Chol, Baker, Naish, Eggs, CCJ, Soldo, Bolton. That right there is invaluable.

We've also had some pretty significant lows...
- Rance ACL
- North/Cats/Crows losses.
- Jack, Nank and Cotch getting injured for long periods.
- Stack missing finals after being a gun all year, genuinely feel sorry for him.

It's been an amazing ride this year and cannot wait for finals. Will definitely be getting tickets to our 2nd final at the G.
Go Tiges. Eat 'Em Alive.
And Higgo, don't forget Higgo!

Richmond were out of the 8, had lost several in a row and were playing at a ground they play poorly at.

Looked wobbly at certain stages against a weak opponent but got through. Lost that and I think the season would've turned out a lot differently.

Agreed I felt we started to lift that day.
Since then we've been on a steady upward projectory.

And that was the game where we brought a heap of players back in. Stats say that doesn't always go well. It's not just the wins against top sides that are the most important!

Agree that this has been an enormously enjoyable season, moreso than 2018 H&A.

That first Port win was arguably the most impressive; perhaps only time this decade that none of Martin/Cotchin/Riewoldt/Rance played and still got it done.

Lowlight was standard of performances at Docklands; adequate against Swans, awful against Dogs & Roos and just got by against a lousy Saints side. Seem to have a mental block at the venue.

2017 was unknown. This time then I wasn't even thinking of flags, just wanted to win a final. 2018 there was all sorts of expectations. That flag went begging, we had it on a platter and should be now shooting for our three peat. Not to be. This year was special as we faced all sorts of adversity and I honestly didn't think we'd make it. We unearthed our next generation and had some great character building wins. The win on the road against Port with almost the entire top 10 out was the best. Grimes and Edwards really stood up that day and Lynch put his stamp on being a Tiger.

As it's 2019 though it's worth looking back on the decade. Coming in we were worse than Fitzroy who hadn't existed for about 15 years. There is still a bit to go of this story, but imagine being given a crystal ball in 2010 and you saw that we'd make the finals in 6 of the years, including 3 top 4 finishes, a minor premiership and a flag. What Tiger fan wouldn't have taken that!? Toast to Dimma and the club for turning it around. Winning it this year would be special though to claim the end of the decade as ours in the history books.

Very solid H&A performance - in any case, = first on points.

But given our injuries it's been amazing. We have so many good kids I am very confident of our future. 2019 has allowed the coaches to be comfortable to play people on form, rather than just experience.

If we win the title this year, and unearth half an AFL squad that is almost unprecedented! Could be a great year in both the short and long term.

Love this club

Another great thing is that we finished 4th in points conceded with only 2 quarters and a half of Rance (our best defender) this year. Our defence has been amazing this year. 55 points was Brisbane’s lowest score for the year too and they have the most points scored in the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back