Autopsy Season 2019 (Home & Away Version) - The Season that literally just was

Remove this Banner Ad

Finishing 1st is a poisoned chalice. The list was held back in preseason and it told early with performances and injuries. Have to say wasn’t a fan, thought they got it wrong. And maybe we did ride our luck a bit prior to the bye.

Post bye to real off 9 wins in a row including top 4 opposition was a unbelievable effort. To finish off the season the way we have and not looking like the rest of the Comp has caught up to us bodes well.

In a better position than last year IMO. We are as good a team if not better than 2017 at the moment. Go tiges.

My fav H&A season ever...

Ridiculous that we managed to finish equal 1st on points with all the injuries we were dealt early on. Thought we were finished when Rancey went down, but my god do i love our backline and how they have stepped up, so proud.

Seeing guys like Stack, Ross, Bolton, Balta, Chol, Soldo come in and make a significant impact has been amazing to watch, it has left me so excited for the future despite being as good as we are now.

We are very lucky to be supporting such a great side right now, dont take it for granted.

When Rancey went down I couldn't believe it...
When all our other quality players went down I still could not believe it...
Higgo with his brain thingy!
Cotch with his hamstrings!
Ross's ankle!
JR!
Nank!
When we won against PA I was so proud of the Team...nearly pinched it against the crows...smashed by the Roos and Doggies...
Then crucified by some of the weirdest umpiring decisions ever...
Thennnn Sidney Stack arrives and we are rolling! I thought at least we have summit to cheer about in such a crap season...
Then Pickett arrives...wtf?!? and we are still winning games!
To beat WCE in the wet was such an awesome display of good footy...
To back it all up one week later, against the Top Side on the AFL Ladder, after weeks of wet weather heavy slogging was impressive!
Make no mistake we had some zip for a Q1...the umpires stepped in with bizarro free kicks to interrupt us building any winning momentum...but our stars were tiring...finally it was the B graders that carried us home with Vlas leading the way! Brisbane tried but we got home, super super effort!
Enjoy your 2 week break guys you deserved it!
Fully fit and with a fair shake of the free kicks we will be a very hard side to knock over!
What a turn around in footy fortunes and what a time to be alive!

Last edited:
As 2019 finals begin, let us never forget how close we came to not experiencing the past 3 seasons and whatever is to come.

If not for the mental fortitude, vision, and strength of Benny Gale and Peggy O'Neal at the end of that disastrous 2016 season, the Richmond Football Club would not be where it is today, and would not be gunning for a 2nd premiership in 3 years.

We were reborn from the fires of 2013-2016 to win our premiership in 2017. And in 2019, we're reborn again from the breakdown of 2018's preliminary final... I can't help but feel that 2019 is going to be the next chapter in what ends up becoming a legendary Richmond premiership-contending era of 7-9 years.

Watch Dimma give Rance his coaches medal on Grand Final Day too! :cool:

Ross's ankle!
JR!
Nank!
When we won against PA I was so proud of the Team...nearly pinched it against the crows...smashed by the Roos and Doggies...
Thennnn Sidney Stack arrives and we are rolling! I thought at least we have summit to cheer about in such a crap season...
To back it all up one week later, against the Top Side on the AFL Ladder, after weeks of wet weather heavy slogging was impressive!
Make no mistake we had some zip for a Q1...the umpires stepped in with bizarro free kicks to interrupt us building any winning momentum...but our stars were tiring...finally it was the B graders that carried us home with Vlas leading the way! Brisbane tried but we got home, super super effort!
Fully fit and with a fair shake of the free kicks we will be a very hard side to knock over!

:mad:

Vlas is not B grade.

Apart form that, excellent post!

We have options galore compared to 2017 where we built a premiership on grit, togetherness, determination and a relentless momentum.

This season we’ve shown that we don’t need to dominate particular stats to win games of football and have more strings to our bow.

Just got to get selection right and use the right bowstrings for each of the next three matches

Ross's ankle!
JR!
Nank!
IMHO Tigger is an A grader...

IMHO Tigger is an A grader...

100%

Our A Graders imo: Dusty, Grimes, Lynch, Riewoldt, Vlastuin, Cotch, Rance

Prestia, Edwards very close and are A graders on their day

Real grit shown by the Tiges this year with Rance down game 1, Jack, Cotch, Nank all out for extended periods as well as some our other regulars. But the upside has been unbelievable:
Player development (the young guns) and versatility development
Gameplan - felt like we had one last year and now feels like we can pick and choose what suits us better / doesn't suit the oppo
The back six have gelled.
Soldo - love Nank but some first use or at least an ability to halve oppo first use out the middle is more important than it was with 666 in now.
There is so much upside in our scoring abilities. I don't think we've hit right formula yet and there is a lot of upside in our kicking accuracy from set shots.
Didn't hold much hope at various points during the season with the injuries - turnaround has been magnificent.

As 2019 finals begin, let us never forget how close we came to not experiencing the past 3 seasons and whatever is to come.

If not for the mental fortitude, vision, and strength of Benny Gale and Peggy O'Neal at the end of that disastrous 2016 season, the Richmond Football Club would not be where it is today, and would not be gunning for a 2nd premiership in 3 years.

We were reborn from the fires of 2013-2016 to win our premiership in 2017. And in 2019, we're reborn again from the breakdown of 2018's preliminary final... I can't help but feel that 2019 is going to be the next chapter in what ends up becoming a legendary Richmond premiership-contending era of 7-9 years.

Watch Dimma give Rance his coaches medal on Grand Final Day too! :cool:
Sorry, but we don't copy others, they copy us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm absolutely loving it. Feel on top of the world with where we're at.
I think back this time 2 years ago and hand on heart would've been happy to make top 8.
WOW!!
Never believed I would be around to see us make top 4, THREE years in a row!!

Injuries earlier gave club the chance to unearth some awesome talent.
There were only the 3 bad losses imo and that was expected with kids and a defence adjusting without Rance.

Bring Finals on!!

This time last year I was filled with dread, just didn’t like the way we were tracking and felt our timing was off form wise. It just had a very different feel to 2017 dictated by the way were playing and ten minutes into the Prelim I knew why and was not shocked, I think many were the same and it’s why everyone seemed pretty chilled considering.
This season feels way different. Everything feels the way it did 2 years ago with the boys playing with a tangible energy that is electric at the games and seems to excite the players and the crowd.
There is an inevitability about the feeling, much better than the inevitability felt last year that’s for sure.

This time last year I was filled with dread, just didn’t like the way we were tracking and felt our timing was off form wise. It just had a very different feel to 2017 dictated by the way were playing and ten minutes into the Prelim I knew why and was not shocked, I think many were the same and it’s why everyone seemed pretty chilled considering.
This season feels way different. Everything feels the way it did 2 years ago with the boys playing with a tangible energy that is electric at the games and seems to excite the players and the crowd.
There is an inevitability about the feeling, much better than the inevitability felt last year that’s for sure.
Stop it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Most important game for Richmond imo was the Saints one.

Richmond were out of the 8, had lost several in a row and were playing at a ground they play poorly at.

Looked wobbly at certain stages against a weak opponent but got through. Lost that and I think the season would've turned out a lot differently.
For mine the most important win goes back further to port in Rd 4, all of the big 4 out & the vultures - media - were circling & were writing us off (which they have done at least twice), for mine that win showed we have genuine depth beyond any doubt & the belief they got from that win has carried them through the yr IMO. the Freo win also equally as big for similar reasons.

As far as the season goes like many if anyone had have given me a list of the injuries we'd cop i'd have thought it's going to be a pretty grim yr. Will be a great season to look back on in a few yrs re: kids coming through as the yr that set up our future & it also gives us a few educated calls re: the list going fwd, no longer are they "guesses' as to which players to let go of/keep we make those calls knowing what we have on the list. Would be an amazing end to the yr if we can go all the way! Re: the Saints win that is when we started to really get our season going with our players back & as stated previously in the thread we have built our momentum since that game. #gotiges!

For mine the most important win goes back further to port in Rd 4, all of the big 4 out & the vultures - media - were circling & were writing us off (which they have done at least twice), for mine that win showed we have genuine depth beyond any doubt & the belief they got from that win has carried them through the yr IMO. the Freo win also equally as big for similar reasons.

As far as the season goes like many if anyone had have given me a list of the injuries we'd cop i'd have thought it's going to be a pretty grim yr. Will be a great season to look back on in a few yrs re: kids coming through as the yr that set up our future & it also gives us a few educated calls re: the list going fwd, no longer are they "guesses' as to which players to let go of/keep we make those calls knowing what we have on the list. Would be an amazing end to the yr if we can go all the way! Re: the Saints win that is when we started to really get our season going with our players back & as stated previously in the thread we have built our momentum since that game. #gotiges!
Agree...they were big wins in the context of our Season being derailed because of injuries...Port and Freo!!!

It was a great effort.
The injuries could easily have forced us to climb into the eight late and bow out in an honorable loss to an interstate team, and most would have still applauded a good effort overall.
To have us as premiership fav's with the double chance is a credit to the new RFC, and something I didn't think was possible in early April.

I feel the same way over the last two years a few of you have already expressed so eloquently.
2017 was just amazing.
I decided late in the Home and Away season that I would take my turn hosting the Grand final BBQ that year, and started sprouting on about the Tiggy Train straight away to all my mates without really believing it.
Still not really believing we'd actually made the GF as I'm sitting front and centre on the couch in my shed Grand Final day with about 30 guests. Leaping up onto the back of the couch after each Tiger goal and falling (multiple times) into the lap of a mate's poor wife who had somehow scored the worst seat in the shed directly behind me.
Having to watch the replay the next day and realising I couldn't remember any of Jack Graham's goals. Listening to my daughter's playing with a ball and saying to each other "Oh no, Houli! You just dropped the Norm Smith Medal!" whenever one of them fumbled and wondering how many times they had heard me say it during the game.
Getting a bit of Premiership Memorabilia up in the shed, but my favourite still being the grand final promotion posters from the Herald-Sun, etc because they remind me of actually watching the game that day.

2018 just didn't have the same feel about it. Being frontrunners all season was just a bit weird and the excitement seemed to be missing.

2019, the excitement is back again. Epic moments like the Port Adelaide win. The Fremantle win, where I'm dumb*ed that Bolton didn't score a rising star nomination. Listening to the usual "Haven't beaten anybody good" comments and just smiling. Beating West Coast & Brisbane and just feeling the momentum purring along.
And do you remember that nervous feeling of being only 2 or 3 goals up with 5 minutes to go in the final quarter and just knowing that we can still completely * it up and lose? ( the Mundy-syndrome?)
Somewhere over the last couple of seasons that feeling has completely vanished for me. I always have a feeling of quiet confidence when watching us play, particularly when teams really come at us hard and we just weather the storm and then show them how its supposed to be done.

*, I love the Tigers!!!

Awesome season all in all considering all the misfortune we’d had with injuries etc

What I’m really happy about is how in 2014 when we won 9 in a row just to make finals it felt like a massive achievement, where as in 2019 we’ve won 9 games in a row to make top 4, and it feels like we’ve still got plenty more to achieve, and the players know that. Big shift in 5 years in terms of expectations and where the club is at overall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back