SEASON 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Berwick have been rejected by EFL then that appears to lock in Premier Division for next year now as the following 10 team division:

Berwick
Narre Warren
Beaconsfield
Cranbourne
Woori Yallock
Wandin
Olinda-Ferny Creek
Upwey-Tecoma
Doveton
Pakenham
I’ve heard Wandin and Olinda will drop down... they simply can’t match it.

This is a disaster every one with a brain saw coming. They have essentially ruined this league.

This is a disaster every one with a brain saw coming. They have essentially ruined this league.
On Sunday it was confirmed that Healesville will drop to Div 1, Doveton and Pakky to Premier, Seville & Gembrook up to Div 1, Warburton to Div 2. Broadford if approved to Div 2.

Surely Wandin are taking the piss?
Beat Berwick, Beaconsfield and Cranbourne during the season and finished 1.5 games + % off finals.

Surely Wandin are taking the piss?
Beat Berwick, Beaconsfield and Cranbourne during the season and finished 1.5 games + % off finals.
Where has it been stated that either Wandin or Olinda are going down? Wandin are going through a facility redevelopment next year though so that might be a factor if they are?

Where has it been stated that either Wandin or Olinda are going down? Wandin are going through a facility redevelopment next year though so that might be a factor if they are?

The post I quoted literally said that Wandin will drop down . . .

*edit*
Though maybe my first post should read “someone is taking the piss” as opposed to Wandin (the club) explicitly

Last edited:
Yes that will be interesting to see,but I reckon the MPNFL would rather Berwick Springs than Berwick.

Berwick would be a tricky one for the MPNFL. Their expansion is based on clubs quietly coming in to form a third division that will in time move up through promotion if they’re good enough. Berwick don't fit that and I suspect the MPNFL clubs wouldn't want them. Reckon the MPNFL are thinking more along the lines of Frankston Dolphins (the SFL one, change the name FFS, stupidly confusing), South Mornington, Chelsea Heights etc.

All the changes made have been mostly predicted, including Broadford coming across (the whisper I heard was true after all).

Berwick Springs are listed as one of the nine clubs in Division 1. I thought they would only field a Reserves team next year but they have apparently agreed to three senior sides. It will be interesting to see if a Northern League can be established.

I think the other Premier team requesting a drop to Div 1 would be Olinda (not Wandin) but this won't happen as I can't see any team requesting to go to Premier to replace them so whoever the team is, they will have to stay up. I don't think Pakenham or Doveton wanted to go up as they were finally in a division where they were competitive so I certainly can't see anyone else volunteering to waste a year in Premier. At least with 10 teams in Premier next year, the 6 weaker sides will play other similar teams more often than the powerhouses which will reduce the number of thrashings on the big South East grounds.

It will be interesting to see if the Big 4 hang around after 2020 when their two year agreement is up, but judging from the lack of interest in any other competition to accept them (apart from Cranbourne being invited to MPNFL) they may be forced to stay. I'm sure Berwick will try again and have heard Beaconsfield (SFNL) and Narre Warren (EFL) looked at their options but know they are tied to a two year deal. It seems that the EFL were going to place Berwick in Div 2 and those clubs rejected it.

Clubs such as Narre Warren, with 4 junior feeder clubs (Narre Warren, Narre North Foxes, Narre South Lions and Fountain Gate) should get Unders from Narre Warren as 1 point players and any players from the other clubs as 3-4 point players to balance up the points system better (assuming that this doesn't already happen). Valley clubs only have one feeder club and if they recruit from a neighbouring junior club they face a hefty points penalty so this is one way that the points system could be worked to get a more even playing field. Hopefully Narre North Foxes become another senior club as had been mooted.

The biggest changes which will affect valley clubs is junior and female participation.

Lumping the South East clubs together in one U18 Division and Valley clubs in another Division would create a more competitive balance (although juniors have always varied greatly) but may stretch some clubs in getting trainers and support staff to different grounds than their senior sides are playing at.

Female footy is growing but there will need to be a lot of teams formed to meet the League vision. Upwey and Mt Evelyn have strong sides currently in the Eastern League Women's but besides that only a handful of former Valley clubs have teams as yet - Healesville, Monbulk, Thornton, Belgrave and Yarra Junction. Officer will join and clubs such as Emerald are working hard to start up a team.

The other call made by the League that all clubs field Under 13, 15 and 17 netball is unlikely to get off the ground. They wanted to do that this year but it was only the South East clubs that were able to do this. The Mountain District and Yarra Valley netball Leagues have their own competitions and most former YVMDFL sides have an agreement with their junior counterparts not to field sides in opposition to them as there simply are not enough players to field teams in both competitions. Unless the League can convince the Junior Netball Leagues to merge with AFL Outer East then this won't be happening.

Last edited:
All the changes made have been mostly predicted, including Broadford coming across (the whisper I heard was true after all).

Berwick Springs are listed as one of the nine clubs in Division 1. I thought they would only field a Reserves team next year but they have apparently agreed to three senior sides. It will be interesting to see if a Northern League can be established.

I think the other Premier team requesting a drop to Div 1 would be Olinda (not Wandin) but this won't happen as I can't see any team requesting to go to Premier to replace them so whoever the team is, they will have to stay up. I don't think Pakenham or Doveton wanted to go up as they were finally in a division where they were competitive so I certainly can't see anyone else volunteering to waste a year in Premier. At least with 10 teams in Premier next year, the 6 weaker sides will play other similar teams more often than the powerhouses which will reduce the number of thrashings on the big South East grounds.

It will be interesting to see if the Big 4 hang around after 2020 when their two year agreement is up, but judging from the lack of interest in any other competition to accept them (apart from Cranbourne being invited to MPNFL) they may be forced to stay. I'm sure Berwick will try again and have heard Beaconsfield (SFNL) and Narre Warren (EFL) looked at their options but know they are tied to a two year deal.

Clubs such as Narre Warren, with 4 junior feeder clubs (Narre Warren, Narre North Foxes, Narre South Lions and Fountain Gate) should get Unders from Narre Warren as 1 point players and any players from the other clubs as 3-4 point players to balance up the points system better (assuming that this doesn't already happen). Valley clubs only have one feeder club and if they recruit from a neighbouring junior club they face a hefty points penalty so this is one way that the points system could be worked to get a more even playing field. Hopefully Narre North Foxes become another senior club as had been mooted.

The biggest changes which will affect valley clubs is junior and female participation.

Lumping the South East clubs together in one U18 Division and Valley clubs in another Division would create a more competitive balance (although juniors have always varied greatly) but may stretch some clubs in getting trainers and support staff to different grounds than their senior sides are playing at.

Female footy is growing but there will need to be a lot of teams formed to meet the League vision. Upwey and Mt Evelyn have strong sides currently in the Eastern League Women's but besides that only a handful of former Valley clubs have teams as yet - Healesville, Monbulk, Thornton, Belgrave and Yarra Junction. Officer will join and clubs such as Emerald are working hard to start up a team.

The other call made by the League that all clubs field Under 13, 15 and 17 netball is unlikely to get off the ground. They wanted to do that this year but it was only the South East clubs that were able to do this. The Mountain District and Yarra Valley netball Leagues have their own competitions and most former YVMDFL sides have an agreement with their junior counterparts not to field sides in opposition to them as there simply are not enough players to field teams in both competitions. Unless the League can convince the Junior Netball Leagues to merge with AFL Outer East then this won't be happening.

Yarra Glen looking at having a women’s team in 2020 fwiw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pakenham, Doveton and Officer are the happiest they have been in years in division one - not sure they are keen to go up. Speaking to people though the year all i heard was how happy they were. Promotion of both Pakenham and Doveton is probably not their preference. Both Wandin and Olinda will be in premier. I did hear a whisper that Upwey Tecoma may have been considering a drop but that was not supported by the club members and the new coach certainly didn't want this to occur.

The possibility of Berwick being placed in Division 2 EFL was unanimously opposed by EFL clubs after the initial proposal for the club to be placed in Division 1 received lukewarm support. Realistically the MPNFL would be the most suitable competition for the club but this will never happen!

Sounds like the Division 2 comp is more and more becoming a prelude to the mooted 'Seymour' league.

Next year they will have:
Alexandra
Broadford
Kinglake
Powelltown
Thornton-Eildon
Warburton Millgrove
Yarra Glen
Yarra Junction
Yea

To make it a Seymour-based competition:
Add in: Bonnie Doon (OKFL), Longwood (KDL)
Take out: Powelltown, Warburton Millgrove, Yarra Glen, Yarra Junction (geographic).
Possible: Avenel and Violet Town (KDL).
Future: Wandong?
Longshots: Kilmore (seem happy in NFNL), Lancefield and Wallan (unless RDFNL falls over), Mansfield (GVL).

Sounds like the Division 2 comp is more and more becoming a prelude to the mooted 'Seymour' league.

Alexandra
Broadford
Kinglake
Powelltown
Thornton-Eildon
Warburton Millgrove
Yarra Glen
Yarra Junction
Yea

Take out: Powelltown, Warburton Millgrove, Yarra Glen, Yarra Junction (geographic).
Longshots: Kilmore (seem happy in NFNL), Lancefield and Wallan (unless RDFNL falls over), Mansfield (GVL).
If the comp wants to grow then good on them for being pro-active, AFL Goulburn Murray coulda been all over this but chose not to, let alone virtually kill off the Seymour junior footy comp.

Longshots are a no, who knows ...if sold correctly and acccessible admin in the area perhaps your “Add in” and “Possible” could form a great little competition that near on encompasses the cricket and junior footy region up that way

If the comp wants to grow then good on them for being pro-active, AFL Goulburn Murray coulda been all over this but chose not to, let alone virtually kill off the Seymour junior footy comp.

Longshots are a no, who knows ...if sold correctly and acccessible admin in the area perhaps your “Add in” and “Possible” could form a great little competition that near on encompasses the cricket and junior footy region up that way
From what I've been told,Afloutereast and Afl goulburn murray have been in discussions, trying to work out what's best for these northern clubs.

Alexandra
Broadford
Kinglake
Powelltown
Thornton-Eildon
Warburton Millgrove
Yarra Glen
Yarra Junction
Yea

For anyone who cares,
Glenrowan football club have folded for 2020.

Absolutely care it's country footy after all. Didn't a few blokes go up there and take some serious cash and a Carlton ex do the same but I think he is from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back