Preview Season 2020 - Do we start with our LIDS OFF? AKA Kane Cornes get in the bin.

DO THE BRISBANE LIONS DESERVE TO START SEASON 2020 WITH THEIR LIDS OFF?

• 100% - ALL LIDS ARE OFF!

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • I have put the lid back on and will wait and see

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • We will make the finals, but after that, who knows?

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Opposition teams will be on to us in 2020 and we are going to miss the finals.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cautiously optimistic , but undecided. I am holding the lid, but don't know what to do.

Votes: 16 20.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My lid is off.

I dont see season 2019 as an anomaly. I see it as a result of reaching a quorum of hyper talented individuals that lets us finally execute a consistent game plan. I see it as our new baseline. So long as we maintain this level of talent and leadership within the football department there is no reason for performance to fall given the age of our list.

I agree our injury run in 2019 was a blessing and helped us perform quite a bit better. However I disagree that we should expect a decrease in performance if our injuries increase in 2020. Firstly the low injury rate is a credit to our medical and high performance staff and we havent had any change in that area for a few years. Secondly our depth isnt relying on players with known deficiencies. We dont have to rely on Lewy Taylor growing 10 inches and becoming a better contested beast or Nick Robertson suddenly developing increased football IQ/vision to move plays along quicker. We dont have to rely on Cutler becoming a footballer instead of an athlete or Keays developing leg speed. Those traits cant be coached. Our depth now consists of highly talented high end draft picks and we can rely on their natural improvement to become competitive instead of hoping they suddenly develop traits that are intrinsic and cannot be developed. For the first time in a long time we have a top 25-30 that are strong enough to play in other teams best 22.

My lid is off.

I dont see season 2019 as an anomaly. I see it as a result of reaching a quorum of hyper talented individuals that lets us finally execute a consistent game plan. I see it as our new baseline. So long as we maintain this level of talent and leadership within the football department there is no reason for performance to fall given the age of our list.

I agree our injury run in 2019 was a blessing and helped us perform quite a bit better. However I disagree that we should expect a decrease in performance if our injuries increase in 2020. Firstly the low injury rate is a credit to our medical and high performance staff and we havent had any change in that area for a few years. Secondly our depth isnt relying on players with known deficiencies. We dont have to rely on Lewy Taylor growing 10 inches and becoming a better contested beast or Nick Robertson suddenly developing increased football IQ/vision to move plays along quicker. We dont have to rely on Cutler becoming a footballer instead of an athlete or Keays developing leg speed. Those traits cant be coached. Our depth now consists of highly talented high end draft picks and we can rely on their natural improvement to become competitive instead of hoping they suddenly develop traits that are intrinsic and cannot be developed. For the first time in a long time we have a top 25-30 that are strong enough to play in other teams best 22.

Alright I'm sold. Lid is off!

Lid is on but not screwed down. Starcevich and Payne have me frothing to see what they can do. Im wrapped with the quality of young blokes we have drafted, many of them natural leaders. Its no wonder we dont have discipline problems to worry about, (touch wood).

A great blend of maturity, youth, class and potential in the squad. An excellent medical n high performance staff, (best in the business id say). A coaching group that has the respect and commitment of the players. A stable and hard working board, ceo, and background staff. A profit for the first time in a long time. And a training facility getting closer each day to completion. Theres a lot going right for the lions now, we as supporters have a lot to be proud of. I can only see injuries and rotten luck causing us problems next year.

My lid is off.

Well put. 1576837174880.png

And we start all over again ! Lid firmly fitted until there is solid reason for it not to be , so many things that may go our way or not , did last season may not in the next. That said we have every reason to be positive

Wait to round 20 they we wil
See

Last edited:
Rewatched the “Miracle on Grass” game today and my lid remains off because I am hoping that THROUGH THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING we can win a Premiership this year for Ryan Lester, Dayne Zorko and Daniel Rich, who have each been wonderful servants of our club. They deserve it! I realise it might take more than me believing we will win the flag to make it happen, but it can’t hurt.

Rewatched the “Miracle on Grass” game today and my lid remains off because I am hoping that THROUGH THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING we can win a Premiership this year for Ryan Lester, Dayne Zorko and Daniel Rich, who have each been wonderful servants of our club. They deserve it! I realise it might take more than me believing we will win the flag to make it happen, but it can’t hurt.
Caught the last qtr of BL vs GEEL 2005 on fox yesterday.. Champagne Aker.. My lid will be off if we start playing anywhere near as strongly as that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every year is a roll of the dice in footy because you never know who is going to really improve and what fate might have in store for you.

We've come a long way. We now have to maintain the momentum which is sometimes problematic as other teams will have done a lot more homework on us .

I don't have a lid , I go in to 2020 optimistic , hopeful that we get a reasonable injury run and that some of our players who've been on the fringe of breaking out do it. If so we should have another successful season.

I went early last year with the lid off, around May, when almost everyone else was still advising caution. We will be a better team this year, no way we are going backwards. I think we have plugged some small gaps to fix 1 or 2% improvement issues but lost our on-field leader however our big improvement will come from within, we have so many kids now knocking on the door putting pressure on for spots. Fagan and management have build a brilliant culture of continual improvement. Lions play finals and win 1 this year and big chance to go all the way - NEAFL again win the premiership.

Found it - April 2nd 2019 -
My lid is off because I want to celebrate each win like it means more than any in the last 10 years, I want to support every win like its a step in the journey and the more steps we take the bigger the celebration. frankly I'm sick of hold back and waiting for the ultimate failure, I'm going to enjoy every win this season like we are on the road to glory.

So in the 2020 season I'm going even earlier - Bring it home boys I'm going into this season fully believing this team can bring the cup back home and get a couple in a row.

From the round 11 2001 (if it bleeds..) yes but before that they were considered unbeatable especially in 2000 almost like the Tigers now.
Ah yes of course. I tend to forget Essendon were going alright given the dominance that Brisbane showed soon after.

I was looking for a spot to say happy New year to all the Bigfooty Brissie posters. I haven't looked up the site for a month or so, but when I did I found 3KZ has come back to Bigfooty, and the Lid post is up again.

We will have a very happy new year. I think we will have a happy year all year as we have talented side that is well worth watching.

Happy new year everybody

I was looking for a spot to say happy New year to all the Bigfooty Brissie posters. I haven't looked up the site for a month or so, but when I did I found 3KZ has come back to Bigfooty, and the Lid post is up again.

We will have a very happy new year. I think we will have a happy year all year as we have talented side that is well worth watching.

Happy new year everybody
Happy New year Phil.

Lid goes back on for me. Starting with lid off is just tempting fate IMO. Get all hopeful and then........CRASH! Train coming off rails at full speed and we back to the bad ol' days of hating life and wishing that the power of my mind alone would catapult the Club into the success stratosphere.

Having said that though, kudos to anyone whose optimism is staying.....uncaged :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back