Season 2020 news - 2020 season cancelled (8 July 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

To wit MrP

Mynott, Bowman, Lo Grice and Wall confirmed

In a purple patch of recruiting, the Hawks have also enlisted Andrew Wall (Wentworth FC), Josh Le Grice (Sandringham Dragons) and Riley Bowman (Essendon VFL/Sandringham Dragons) ahead of the 2020 season.

Fixture released. 5 curtain raisers

Box Hill will kick off its 2020 campaign under Friday night lights as it takes on the Pies at the Holden Centre.
In the Hawks’ 2020 fixture revealed today, fans can expect some blockbuster clashes, including five AFL curtain raisers across the MCG and Marvel Stadium.
Box Hill’s first home game at City Oval will come in Anzac Day Round (Round 4), as Max Bailey’s men take on Frankston.

Mynott, Bowman, Lo Grice and Wall confirmed

Talk about a late flurry of signing so close to Xmas - happy days!!

Seems we have been very aggressive with getting some talent into Box Hill this year. Can I ask, is this for player development to help with on field leadership to lead the way on the field; or some mature bodies to help out the younger ones while they develop given there is no development Keage now; or is a competitive team useful for going deep into finals to keep them match fit for senior team etc? Seems the busiest we’ve been in the off season at VFL level.

Seems we have been very aggressive with getting some talent into Box Hill this year. Can I ask, is this for player development to help with on field leadership to lead the way on the field; or some mature bodies to help out the younger ones while they develop given there is no development Keage now; or is a competitive team useful for going deep into finals to keep them match fit for senior team etc? Seems the busiest we’ve been in the off season at VFL level.
We lost a heap of mature bodies over the last couple of seasons through Box Hill losses (Moore, O’Donnell, Meadows, etc.) as well as Hawthorn losses (O’Rourke, Langford, Wilsmore, etc.). It’s important not to through lightly framed, inexperienced kids ’to the wolves’ so the recruitment drive helps keep Box Hill competitive and gives them depth in areas that Hawthorn might not have enough of to cover at both AFL and VFL levels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be a slow start for Wall. First session he was in a knee brace and on crutches. Obviously didn’t join in any training.

There should be some new signing announced soon including Eastern Ranges Todd Garner [NGA] and James Ross. I have been told Lachie
Stapleton and Mitch Mellis were training at Williamstown before Christmas.

The following changes have been made to the VFL list rules:

• VFL clubs will have a development list introduced, made up of 19-year-old players.
  • All clubs will be required to play 23 players per match, which will include 1 x 19-year-old development player and 1 x under-21 player (i.e traditional 23rd player).
  • List structures for 2020 will be as follows:
    • Non-AFL clubs can list up to 46 players, including 40 x primary listed players and 6 development list players.
    • AFL aligned clubs can list up to 36 players, including 30 x primary listed players and 6 x development list players.
    • AFL clubs can list up to 30 players, including 24 x primary list players and 6 x development list players.
  • An additional rookie list of two players is available to all VFL teams which will include NGA players and players who meet the AFL category B Rookie criteria.
  • A father/son rule will be introduced in 2020 which allows a club to list a player whose father played 100 games or more for the club (including AFL and AFL aligned clubs). These players will be listed on a club’s development list.
  • Aside from current finals eligibility rules, no other playing restrictions will apply in the finals series.

Great news that Garner has come on board.

Is James related to Jackson at all?
For a brief second there, I thought you were referring to James Garner! LOL
rockford_files.jpg

A father/son rule will be introduced in 2020 which allows a club to list a player whose father played 100 games or more for the club (including AFL and AFL aligned clubs). These players will be listed on a club’s development list.
Since Tom Graham has been training with the BHH I'd expect he will be signed under this rule.
streetspirit - Jackson Ross has confirmed he is not related to James Ross.
The final list should be announced soon.

Getting Garner and Tom Graham at BHH for development - basically under our wing for coaching but not taking up a list spot just yet - is a great feature of this new rule. We still get first rights to them if we can nurture something out of it so nothing to lose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back